Oil in Airbox

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to sit down with my service manual and go over my quad to learn about it and see where everything is. I dielectric greased all the electronics I could get at and made sure all the fluids were full for everything. I lubed up all the A arms front and back. Then I wanted to check the air filter to see if it was dirty and when I opened the box there was oil all inside and the filter was soaked with oil. I used about 15 shop towels to sop up all the oil. This brought flashbacks of quadboys thread!.. So what could have cause this? I went out last weekend to long island lake and went through lots of water/marsh and got stuck a couple times up to the top of my tire in skeg. Could that be what caused oil to get in my airbox? I plan to change the oil and filter on Monday and sure hope I don't have more oil in the airbox problems.. Maybe it is a one off? This is the first time this has happened because I have checked the airbox a few times since owning the quad.

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's probably the same issue that teryxs have when modded. The higher RPM's cause the engine to push oil through the engine breather into the airbox.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess if you want to call it good news... at least tons of others are having this exact same problem and look like there are few potential fixes which I will try out. I can't test them though because I need a new air filter the one I have is totally oiled.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
throw a match to it .. its a polaris .. heh jk.

open up the airflow and perhaps less vac will fix your issue.

just my humble opinion.

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also get oil in the airbox on my little 350 kodiak. Pretty sure its not from vacuum @ high speeds, as it will only do 70km/h (downhill). Bike is used to plow snow and move stuff around the property, only has 750km on it. I dont know why, just sayin

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well seems like the solution is to remove the breather filter and then there will be enough air flow to stop the vacuum. Or don't drive at high speeds and avoid the rpms and then there is no problem... nah who wants to drive slow!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also get oil in the airbox on my little 350 kodiak. Pretty sure its not from vacuum @ high speeds, as it will only do 70km/h (downhill). Bike is used to plow snow and move stuff around the property, only has 750km on it. I dont know why, just sayin

There are other things that can cause this, and it's usually related to excess crankcase pressure. Overfilling the machine with oil (remember Yamaha sets their dipsticks to read the oil level when the engine is cold) is one way, worn piston rings is another...not likely in your case since the machine is pretty new but still possible.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well seems like the solution is to remove the breather filter and then there will be enough air flow to stop the vacuum. Or don't drive at high speeds and avoid the rpms and then there is no problem... nah who wants to drive slow!

Remove the filter , no biggie, 10 minute fix.....

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happened to my XP. Take it to your dealer, its an oil labyrinth on the top of your head installed wrong (Factory defect). Its pressurizing your crank and spewing it into your airbox.

I got mine fixed for free.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I will be taking in my quad to the dealer I got it from next week. but in the mean time I figured I would try the suggested easy fixes mentioned in other forums. I changed the oil and filter and then cleaned out the air box more and installed a new air filter and pre-filter. I then removed the cover breather and took out the felt breather so there is more air flow. I greased the bottom o-ring and receded the breather assembly which goes into the labyrinth cover. I know it is fully ceded now because I could feel it going into the labyrinth cover while I was gently working it in. I went down the alley a couple of times and no oil but I will take it out for a couple hour rip tomorrow and see if oil gets into the air box. If it does then it's going into the shop anyhow for warranty work so won't matter. Just want to narrow it down to the labyrinth cover because if it still leaks oil then that's what it will have to be. :d

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took my quad out and rode it like a rental and there is still a little oil getting into the air box but not as much as before. So probably removing the felt filter on the breather helped but is not the problem. As Quadboy said it will probably be the labyrinth plate.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took my quad out and rode it like a rental and there is still a little oil getting into the air box but not as much as before. So probably removing the felt filter on the breather helped but is not the problem. As Quadboy said it will probably be the labyrinth plate.

Yep, take 'er in. Promise you, when its fixed, you'll be a much happier camper.

If theres still oil in the box, they didn't do their job, so take it back again. :d

I always had fun doing that.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this post in case anyone else with a 2009-2011 850 XP has oil in the air box. First ride after removing the felt filter from the breather there was a bit of oil in the air box when I looked. I cleaned it up and went for 6 hours at the S&M quad rally and had NO oil in the air box so the oil in the air box after the first ride must have just been residual oil left in the hose from the breather to air box. either putting all purpose grease on the bottom breather assembly o-ring and reseating it into the labyrinth plate or removing the felt filter on the breather fixed it. :d

Attachments

• jlYgMs.jpg
    jlYgMs.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54

muglug

Reaction score
Yep, take 'er in. Promise you, when its fixed, you'll be a much happier camper.

If theres still oil in the box, they didn't do their job, so take it back again. :d

I always had fun doing that.
I have the same problem with a Yamaha Wolvorine . just bought

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how in that diagram step 5 says to remove o-ring 5 and then remove felt filter 10, but is pointing to 9 lmao

Last edited:
Top Bottom