painting an overhead garage door black??

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to find someone to paint my overhead garage doors. Got 2 of them 9x8ft doors are white but want them painted black. It is an arm and a leg to buy an overhead door black already. I don't have a paint sprayer and that seems to be the easiest way to paint them. I am building a house so the doors will not be on the house if that makes things easier. I live in Lloydminster if anybody knows a guy or can do it for me shoot me a PM. Thanks again guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: painting an overhead garge door black??

We got ours done by the same people painting the house interior. Since ours was already installed, they just removed the weatherstripping and give er. Turned out great, no issues in the last 3 years.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

before you paint them make sure you have a high quality elasticized paint. the insulated panels those door are made of expand more than you would think when the sun hits it. the pain will get stress cracks in no time. it can be don't but your going to need to use the right paint and it is costly

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

before you paint them make sure you have a high quality elasticized paint. the insulated panels those door are made of expand more than you would think when the sun hits it. the pain will get stress cracks in no time. it can be don't but your going to need to use the right paint and it is costly
wonder if that plasti-dip stuff would be good in that application?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What Plio said about the paint....I used to install garage door for a living (many, many, many) years ago. With direct sun on a dark door, you can physically see the door bow outwards from the difference in expansion from the front to the rear. I'm not a painter, so I really don't know what to use....but back in the day, the company I worked for used to send the panels to a body shop to get sprayed...

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What Plio said about the paint....I used to install garage door for a living (many, many, many) years ago. With direct sun on a dark door, you can physically see the door bow outwards from the difference in expansion from the front to the rear. I'm not a painter, so I really don't know what to use....but back in the day, the company I worked for used to send the panels to a body shop to get sprayed...

This.
We did black overhead doors on our new house and the local body shop painted them. The weatherstripping comes in white and they used Krylon Fusion on it prior to install. The painting wasn't cheap. We had 2 overhead doors done plus the front door and it was around $1500.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ever think of wrapping it?

image.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You might be best off painting them installed. Probably wind up Scratching the fawk out off ur new paint job when you go to install and will have to paint again. Little cold out for painting outside this time of year tho....

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It will void your warranty. They do offer black factory doors now. You could see about selling yours and buying one of those.

T-top

Reaction score

What DaveB said. I'm a garage door guy. If your doors are are going to see direct sunlight dark colours aren't a good idea. Will void the warranty on many models. I've replaced doors that had been painted black. Sunlight caused enough heat to melt the plastic window frames and some of the windows fell out. A good quality paint and roller would work fine. If you do it before installation that would prevent the panels from sticking together. The going rate is $200 per door in cowtown.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In Lloyd here body shop wants $200 a panel to paint them black:kissass:I guess I will live with white doors lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What kind of price were you expecting from a body shop? want it done cheap go get a brush and roller do it youself

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What DaveB said. I'm a garage door guy. If your doors are are going to see direct sunlight dark colours aren't a good idea. Will void the warranty on many models. I've replaced doors that had been painted black. Sunlight caused enough heat to melt the plastic window frames and some of the windows fell out. A good quality paint and roller would work fine. If you do it before installation that would prevent the panels from sticking together. The going rate is $200 per door in cowtown.

We were warned of the same thing about the warranty, but our contractor did another house with the same model of doors, painted black and had no issues. Ours also face northwest and don't get direct sunlight at the heat of the day.

scottp

Reaction score

PPG have a DTM acrylic called Pitt Tech that is used by garage door manufacturers and it comes in a ready mix black #90-453. It dries pretty fast but can still be brushed and rolled. Haleboh Paints in North Battleford should have it or Walls Alive in Edmonton.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I painted mine it was cheap just burned a big puddle of gas laying on the floor that leaked out of my gas tank and wala I have a black door well kind of lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guess I think I am going to bit the bullet and get them painted black. My house front faces East so it would get the morning sun but we really like the black trim and want to do the doors. Found a place paint them for $500-600 both doors!!! Sound like a deal to me!!

Last edited:

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your time must be more valuable than mine, you can paint them your self for about 40.00 and an hour of your time. Use a brush to do the profiles first than use a roller and put a few light coats on.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I am a little ``touched`` when it comes to painting LOL. I would hate to F*** up my new brand new doors. So to the paint guys out there what is the best paint to use on my doors. Is there some kind of a clear coat you can put on top of the paint black paint that will help stop or protect it from the sun(heat rays)

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want clear coat then you will likely have to use auotmotive paint Base coat clear coat. Body shop paint is expensive I did my shop door and bought the paint 6 years ago it cost me $200.00 bucks for paint, reducer and strianers, then about 4 years after had a house door just took it to body shop they chaged me $200.00 and they did. Will go body shop agaign if needed.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard of this product can be added to paint and helps block UV rays from sun would this work on my garage door to help block out some of the heat what you guys think. Here is the link

Top Bottom