Pain in the ass thing cooker can install on T3.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe it was just off on the weld, talk to them and see if they will send u another. rivets are used on basically all of them. hps i believe supplies rivets to fit in as well. go to princess auto buy a cheap air riveter and then return it :p

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got done installing the thing cooker can on my T3, what a pain in the ass..

Instructions are not detailed at all. The L bracket doesn't fit in the suggested location and had to be bent into a 45. They supply a rivet, who has a rivet gun at home? Simple lock nut and bolt would do the job.

Also the left side spring location is way off. Had to use two springs attached to the foot well.

Is it just me or did anyone else have this much trouble?

View attachment 190411

YOU OWN A SNOWMOBILE AND DONT HAVE A RIVET GUN!?!??!?! what the hell

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I need a rivet gun lol.

looking at some pics of the pipe welds and cuts on another thread and mine look different lengths and angles.

Its all fitted up good now. Going to get some heat tape to protect the plastic pieces behind it and take the vent guards off the front of the machine. Bring on the snow.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got done installing the thing cooker can on my T3, what a pain in the ass..

Instructions are not detailed at all. The L bracket doesn't fit in the suggested location and had to be bent into a 45. They supply a rivet, who has a rivet gun at home. Simple lock nut and bolt would do the job. Also the left side spring location is way off. Had to use two springs attached to the foot well.

Now that there is funny........"who has a rivet gun at home"...said no one, ever....lol...cept Merc63.

dude, buy a rivet gun, they're cheap to buy...best one I ever bought was the air riveter at Princess Auto...best $70 I ever spent...been on sale for $40ish

Look at any sled, they are basically held together with rivets

• Recommends
Reactions: LBZ

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Instructions are not detailed at all. The L bracket doesn't fit in the suggested location and had to be bent into a 45. They supply a rivet, who has a rivet gun at home. Simple lock nut and bolt would do the job. Also the left side spring location is way off. Had to use two springs attached to the foot well.

Now that there is funny........"who has a rivet gun at home"...said no one, ever....lol...cept Merc63.

dude, buy a rivet gun, they're cheap to buy...best one I ever bought was the air riveter at Princess Auto...best $70 I ever spent...been on sale for $40ish

Look at any sled, they are basically held together with rivets

I've been a mechanic for 22 years and never had one at home until a week ago. I don't think that's a "normal" tool to have around the house, personally.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I need a rivet gun lol.

looking at some pics of the pipe welds and cuts on another thread and mine look different lengths and angles.

Its all fitted up good now. Going to get some heat tape to protect the plastic pieces behind it and take the vent guards off the front of the machine. Bring on the snow.
Also heat tape the rave covers as they can melt into the raves

Did all the heat taping after first ride and pull cord wouldn't work when hot first ride, never did it again after heat tape

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rivet gun is a must have tool for any sledder,,, They are built with rivets.... Come on! lol

And yeah make your life easier, get the 40$ air riveter from PA.

Last edited:

Redrock Kustoms

Reaction score
I just installed one on a XM yesterday and one on a T3. I found it quite easy except for one things. 1 its a pretty good pull for the back spring on the T3

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Redrock Kustoms

Reaction score
The back spring is a bit of a pull. Make sure to pull properly or if she lets go you might hit yourself in the face with pliers... Not saying I've done that ;) imo a rivet over the old system of nut and bold is a step forward not back. If someone buys one from me and needs to borrow the rivet gun I'll lend it to them or they can come over and I'll pop that one for them ;)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I don't know a whole lot about your cooker, but I know that a rivet for many applications is stronger/more durable then a bolt or even a weld. Even a pop rivet tightly fills the hole that it is in. Which a bolt simple cannot do. Particularly in applications subjected to vibration or continuous flexing rivets are far superior to either bolts or welding. If you want your work to be very strong then you should use a blind rivet. Aircraft and Boat manufactures are just two common examples of where rivets are used for strength and durability and bolts or welding just can't cut the mustard.

Not entirely accurate. Rivets are used in aircraft and boats where possible for weight savings more than anything. Although they are strong, a common rivet can come loose just as easily as any bolt. Specialty rivets used in aircraft or body work or in the assembly of our sleds are excellent, but the one you will buy at the hardware store not so much. Anyone who has tried to remove a factory rivet on the tunnel or elsewhere on a doo knows what I am talking about.

I did think that two, but kept it to myself

Good thing I bought that air one back in the day when we did all those boards and tunnel extension huh?
I've had a riveter of some sort since I was 18. Pretty handy tool.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried to post some pics but it won't let me now for some reason.

All is good, I have it mounted up securely and put some heat reflective foil tape on the plastic wire holders, bottom and side of coolant res, some of the lines around that area and the rewind face. I'll have to keep an eye on the heat levels.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not entirely accurate. Rivets are used in aircraft and boats where possible for weight savings more than anything. Although they are strong, a common rivet can come loose just as easily as any bolt. Specialty rivets used in aircraft or body work or in the assembly of our sleds are excellent, but the one you will buy at the hardware store not so much. Anyone who has tried to remove a factory rivet on the tunnel or elsewhere on a doo knows what I am talking about.

