Old Rail-line west of Rocky to Nordegg

WinchBreaker

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just wondering, where is the trail head in the town of Nordegg? I have driven through town up to the mine site and along the way I passed under a rail line just before the gates of the mine site. Just wondering where to go if a guy starts this ride from Nordegg and heads east. Thanks in advance.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U go up towards the mine, turn left at the y past the first house, then left in the opening where u can see the train bridge on the east side of the road

Follow that brings u out to the gravel pit, bit of road riding, back into the Bush on the trail again

Comes out at the shunda creek on South side of highway

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I recall from the ride out there in the summer is that the bridge leaving town too the West is rotted out with only one main beem supporting the one side, and yes to door fx reply as the gate at the pit is locked, but just before it is tracks to the W/S that leads to the new replacement one.

Pal Lem

Olébucky

Reaction score
Thanks for the maps guys, my dirtbiking buddies and I almost made it to the caboose last ride of the year oct.31 fkn brr. been riding at horburg for 15 years and just keeps getting more fun every year. seen some role overs on the cut line lots of 4x4 trucks destroying the trails and more bears that I can remember, trucks on 54 inch tires disappearing in the old sawdust pile and so many more memories. I hope they don't take out to many trees last I seen the little bush campsite to the right of the y was clear cut all the way to the top of the hill and there was d6 or d8 cat plowing a new road a ways in the bush.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good as I hope to spend more time out there this year.

The spruce tree cutting program is well under way as they try to stay ahead of the beetles that have taken over many of the trees in the Nordegg area. I was at a few areas East of there where they had to cut along the creek-bank to prevent the dead trees from falling into the waterway.

Take your spotting scoop to the top of Baldy Mt to have a look, and you can still see 1000's of patches of dead infested trees in many areas that still need removing. I spend the other day in a cut block that was re-planted with Pine trees 5 years ago, and it looks awesome,,, Very green this time of year.

One could say that a heathy forest is a new forest. Each of us see it different. At least they are doing there best to stay back from the waterways as well as leave buffer zones.

And there are trails in place that I mapped out for future rides when the trees are in full growth.

Pal Lem

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is Nordegg ATV friendly if one wants to drive into town to get food and gas?

And that rail line goes right to town?

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes.
In line at the sani dump.:)

Get some fuel.

Go to liquor store.

Dump sewer

Add water

Great place to stop.

Very friendly stores too

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes this year it is getting a set of off road tires !! Got some pretty funny looks from the motor home. Along with this I have a tank and water pump so I can camp for weeks
8515788bba1bb7bcc8fdf3ed17e5e9bc.jpg

0172f1079b9223d98aa7c263eac494ff.jpg

cb060dd677c7c12010063303172415f3.jpg

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camp and ride is the best, no loading and un-loading for many days, then move on to the next area since its a good view from the other side of the valley. Ha Ha.

Humans are meant to explore, and finding a landing pad makes it all worth the while.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's cool. We only have one camp ground in ALL the land around here that you can quad into and camp from... I just don't understand it... The gov needs to make more campsites like that and make it near a lake too. We have tons of lakes around and maybe they could stock it with Pike and perch rather than trout all the time lol
Time to write a letter to SRD or someone like that i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom