Oilers in trouble

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look's like the oilers of Deadmonton are in danger of not making the playoffs again, unless they start playing better soon, Hmmmm :eek:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone in the Oilers organization or fan base to think the Oilers were a playoff contender this year need to wake up.

To play hard to make a playoff spot, sure. But its not going to happen this year, and possibly not next year.

There is a bright side, but how long can fans be hopefull? Well judging by the Flames fan base the Oilers fan should be able to be hopefull for a long time to come.

A top 5 pick this year. Nothing to complain about. Look at the history of teams like the Penguins and Hawks. They rebuilt through the draft and won a cup a few years later and are still cup contendors today. I wished from the start this year they would tank it. I even posted that on here. Tank it and take a top pick again. What are they going to do with top overall picks? Trade them for key pieces down the road.

Think of it like this - If oilers draft a high NHL quality forward who is NHL ready this coming draft (think Nail Yakupov 1st overall) your top lines looks like this...

Hall, RNH, Eberle
Nail, Gagner, Hemsky

Bottom lines

Jones, Horcoff, Smyth
Tough guy, Langer, Eager

Now, Nail is smaller, they need size. Hall will be lucky to be in the league in 4-5 years with his reckless style of play. Trade Hall for a winger with size. Move Nail to the top line.

Sign a UFA winger with size. Think Jochen Hecht. Remember him? Hemsky, sign him or trade him? I trade him at this point. Would they get a first rounder? Not likely. 2nd and a top prospect D would be a stretch. Bring up another winger rookie. Hartikainen. Either Omark or Paajarvi gets traded for a pick. 2nd rounder. If there is anyway possible to trade Gagner, do it. They need size. Not a center who closely resembles Frodo. Trade Bellanger, at this point a prospect D would be nice.

So next year now looks like this.

Nail(if they tanked it) RNH, Eberle
Hecht, Gagner, Hartikainen
Jones, Horcoff, Smyth
Tough guy, Lander (or Omara), Eager

Not enough to do well in the playoffs.

The D also needs major upgrades.

Gilbert, Smid - thats it.

I actually like Sutton as a 5-6 guy. Will he want to stay? Barker...meh. Gone. Whitney, trade bait or burry him in the minors. I would Sign Potter to a 3 year deal. Peckham, Plante, Petry are not NHL caliber.

Call up Martin Maricin and Martin Gernat and sign a top 1-2 D.

Top guy - Gernat
Gilbert - Smid
Potter - Maricin
Sutton

The net minders.....Bulin gets traded for another or sent away and they pick up, hmmm Chris Mason.
Dub is not a started and likely never will be, sign a guy like Tomas Vokoun

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone in the Oilers organization or fan base to think the Oilers were a playoff contender this year need to wake up.

To play hard to make a playoff spot, sure. But its not going to happen this year, and possibly not next year.

There is a bright side, but how long can fans be hopefull? Well judging by the Flames fan base the Oilers fan should be able to be hopefull for a long time to come.

A top 5 pick this year. Nothing to complain about. Look at the history of teams like the Penguins and Hawks. They rebuilt through the draft and won a cup a few years later and are still cup contendors today. I wished from the start this year they would tank it. I even posted that on here. Tank it and take a top pick again. What are they going to do with top overall picks? Trade them for key pieces down the road.

Think of it like this - If oilers draft a high NHL quality forward who is NHL ready this coming draft (think Nail Yakupov 1st overall) your top lines looks like this...

Hall, RNH, Eberle
Nail, Gagner, Hemsky

Bottom lines

Jones, Horcoff, Smyth
Tough guy, Langer, Eager

Now, Nail is smaller, they need size. Hall will be lucky to be in the league in 4-5 years with his reckless style of play. Trade Hall for a winger with size. Move Nail to the top line.

Sign a UFA winger with size. Think Jochen Hecht. Remember him? Hemsky, sign him or trade him? I trade him at this point. Would they get a first rounder? Not likely. 2nd and a top prospect D would be a stretch. Bring up another winger rookie. Hartikainen. Either Omark or Paajarvi gets traded for a pick. 2nd rounder. If there is anyway possible to trade Gagner, do it. They need size. Not a center who closely resembles Frodo. Trade Bellanger, at this point a prospect D would be nice.

So next year now looks like this.

Nail(if they tanked it) RNH, Eberle
Hecht, Gagner, Hartikainen
Jones, Horcoff, Smyth
Tough guy, Lander (or Omara), Eager

Not enough to do well in the playoffs.

The D also needs major upgrades.

Gilbert, Smid - thats it.

I actually like Sutton as a 5-6 guy. Will he want to stay? Barker...meh. Gone. Whitney, trade bait or burry him in the minors. I would Sign Potter to a 3 year deal. Peckham, Plante, Petry are not NHL caliber.

Call up Martin Maricin and Martin Gernat and sign a top 1-2 D.

Top guy - Gernat
Gilbert - Smid
Potter - Maricin
Sutton

The net minders.....Bulin gets traded for another or sent away and they pick up, hmmm Chris Mason.
Dub is not a started and likely never will be, sign a guy like Tomas Vokoun

If oilers draft a forward this year they are RETARDED. They need defense. Smid and gilbert as your top 2? They would be 4-5 on ANY other decent team at best. Gilbert is so pathetic it's not even funny. Whitney is their only good defenseman.

Unless they get some defense, they will never get to the playoffs again. There is a big reason why they went so far with pronger he was far from the only reason but he was their defense.....You have to get someone like that.

