Pellet grill

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bbq now been looking at these pellet grills but not sure about them. I would mainly be using it for steak and burgers. What are your thoughts??

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They take more attention that a bbq as far as cleaning the hopper and start up and shut down but once you try one you will never look back. I looked at a lot of them and settled on a Pit Boss because they have sear plate that you can slide over to sear your steaks over open flame.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister and her boyfriend have a Traeger. It makes wicked brisket, roasts, ribs, roast chicken etc, the smoked meat is so tender and tastes great. But I'm not a fan of burgers or steak cooked on it, it just doesn't have enough heat to sear the meat in the same way a gas grill does, and I'm not a fan of the smoke flavor for these meats.

I'm in the same boat as you, 90% of the meat cooked on our Gas BBQ is steak and burgers, so we will stay with our gas BBQ.

If you are still interested the Traegers do seem to be a quality product, they have put many bags of pellets through it and it still works well with no issues.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bbq now been looking at these pellet grills but not sure about them. I would mainly be using it for steak and burgers. What are your thoughts??

Get one . Lol
Have had one for years since they first came out .
Sold my big natural gas one after 6 months .
Brand doesn’t matter as all the same concept with different options .
Pick which one suits your needs .

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend getting one, I have a Treager and am thinking of getting a Louisiana grill too.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Get one I own a pitboss best purchase, they’re easy to use and food tastes great you won’t be disappointed

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a Traeger and a 6 burner Weber. Both have their place for sure and I would likely never run without both anymore.

Steaks and burgers and veggies are better on the grill where the big cuts of meat and things like chicken wings are much better on the Traeger. Traeger is also better when using rubs and sauce that could potentially burn on a long cook as they won’t burn on it at all.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a Bradley for smoking but for burgers and steaks etc. I go old school and use a Weber charcoal.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a pellet... sold it.
I have a Big Joe now!

I cook steaks and burgers on it but waaaay higher temp then any pellet smoker can.

So what happens is they don’t get overly Smokey IMO
My wife hates the smoke taste on everything so I will sometimes flash the steaks on the joe at 600plus then finish them on the NG bbq. You have to really enjoy the smoked flavour on everything to just have one.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a pellet... sold it.
I have a Big Joe now!

I cook steaks and burgers on it but waaaay higher temp then any pellet smoker can.

So what happens is they don’t get overly Smokey IMO
My wife hates the smoke taste on everything so I will sometimes flash the steaks on the joe at 600plus then finish them on the NG bbq. You have to really enjoy the smoked flavour on everything to just have one.

That’s an impressive unit!!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Bradley and a Vermont casting grill which has smoker boxes, smoke isn't for everyone or everything. Doing a roast in the Bradley as I write this. Love them both and each has its place. Looking at a pellet one for the higher heat than the Bradley.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Louisiana. Imo you should look strong at the Louisiana or Pit Boss if you're replacing a bbq. They have the sear plate where you can still burn meat on high heat over the flame. Not sure of others that have that.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the junior treager, and love it. I prefer the small one due to less pellet use. I take it everywhere camping, road trips and such, took the legs off and I bring it to work in my car on Fridays to do ribs and roasts and such.

For at home i want to get a smoker that has the sear slider.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a traeger, you can seer on it. I wish I got a pellet grill sooner.
The new traegers this year look really nice.

Last edited:

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Green mountain for pellet grill. Been through 2 traegers and find the GMG to have better temp control less maintenance and cleaning required and higher temps. I would still have a gas grill too.

Top Bottom