Pellet grill

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Traegers have there place however not a fan of them . Get a Green Egg or a Kamado Joe . Does way more than a Traeger and cook year round

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s nice seeing competition in the grill world.

Some great new models coming out.

My Treager is 6 years old now and it’s a basic model compared to the new ones. Still works good so will keep it for a while.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Traegers have there place however not a fan of them . Get a Green Egg or a Kamado Joe . Does way more than a Traeger and cook year round

??? I have no problem cooking on my traeger at -10, I dont even have the insulation kit. The new Traegers are double walled now.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Green Mountain has improved the new models considerably.
Nothing better than tenderloin stuffed with herbs smoked for an hour at 180 and then bbq'd to a juicy piece of deliciousness...
27aadf1a0f0f4946356d583bdf68a312.jpg

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a pellet grill for years and years. I now have 2 of them a Louisiana and a Green Mountain Grill with WIFI .. only use a propane BBQ now when I’m camping and even that hurts.

Need to get the Green Mountain Davy Crockett, my parents have one and when we camp with them we hardly ever use our propane grill.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did steaks last night. Set Traeger to 350, Worked perfect.

Next pellet grill will have wifi. Not sure of brand.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I still want to get one. Not sure what the best bang for the buck is as an entry level grill. Do I still need a gas grill or will this pellet grill completely take over?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still want to get one. Not sure what the best bang for the buck is as an entry level grill. Do I still need a gas grill or will this pellet grill completely take over?
Louisiana Grill. Covers both aspects. Only times I've fired up the bbq since I got this 2 years ago was when I ran out of grill room on big cooks or due to doing a long slow cook on the smoker

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. We have a family of 4 and my smaller pro 20 traeger does just fine for us.
I also have a gas grill that when I want to cool something quicker, or if Im entertaining guests and need more grill space.

My neighbor has strictly a pellet BBQ, its just the two of them in that household.

Last edited:

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pellet grills aren't really made for searing steak (quick & intense heat). Propane or NG is better for that.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 6 burner Weber and a Pro 20 Traeger. In my opinion they are used for different cooks so I would always stick with having both. I use the Weber for the quick cooks and veggies or if you don’t want smoke on a cook where the Traeger excels in the long cooks and for things that have a coating that would burn on a gas grill and instead will crisp up on the Traeger.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I went through that scenario last fall Tyler. Decided on a gas grill (I thought and the sales person told me that both NG and propane would work with the grill I bought) as I have a small charcoal grill for those days that I like to take my time and do meat up the old fashioned way. I am quite happy with my set up. I also went with the ceramic grill over SS and that was a bonus. I think it was Niner that mentioned that.

So, all said and done, I don't use a smoker type grill. I may in the future but for now I'm a happy camper and the meat tastes excellent.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 6 burner Weber and a Pro 20 Traeger. In my opinion they are used for different cooks so I would always stick with having both. I use the Weber for the quick cooks and veggies or if you don’t want smoke on a cook where the Traeger excels in the long cooks and for things that have a coating that would burn on a gas grill and instead will crisp up on the Traeger.

I love my weber BBQ.
Christ if we go into lockdown I may gain a pile of weight, the wife picked up a extra 33lb bag of pellets, I may have to get more.lol

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ditto, I often smoke steaks for 30-45 minutes then finish at high temp on weber bbq, smoke 3-2-1 ribs but finish on bbq as well. Have had my Traeger 3 years its not a bbq replacement for me.

Top Bottom