Outs 800xt or sportsman 800

SaskRMK

Reaction score
Hi I am fairly new to the site. I have been looking at tabs for about a month now and I can't decide what kind I want. I have narrowed it down to Polaris or can am. I am new to tabs but am a fan of Polaris sleds. I have rode the new outs 800s and they are pretty fun. I haven't got the chance to ride a big sportsman just the small guys. Just wanted to see what kind of input you guys may have.

Thanks

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new xp's are a nice machine definatly steer clear of the older 600,700,800 popo's my favorite is the can am though

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can am...............enough said

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
the new xp's are a nice machine definatly steer clear of the older 600,700,800 popo's my favorite is the can am though
whats wrong with the 800 polaris, I've owned both a 800 and a 850, the ride quality of the 850, isn't much better than my 800, and the 800 is more reliable.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with the 800 polaris, i've owned both a 800 and a 850, the ride quality of the 850, isn't much better than my 800, and the 800 is more reliable.

bad belt life and poorly geared were some of the major issues. The newer ones fixed that problem though

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sportsman gearing is brutal...low is too low, high is too high...there needs to be a middle gear. The rad placement is too low...first mudhole you hit plugs the rad, then you spend the rest of the weekend overheating. The winch placement is too high....It pulls down instead of up. The new xp's have addressed those issues. I've had a few sportmans, aside from those couple things, I liked them....but they're in a totally different category than a canam.

rens27

Reaction score
It comes down to budget. If you can afford it go Can-Am and if you want to save some money go Polaris. Either way you are getting a good machine. The Can-Am might have less maintenance issues but then again it might not. Test drive them both and see what you think.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do start? One is a great quad ,one not so much.......................
Shhhhh...lets see where this goes. I gave Slickster his UTV comments....but maybe we can get a little 800 PoPo vs 800 Canned Ham action outta this one. LOL.

SaskRMK

Reaction score
I really like the power of the can am. I have found some good deals on the 2011 sportsman 800 efi but have not had a chance to ride one yet. Definately steering towards the can am outs. What about outty vs Rene?

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
Shhhhh...lets see where this goes. I gave Slickster his UTV comments....but maybe we can get a little 800 PoPo vs 800 Canned Ham action outta this one. LOL.
lol, you won't get much of that outta me, except someone mentioned the 800 is geared too low, in low, well I have to disagree, the reason its geared lower than the outty is because of the lack of a wet clutch, the outty, even in low gear will smoke belts pulling light loads (for example another quad), on a polaris if you smoke a belt in low, you have other issue's going on.
Other than the outty's being gear too high (even in low), the only other complaint I have about them is the price tag, and appearntly the price of them is dropping, as I havn't priced one out in awhile.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try a brute then. there cheaper and respond well to mods down the road.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love love love my kawi 700. Doesn't ride any where close to an outty or poo but its still nice and has piles of power.

Top Bottom