Pellet grill

new indyguy

Reaction score
Pellet grills aren't really made for searing steak (quick & intense heat). Propane or NG is better for that.

With the Loisianna Grills they have a searing plate that you can adjust to sear your steaks. Works great. That was the main factor why I bought this grill vs the Traegar.
I tried it with some burgers first - burnt them up - lol. Seared way faster than I thought they would...…..

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the Loisianna Grills they have a searing plate that you can adjust to sear your steaks. Works great. That was the main factor why I bought this grill vs the Traegar.
I tried it with some burgers first - burnt them up - lol. Seared way faster than I thought they would...…..

I think the pit boss is the way to go, I wish I’d of seen one before I bought my treager

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
So I have a four burner Vermont Casting natural gas bbq but want to get into smoking more. I have done the foil pouches with wood chips a few times it works ok, I'm wondering if there is a better way to smoke with a natural gas bbq? Any suggestions? I would love to buy a true smoker but I don't have room on my deck for it.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on which pellets are best, or if it makes a difference? Pit boss ones are a little better bang for the buck on Costco's site

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on which pellets are best, or if it makes a difference? Pit boss ones are a little better bang for the buck on Costco's site

Best.. or Worth the cost is a better question maybe.

I've tried lots, Traeger Hickory is my fav. But I use Pit boss the most for cost and I don't notice a huge difference. On sale from walmart.ca was cheapest place so far I've found. Pit boss from costco cheapest when not on sale from walmart

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I loaded up on Louisiana and Pitboss pellets last winter when they had a clearance sale at Canadian Tire and they are OK but the best I have used so far and probably the best there is is LumberJack pellets. You have to find a dealer that carries them which can be hard but they probably are the best and only a little more per bag than pitboss or treager.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peeve Mart I had bad luck with.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to traeger store today
Got pellets and spices
Chicken smoking now

Lammy

Reaction score
Don't go near a Louisiana, I decided to retire my 12 year old Traeger and bought one. Pure garbage. The digital controller is a hunk of junk and will not maintain set temps. I like to make Jerky and when I set my temp to 180 it won't even come close to that, stays up around 230-250. They have sent me 3 new controllers on warranty and it still doesn't work properly. Going back to a Traeger next spring.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't go near a Louisiana, I decided to retire my 12 year old Traeger and bought one. Pure garbage. The digital controller is a hunk of junk and will not maintain set temps. I like to make Jerky and when I set my temp to 180 it won't even come close to that, stays up around 230-250. They have sent me 3 new controllers on warranty and it still doesn't work properly. Going back to a Traeger next spring.

give green mountain grills a look. Replaced my traeger from 07 with a GMG and they are built a lot heavier and hold their set point well.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give green mountain grills a look. Replaced my traeger from 07 with a GMG and they are built a lot heavier and hold their set point well.

My two year old traeger doesn’t hold a candle to my new traeger with the new D2 controller.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a Traeger for 7 years and haven’t lit my propane BBQ since. I find that I don’t need to sear a steak on the Traeger as it doesn’t dry out like on a propane grill.

If you want to really step up, check out Yoders. These units are built like a tank but better looking.

Westview COOP in Consort sells Pit Boss, Yoders, Lumberjack pellets, and different sauces and rubs.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a Traeger for 7 years and haven’t lit my propane BBQ since. I find that I don’t need to sear a steak on the Traeger as it doesn’t dry out like on a propane grill.

If you want to really step up, check out Yoders. These units are built like a tank but better looking.

Westview COOP in Consort sells Pit Boss, Yoders, Lumberjack pellets, and different sauces and rubs.

Yoder and Grilla Grills. There is a small shop near me that brings in the Grilla Grills and they are nice too.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm VERY impressed with our Traeger. I'm a cheapskate and I can say ours was worth every penny. They shine the most on low and slow for roasts, chickens, turkeys, etc. With the probe and wifire app it's pretty amazing to be working out in the shop and be able to check the internal temp of a roast and adjust the temp on the grill accordingly on my phone. Every single time they are done to perfection. Best prime rib I have ever had in my life.

Only complaint is it takes a while to warm up so if we want to just cook up a couple burgers it's not worth using some times. Another thing is the pellet use is definitely more expensive than propane. Might be getting nitpicky, but the shutdown cycle really pisses me off. Especially when you have an adorable 18 month old daughter that just can't resist that big shiny red switch on the back that is right at her height. Seems you have to go through the full shut down cycle before you can fire the damned thing up again.

I still love ours though

Top Bottom