Opinions and pictures wanted: Line X lower body on truck?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...need opinions and pictures it anyone has done it....
My ol 2010 GM 1500 crew is getting a little rock chipped on the lower doors...not super-bad, but I am fussy. I am a hand-wax 3 times a year guy, and a big maintenance guy, so the truck is immaculate still and I plan on keeping it. I went and got a couple of estimates at body shops and they want 1300 bucks to repaint the lower side of the 4 doors. They don't even really want to do that because it will leave a tape line on the edges of the doors because I'm not willing to pay to paint the whole doors.

Which brings me to Line-X. They will do the bottom side from front mudflap to rear bumper for 1100. The question I have is will this stuff stay shiny or will it turn all grey and crappy looking in a year or two? My truck is black...so color match is easy. This truck is not an oil-patch work truck, it's my shiny pavement princess...so I want it to look good. I was thinking that the whole lower under the trim on the doors is too much....maybe Line-X from about 5" below the trim down to the bottom...or lined up with the top of the front mudflap?

Thoughts? Ideas? A get a 50/50 vote from guys at work....here's a pic of the GM.

Attachments

• P1000171 (Medium).jpg
    P1000171 (Medium).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 618

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...need opinions and pictures it anyone has done it....
My ol 2010 GM 1500 crew is getting a little rock chipped on the lower doors...not super-bad, but I am fussy. I am a hand-wax 3 times a year guy, and a big maintenance guy, so the truck is immaculate still and I plan on keeping it. I went and got a couple of estimates at body shops and they want 1300 bucks to repaint the lower side of the 4 doors. They don't even really want to do that because it will leave a tape line on the edges of the doors because I'm not willing to pay to paint the whole doors.

Which brings me to Line-X. They will do the bottom side from front mudflap to rear bumper for 1100. The question I have is will this stuff stay shiny or will it turn all grey and crappy looking in a year or two? My truck is black...so color match is easy. This truck is not an oil-patch work truck, it's my shiny pavement princess...so I want it to look good. I was thinking that the whole lower under the trim on the doors is too much....maybe Line-X from about 5" below the trim down to the bottom...or lined up with the top of the front mudflap?

Thoughts? Ideas? A get a 50/50 vote from guys at work....here's a pic of the GM.

I don't believe you' ll be happy with the line x after awhile. It will fade a little and i'm staring at my neighbors truck as i type this. He had his done about a year ago but his truck is not a pavement princess. Have you considered the 3m film to proctect from the rock chips? Touch up paint the rock ships than apply the 3m film.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that someone is trying to always hide something and looks cheap . "That's just me"
I would paint or do like Caper11 suggested. IMO

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Just so you know, Line-X has a "higher end" product that won't fade. I don't remember what exactly it's called, but I think they spray a clear coat over the product, and it stays shiny and whatever color you want. I had the OUTSIDE of my tailgate sprayed on my last truck, and it stayed shiny black for as long as u had the truck.

Also, I had my current truck sprayed, buy only the rocker panels on the "underside" of the sides. Like from the bottom of the door down. I think it's a GREAT idea. I am rock chip free after 5 1/2 years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as Dave, I have a few rub marks from my bushwhacker flares that have broken through the paint. I just can't bring myself to do the line x thing either. I am seriously thinking of 3m vinyl wrap or similar. Actually going to shop that one out early this week and see where it goes.

Cummins610

Reaction score
10820e375070ac2371896399b019bfed.jpg

The stuff has gotten much better over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to spray a brand new truck, it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sprayed my Powerwagon had it done at cap it, life time warranty and no fading in three years

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, Line-X has a "higher end" product that won't fade. I don't remember what exactly it's called, but I think they spray a clear coat over the product, and it stays shiny and whatever color you want. I had the OUTSIDE of my tailgate sprayed on my last truck, and it stayed shiny black for as long as u had the truck.

Also, I had my current truck sprayed, buy only the rocker panels on the "underside" of the sides. Like from the bottom of the door down. I think it's a GREAT idea. I am rock chip free after 5 1/2 years.

I believe it's called rock guard and it been out for quite awhile, not sure of the cost but I've run into DaveB's situation with older trucks. My brother has the line x on his 2012 dodge and grill and uses it for work and pleasure. The line x does the job but seeing Dave's truck pic I do not believe he will be happy with it.
I would not do the line x for my truck but would do it on a work truck or older unit to hide something.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I believe it's called rock guard and it been out for quite awhile, not sure of the cost but I've run into DaveB's situation with older trucks. My brother has the line x on his 2012 dodge and grill and uses it for work and pleasure. The line x does the job but seeing Dave's truck pic I do not believe he will be happy with it.
I would not do the line x for my truck but would do it on a work truck or older unit to hide something.

Nope. Definitely not "rock guard".

Just looked. It's called Line-X Premium. WILL NOT fade. Like I said, I had my last tailgate exterior sprayed with it, and it stayed BLACK (was a black truck) and shiny.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys that did there trucks. I really like the look of it! Like said they got a coating that don't fade!

lgallant

Reaction score
I have to agree with big dawg. While it looks ok on some trucks I don't think it would look so good on yours. Your truck is a nice looking truck and in my opinion I think it might make it look a little older than it is.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each their own but I do not like the look of line x, if you don't like the idea of the paint line you probably won't like the look of the line x. You say it's just starting to chip but not bad, so I would think you are worried about the rust, I am pretty fussy as well and this is what I would do if it's not too bad, you can buy a product called rust mort, it's a clear product that will turn hazy when it dries, use that on the rock chips it will flow under any loose paint and totally seal it not allowing it to rust, let it dry then just get a decent touch up paint and a good brush or paper match and dab over the same spot, once it dries and you wax over it it will be tough to see.

Just my 2 bits but have done lots of time, once the first shot is done it's pretty easy to keep up to it.

Good luck

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards NOT Line-X now....and I really appreciate the opinions. The truck is pretty purdy and I think the Line-X would make it more "utility looking" even if it stays shiny. I don't think rust is an issue....every time I get a chip down there, I touch-up paint it. I got a big dirty one this past winter and it looks like the metal is galvanized under there...that make sense? Somebody mentioned 3M wrap material....I may look at doing that. Instead of the clear stuff, maybe go black all along the bottom....wouldn't be noticeable and would protect from further chips...gonna call around tomorrow.

I also plan on losing those round bars....go to a flat style.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about all black or maybe carbon fiber where the horrible camo wrap is on this rig?
camo-my-ride-498666473504217_g.jpg

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is mine,no problem with fading in the 4 years since I have had it

Attachments

• IMG_20150516_175328286_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150516_175328286_HDR.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_20150516_175310333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150516_175310333_HDR.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 377

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 f-350. 200k. The paint was starting to blister around the door panel corners last year. Having a heated garage made accelerated the rusting. $2k at line-x fixed the problem. Included rockers and some additional parts. They kept the spray liner under the chrome panels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg