Older RZR pros and cons

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading my can-am for a 08 RZR 800. It has 5300kms but a recently rebuilt engine. Is there anything I should be concerned about with a machine like this?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt they will let you but if you can go for a long test drive. Lots with overheating issues. Make sure it runs straight down the road also.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock air box and filter was bad on the 08 so hopefully it has been upgraded but if not could be the cause of the recent rebuild. Does the owner know if the weak plastic sprague in the front diff has been changed to an alum one.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 08 rzr used, had 9000 miles on it

Looked in real good shape, old guy owned it and took a chance on it

Had to do a few bushings, bearings ect, all week parts on a Polaris

Only other thing is I put a fuel pump in it this summer, now has 11000 miles, other than I find if u get a few good rides on the oil it starts to sip it up, change it and it's good for a while again

Never has over heated once, and has had lots of wide open, long Hill pulls

I know it's a gazer, and a Polaris and could walk at any time, but it works so far

sent while drinking tea's

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock air box and filter was bad on the 08 so hopefully it has been upgraded but if not could be the cause of the recent rebuild. Does the owner know if the weak plastic sprague in the front diff has been changed to an alum one.
I've had mine out and don't see how it could dust, it's no different than my brute force was, maybe it's been changed, dunno

I thought they got dusted from the clean air side tube to the engine, it cracks and sucks dust there

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Only other thing is I put a fuel pump in it this summer, now has 11000 miles, other than I find if u get a few good rides on the oil it starts to sip it up, change it and it's good for a while again

I know it's a gazer, and a Polaris and could walk at any time, but it works so far

I wonder if two years more of not walking you will exclude that statement....lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, still a Polaris and a gazer mark

Only thing I've come to like is the awd, except when u have it in high but it's not showing on cluster, and then u don't have awd

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old 800s were pretty tough . Look for dust in the throttle body . ( rings/ burning oil) all wear items such as bushings/ bearings / tie rod s etc etc .
Steering rack play .
All these could be at any stage of wear .
Check the trans in low range for popping out of gear going down hill ( on off on gas )
The old ones have way less issues than the new ones ....lol
Good luck !!

We rented old Rzrs in Mexico , mine had 43000 miles on it ... And it still ran ... Sorta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old 800s were pretty tough . Look for dust in the throttle body . ( rings/ burning oil) all wear items such as bushings/ bearings / tie rod s etc etc .
Steering rack play .
All these could be at any stage of wear .
Check the trans in low range for popping out of gear going down hill ( on off on gas )
The old ones have way less issues than the new ones ....lol
Good luck !!

We rented old Rzrs in Mexico , mine had 43000 miles on it ... And it still ran ... Sorta!

Yea the old Rzr' are tough.

Ones in Mexico has 11 thousand miles and still worked. Never broke down for us

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think at that mileage other manufactures would have bushing and wear items to be replaced. Its just that other manufactures have not been in that segment as long as Polaris and some still are not. Do not understand this because I believe there is a market for that width of machine. The 50 inch chassis is still selling well.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest thing I've heard on them was dust in the air intake/throttle body from poor setup at shop/dealers.
its something to look at right away.

Axles break if your rough on em but i think it depends how rough you are my dad doesn't exactly hold back and hes been ok.

But bearings seem to wear fairly fast many have changed.

Remember when switching to Polaris , Polaris uses two way bearings so no engine breaking.

The 800's didn't have power steering or at-least most didn't afaik so arm pump and feedback are going to be a thing.

If you go too big of tire (28" on my dads) your engine mount can bump the tires without offset rims or relocating the engine mount like we did with his.
fronts can rub without a small lift same size tires its not terrible but it happened alot.

Everyone has diff issues depending on what goes wrong or how hard they ride. so your mileage may vary but they seem solid enough and work well on tight trails ect.

Top Bottom