Opinions and pictures wanted: Line X lower body on truck?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
55d09a3c795599b735c51184eb1e6d53.jpg

Had to do it to this truck. Rock chips were really bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lgallant

Reaction score
Just another thought but the style of running board you use can also save your doors and body. I have the solid running boards on my truck and though they aren't as pretty as the other styles they will save your truck. My truck is a 2005 with 120000 Kms and the doors are like new inside and out. I use it in the backcountry and it has seen lots of gravel roads. The pic was taken last year. Rims are also same year as truck.
11ef8064a4b592fd28b9d4ddc16e390d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Just another thought but the style of running board you use can also save your doors and body. I have the solid running boards on my truck and though they aren't as pretty as the other styles they will save your truck. My truck is a 2005 with 120000 Kms and the doors are like new inside and out. I use it in the backcountry and it has seen lots of gravel roads. The pic was taken last year. Rims are also same year as truck. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/11ef8064a4b592fd28b9d4ddc16e390d.jpg

Agreed! Instead of going nerf bars on mine, I went with nerf BOARDS. From the side they look like bars, but are completely filled in. Stopping anything that may get the body.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind with the wraps, unless your smoothing over the rock chips they will show add indents in the wrap. I personally don't think the wrap material holds up to chips that will either. Especially on Highway

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation - 2009 with 230,000 km on it and a ton of rock chips. I think I'd be doing a couple inches around the wheel wells too if I was to do the rocker panels.

Careful of drain holes - my box was sprayed from day one & the drain holes in the tailgate were closed off with line-x. Only took about 2 1/2 years to rust from the inside out.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave - Just noticed you're from Red Deer area. If you decide to get a quote on Line-X, play the "what if 2 of us get it done" card. Been thinking about this since the fall.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't care for the attempt at Color matching.
I'm always if you can tell there's a difference then there is so make it look different. ..... I wrote it and I'm not sure what I mean!! Lol
No to me if I was doing it I'd go different Color , match it to bumpers or interior, something that's not side by each.

3M can be a magic fix thou, go see Color tech "http://www.colortechreddeer.ca "he can hide a lot of ...stuff. Then 3m over it !

I took my black dodge there when a ratchet strap came of sled deck... It whipped both sides badly but he got it out and you couldn't see a thing!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave - Just noticed you're from Red Deer area. If you decide to get a quote on Line-X, play the "what if 2 of us get it done" card. Been thinking about this since the fall.
I think I'm off the Line-X idea. A couple of the trucks shown in this thread look really good, but I don't want mine looking like the black GM above....although this was a good fix for a work truck, mine is just too purdy. LOL.

I personally don't care for the attempt at Color matching.
I'm always if you can tell there's a difference then there is so make it look different. ..... I wrote it and I'm not sure what I mean!! Lol
No to me if I was doing it I'd go different Color , match it to bumpers or interior, something that's not side by each.

3M can be a magic fix thou, go see Color tech "http://www.colortechreddeer.ca "he can hide a lot of ...stuff. Then 3m over it !

I took my black dodge there when a ratchet strap came of sled deck... It whipped both sides badly but he got it out and you couldn't see a thing!

Going to get a hold of the guys Overkill recommended....see what happens. Also going to lose the round nerf bars (they're rusted anyways) for some nerf boards or oval bars that cover better.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw it, bring it over I've got a few quarts of flat black I can squirt on it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...need opinions and pictures it anyone has done it....
My ol 2010 GM 1500 crew is getting a little rock chipped on the lower doors...not super-bad, but I am fussy. I am a hand-wax 3 times a year guy, and a big maintenance guy, so the truck is immaculate still and I plan on keeping it. I went and got a couple of estimates at body shops and they want 1300 bucks to repaint the lower side of the 4 doors. They don't even really want to do that because it will leave a tape line on the edges of the doors because I'm not willing to pay to paint the whole doors.

Which brings me to Line-X. They will do the bottom side from front mudflap to rear bumper for 1100. The question I have is will this stuff stay shiny or will it turn all grey and crappy looking in a year or two? My truck is black...so color match is easy. This truck is not an oil-patch work truck, it's my shiny pavement princess...so I want it to look good. I was thinking that the whole lower under the trim on the doors is too much....maybe Line-X from about 5" below the trim down to the bottom...or lined up with the top of the front mudflap?

Thoughts? Ideas? A get a 50/50 vote from guys at work....here's a pic of the GM.

Another option is get a wrap/sticker made. Similar to the GFX package. But put LTZ or Z71 if you don't want the GFX. Looks factory and you can get them to make it very faint so you barely see it. Lots of options carbon fibre to million shades of grey or charcoal.
9876a4008a7d93e27ddf91595e50afbf.jpg

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
c5cc4bc83ac2a5460d95c4934120bf6c.jpg

This one you could make it front to back along the bottom 10-12" and no one be the wiser!
To me it would look like it's done at the factory, I'd leave the hood off and rear fender one off unless you want.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160315/c5cc4bc83ac2a5460d95c4934120bf6c.jpg

This one you could make it front to back along the bottom 10-12" and no one be the wiser!
To me it would look like it's done at the factory, I'd leave the hood off and rear fender one off unless you want.

That's kinda funny because my truck is a GFX already....I made the dealership rip off all the cheesy decals before I picked it up! LOL. Gonna go see the guys at the place you said tomorrow...see what they can do.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's kinda funny because my truck is a GFX already....I made the dealership rip off all the cheesy decals before I picked it up! LOL. Gonna go see the guys at the place you said tomorrow...see what they can do.

I like the GFX to a degree on some. The hood stickers are too much generally. But the ones along the bottom I find look good. I like the silver and the black version above...the 2014 version not so much!
e315349329689cdaf8412f54e0dd6a55.jpg
what were they thinking???

I hope Color tech can help ya! Can't hurt to check it out.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's different from the GFX trucks from the regular ones?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you are right, I have always thought those decals looked cheezy and dated, kinda like have your raised white lettering on your tires.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's different from the GFX trucks from the regular ones?

Seats, gauges and stickers...I think

Same as the " ultimate" I don't mind the stickers but the brown interior is horrific !! The carbon fifer one is nice thou!
To each his owe

Last edited:

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually the GFX trucks are "lower model" units...pimps 'em out a bit with gauges, seats, stickers.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...shop doors locked and no answer on the phone. Left a message.

Top Bottom