Oil opinion

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
Hey, I've been running synthetic blend in my summit. Should I stick with that or switch to full synthetic. What about amsoil? I can get amsoil for $40/gal. Compared to $60 for blendAny info?Thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't run amsoil you don't hear to good of things about on hear about it, it gums up the power valves. And does not meet the manufactures specs. I been running spectro oil and had no problems.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem with Amsoil as long as you run the right stuff. I believe Amsoil Interceptor is good for power valves, Dominator not so much. I've run Amsoil for 6 years now with no problems.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem with Amsoil as long as you run the right stuff. I believe Amsoil Interceptor is good for power valves, Dominator not so much. I've run Amsoil for 6 years now with no problems.

That's what I heard to.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never heard any problem with running rave valves and amsoil oil, the problem seems to be the heavy detegents in the oil that keeps everything clean and leaves the bearings dry. i have seen very little rave valve buildup over the years with amsoil as the motor is mr. clean clean, you must have some new info? neil sledder. what is it.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always ran the manufacturers suggested. Mineral oil for the 04 summit with 5200km+ and no issues. Now the blend for my 09 and nothing yet.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never heard any problem with running rave valves and amsoil oil, the problem seems to be the heavy detegents in the oil that keeps everything clean and leaves the bearings dry. i have seen very little rave valve buildup over the years with amsoil as the motor is mr. clean clean, you must have some new info? neil sledder. what is it.

No new info. I just read this in a few different places over the years. I never ran it in any of my sleds, but did run dominator in my banshee and had no problems. I personally think if you any quality oil and not "walmart" brand oil you should be ok. Go to snowmobile talk and read the thread 2 stroke oils rated. Click on the link and see what they say about amsoil.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No new info. I just read this in a few different places over the years. I never ran it in any of my sleds, but did run dominator in my banshee and had no problems. I personally think if you any quality oil and not "walmart" brand oil you should be ok. Go to snowmobile talk and read the thread 2 stroke oils rated. Click on the link and see what they say about amsoil.

yes i read that thread, explains a little more why rktech does not recommend using amsoil interceptor oil. but it also explains why the rave valves are so clean. i'm switching from amsoil asap. may run the shell ultra.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use co-op xls synthetic oil .... my buddy has 2 670 mod motors [ one is a 740 ] with tones of miles and years on them .... never a bearing issue ....
4 l jug is 30 bucks ... and its a full synthectic oil ..... plus it smells and looks like brps synthetic oil

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use co-op xls synthetic oil .... my buddy has 2 670 mod motors [ one is a 740 ] with tones of miles and years on them .... never a bearing issue ....
4 l jug is 30 bucks ... and its a full synthectic oil ..... plus it smells and looks like brps synthetic oil

hmm may explain why ya weren't riding part of last year. j/k any info on the oil, as smell means nothing. shheeet i seen you ride, ya stink:D.

now thats friggin funny right there hehe

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue I would look into for any non BRP brand oil is to check if it is TC-W3 compliant as BRP does not recommend oils that have that rating. (ashless)

I believe the Amsoil has that rating, as do other injector oils. Be it detergents, or whatever else contributes to less ash, it doesn't appear to be as good for these motors.

Search TC-W3 if you want more info.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Imdooing it is shell advance not altra, change your bi-focals lol Hurry it is on sale now. I use it in all other sleds, but not etech.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the co-op is tcw3. Any good oil should be

maybe re read his post,,,, tcw3 compliant is not good,,, thats how I read it......

in that chemist oil report he also says low ash with shell syn and I have also heard low ash not good for these doo engines and on the 800r many said to use semi synthic for this reason as well...

man too much info in this world lol

I have some shell left if anyone wants to buy it but the new e-tec is gonna get syn doo oil...... it aint worth saving 50 bucks this time

but I have had no issues using shell for 4 years now but I never had warranty lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the co-op is tcw3. Any good oil should be

actually the co-op xls is not TC-W3, which is good.

right from their product info

"SONIC XL-S is not recommended for use in watercooled two-cycle application requiring a NMMA TC-W3 product"

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a jug. They have a crapload on the shelf. Bought a jug today. Might buy another next time I am there.

Top Bottom