Old Rail-line west of Rocky to Nordegg

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like random camping but every lake around they made it into a park of some sort so camping at a lake with quads is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06006f6277d767c512552ac0e921b91d.jpg

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cool trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some spots where they left the ties in the ground can be annoying , but for the most part it's smooth sailing. Pm Hadster for more info, he is the guru of the rail line

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm about 7 years late to the party,
But where does one get on to the trail? and where abouts does it end?
You can start at Horburg and go all the way into the town of Nordegg, it's about a 9 hr trip one way. There has been a fair bit of logging out there in the past years that has screwed the trail in spots, it can be confusing to find the way through in those areas. Also there has been alot of use and not much maintance so some spots are chewed up pretty bad.
Overall still pretty good though, but i haven't checked how this past winters logging has affected it yet. Another option is to start at Saunders (approx. half way) and go each way from there.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can start at Horburg and go all the way into the town of Nordegg, it's about a 9 hr trip one way. There has been a fair bit of logging out there in the past years that has screwed the trail in spots, it can be confusing to find the way through in those areas. Also there has been alot of use and not much maintance so some spots are chewed up pretty bad.
Overall still pretty good though, but i haven't checked how this past winters logging has affected it yet. Another option is to start at Saunders (approx. half way) and go each way from there.

When they log like that i just look on my gps app and find the old cutline/road or trail then i take those survey stakes and mark the trail. It usually takes a while but eventually the trail gets more defined.

Can u guys call the mill and ask them to put the trails back? I know here they will usually fix the trail if u call and let them know. ( local pulp mill)

Denali4me

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has GPS tracks for this area. I would really like to do the old rail-line this year with a group of friends. Something different than riding the same area all the time.

I should have the route tracked after the June 11th weekend if you plan on going after that...

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go west of Rocky to Horburg turn south, unload, find railway and go west. A quick look at a satellite map should show the line.

Easy for you to say that. When a group of us tried to find the trail last November, we could not find the proper trail as we went west from Misty Valley. That is where the logging was taking place.
Does someone have the trail through the logged areas on GPS?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy for you to say that. When a group of us tried to find the trail last November, we could not find the proper trail as we went west from Misty Valley. That is where the logging was taking place.
Does someone have the trail through the logged areas on GPS?

I heard the route has changed. Need to bypass a few areas

Geotech

Reaction score
Website
www.calgaryatvriders.com
I know it is Monday after the weekend but I am curious if you were successful and made the complete treck from Nordegg to Horburg? Still very interested in receiving the tracks for the area. Planning to head that way for the August Long Weekend to explore somewhere new.

I should have the route tracked after the June 11th weekend if you plan on going after that...

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran into Hadster, near Alexo leading a group on the railline. Possibly contacthim on here to get the track.

Top Bottom