Another year and their young guys will get good enough to keep them winning, as long as they get some defense.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oilers are rebuilding like the Islanders not the Hawks or penguins. The Hawks were a solid team top to bottom, unless the oilers make some HUGE changes they won't come anywhere close to that. Even comparing the Oilers rebuild to the penguins is ridiculous, the Oilers have drafted some really solid players, but no where near the talent levels of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, or Marc-Andre Fleury.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need to get rid of hemsky!! and aquire someone who is half decent haha

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need more caracter players on that team and get 1-2 bigger man on the team that can Move the puck.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oilers are rebuilding like the Islanders not the Hawks or penguins. The Hawks were a solid team top to bottom, unless the oilers make some HUGE changes they won't come anywhere close to that. Even comparing the Oilers rebuild to the penguins is ridiculous, the Oilers have drafted some really solid players, but no where near the talent levels of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, or Marc-Andre Fleury.

Explain how they are not rebuilding the like Penguins, who rebuilt through the draft...03 Fleury, 04 Malkin, 05 Crosby, 06 Staal. who went 1-2-1-2. If drafting first and second overall is noit rebuilding through drafting, what is it?

RNH does have talent levels of Crosby or Malkin. Maybe not a pure goal scorer, but talent comes in many forums. If there were Malkin/Crosby like players available in those drafts the Oilers would have them. They took the best players available. (Hall/Seguin is debatable - I prefer the 2nd)

Cycle -

The Oilers aren't retarded to draft a forward. Just because they have a few good young forwards, doesn't mean you can't draft another. Plus drafting D has always been hit and miss. There are not a lot of mature NHL ready D in the top 5 draft each year. Take the best player available. Its retarded not to.

And where did I say Gilbert/Smid are my top two D? I said sign a 1-2 guy and pair him with one of the younger guys. Gilbert and Smid wouldn't look so bad if they weren't playing top pairing minutes every night. Whitney will continue an career of inuries. Its a prediction, thats all.

All I said was that could be something like the lines could be next year. Even with a Pronger like player on the team its not enough to keep them winning.

Its okay, when the Flames decide to blow it all up I would even be happy seeing Jay Bo going north. He won't produce a ton but he won't cost you too many either.

And they need more character players? Sorry, one old, worn out Smyth is enough. Character doesn't win cups.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus Take..............Yikes !!!! GO FLAMES GO !!! Yeppers a Flamer here..................Oils been not to bad this season actually..........lots of hockey to go yet !!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
agreed 100%....

I hope they tank, we got a glimpse of what possibly may come now back to sucking so we can get a quality draft pick...

second is the first loser, and we aren't even ready for second yet...[

QUOTE=takethebounce;1325964]Explain how they are not rebuilding the like Penguins, who rebuilt through the draft...03 Fleury, 04 Malkin, 05 Crosby, 06 Staal. who went 1-2-1-2. If drafting first and second overall is noit rebuilding through drafting, what is it?

RNH does have talent levels of Crosby or Malkin. Maybe not a pure goal scorer, but talent comes in many forums. If there were Malkin/Crosby like players available in those drafts the Oilers would have them. They took the best players available. (Hall/Seguin is debatable - I prefer the 2nd)

Cycle -

The Oilers aren't retarded to draft a forward. Just because they have a few good young forwards, doesn't mean you can't draft another. Plus drafting D has always been hit and miss. There are not a lot of mature NHL ready D in the top 5 draft each year. Take the best player available. Its retarded not to.

And where did I say Gilbert/Smid are my top two D? I said sign a 1-2 guy and pair him with one of the younger guys. Gilbert and Smid wouldn't look so bad if they weren't playing top pairing minutes every night. Whitney will continue an career of inuries. Its a prediction, thats all.

All I said was that could be something like the lines could be next year. Even with a Pronger like player on the team its not enough to keep them winning.

Its okay, when the Flames decide to blow it all up I would even be happy seeing Jay Bo going north. He won't produce a ton but he won't cost you too many either.

And they need more character players? Sorry, one old, worn out Smyth is enough. Character doesn't win cups.[/QUOTE]

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oilers are out to lunch. They need a leader that can relate to these young kids and MAC-T is not has not and will not get to them. Find a Top WHL, OHL or even university coach. Second the Oilers have 6 UFA's at the end of next season including smyth and Hemsky, wouldn't be at all surprised to see them dealt mid to late next season if the want be any kind of contender in the next 5 years as they could probably fetch some intrest. As for Horcoff he needs to go but his salary will limit his intrest to other teams.

jwood99

Reaction score
Oilers are out to lunch. They need a leader that can relate to these young kids and MAC-T is not has not and will not get to them. Find a Top WHL, OHL or even university coach. Second the Oilers have 6 UFA's at the end of next season including smyth and Hemsky, wouldn't be at all surprised to see them dealt mid to late next season if the want be any kind of contender in the next 5 years as they could probably fetch some intrest. As for Horcoff he needs to go but his salary will limit his intrest to other teams.

Tom Renney has been the coach for the oilers since may 09.

• Thanks
Reactions: win

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually pat Quinn took over duties in 09. Renney wasnt the head coach until the following year.

sent from my HTC phone cause I have nothing better to do

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think moving a couple of the good young forwards and picking up a couple of proven top 4 D-men would be the biggest improvement the Oil could make right now. There is no way that Hall, Eberle, and RNH should be expected to LEAD an NHL team that has one of the most questionable D lineups in the league.

Top Bottom