Good thing I bought that air one back in the day when we did all those boards and tunnel extension huh?
I've had a riveter of some sort since I was 18. Pretty handy tool.
Look there is no weight savings to be had with a rivet. Aluminum boats would be far lighter with a butt welded joint rather then the over lap with rivites, I realize that almost all river boats are a all welded construction but they are built out of matieral that is over built to sustain impacts out of the design criteria of a normal water craft where weight savings is critical and the life span is considerably longer. So would the air frames of airplanes be lighter with out rivets. The simple fact is in high stress high flex situations where metal can't be formed in one piece and has to be joined, rivets are almost ALWAYS superior for strength and durability. Automobile and heavy truck frames are another example of a every day high strength component that uses rivets. If you want to try and replicate the strength and durability of a riveted component with a weld there is a very precise heat treating process required subsequent to the weld which is simply not feasible in a small fabracation shop, hence the use of rivets (I am not talking about a two bit pop rivet from the hardware) It has absolutely nothing to do with weight savings even on a airplane. In fact the parasitic drag that is caused be the hundreds of rivites on a aircraft has led manufactures to use glue and composites instead of rivets. I was taught by a incredably talented blacksmith/machinist ( The trade does not exist anymore) if you want it strong bolt it, if you want it stronger weld it and if you want it really strong rivet it. Don't get me wrong I am the first one to Mig or Spool Gun sh!t together because its easy and convenient and for 99.9% of jobs it's perfectly acceptable, however in this case the cooker probably would last longer with a rivet then a bolt. It's no big deal but I just thought there may be some one that might be interested in why the kit was furnished with a rivet rather then a bolt and it has nothing to do with weight.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So no weight savings are to be had in an airplane with possibly 200 000 rivets or more that are half the weight of a bolt when they could have used either? When a good rivet costs more? Right.
Do you do math like Notley?

And I know the strength of a good rivet as compared to a cheap hardware store one. I use rivets every day at work. Stainless and aluminum in SS and aluminum sheeting and plating. I know how strong they are, and I also know how easily they can wear into the material around them and become loose in high vibration areas. They won't fall out easily, but they don't hold tight for long either. They are great for flexing or blind spots where we can't use a bolt which is part of the reason for their use in an airplane or aluminum boat.

But a good rivet is not what is coming with the kit. My vote would be for a lock nut and a bolt with maybe even a little loctite any day over cheap ass rivet on my exhaust thanks.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So no weight savings are to be had in an airplane with possibly 200 000 rivets or more that are half the weight of a bolt when they could have used either? When a good rivet costs more? Right.
Do you do math like Notley?

And I know the strength of a good rivet as compared to a cheap hardware store one. I use rivets every day at work. Stainless and aluminum in SS and aluminum sheeting and plating. I know how strong they are, and I also know how easily they can wear into the material around them and become loose in high vibration areas. They won't fall out easily, but they don't hold tight for long either. They are great for flexing or blind spots where we can't use a bolt which is part of the reason for their use in an airplane or aluminum boat.

But a good rivet is not what is coming with the kit. My vote would be for a lock nut and a bolt with maybe even a little loctite any day over cheap ass rivet on my exhaust thanks.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
I know I am a sh!tty writer and I have failed to explain how the rivet works,but I will give it one more try. Rivets used on a airplane are known as blind rivets. They are installed with a rivet gun. Very similar to a air chisel/hammer except it has a shorter stroke. In fact the rivet gun looks identical to a chisel (I use my CP rivet gun as a Chisel and I like it better because it's easier to control with a shorter stroke) When the rivet is installed it is placed in a hole through two pieces of metal. Then the rivet is pounded from one side with the gun while the other side is supported with a buck. In my shop I use a auto body dolly as a buck. There are three things that happen to the rivet during this process.1) The rivet fills the hole it is in with compression. This is unique to a rivet. Regardless of the grade of bolt or how much loctite or how much you tighten a bolt you will NEVER replicate this aspect of a rivet. This is the reason rivets are used in airplane construction to support components that are continually flexing. A properly installed rivet allows no movement due to it compression fit but allows the metal adjacent to it to flex without work hardening. 2) The rivet also pulls the two pieces together as it is formed with the rivet gun. Now this is where a bolt has more power. 3) The rivet hardens as it is formed (that's why the fu#kers are so hard to remove).

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is how I mounted mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.JPG
    IMG_2612.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 191

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The question is who dosnt have a rivet gun..if for some odd reason you dont they are 10 dollars at can tire..

If you are really having that much trouble installing a can on you're sled I really dont think you should be working

on a snowmobile.

Very entertaining though lol thanks!

Top Bottom