Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how the trails are holding up in fernie don't like to drive on gravel much . I need to know wheather to use the deck or the 4 place will still work. Thanks

As posted above, Morrissey is toast until more melting or more snow comes (quite a bit of snow). Quite a bit of gravel/rock at the lower elevations. I rode Coal Creek last Friday and there was still snow on the trail, albeit, a little skinny to the first bridge. If the big berm at the bottom were removed trucks with decks would be able to get to the area of the first bridge to stage. Large trailers would have great difficulty in turning around. We are just starting into March and it is way too early for the trail to go to dirt but stranger things have happened with Mother Nature.

chedder

Reaction score
Any updates? Fernie ski hill shows lots of snow fell over last few days. Rolling hills could be pretty good if that's the case.

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
Temps remain below freezing above 1800m with great 'creamcheesy' windblown powder sledding. 20cm new in Tuesday's storm, 5cm new today. Light snow expected Sat AM and possibly heavy accumulation Sat PM and freezing levels near cabin level. We're probing heights of snow today around 300cm+ (we're on par with average snowpillow data measured since 1983). Coal Creek staging to top of switch back is dirt/slush/ice, same for Morrissey, heard Corbin was plowed from staging to junction for mine water sampling. Some seriously great riding but bring a rain jacket to wear below the cabin elevation. Notch has large cornice development at ridgeline. Anyone out there have details on the slab at the back of the notch in the middle photo below (vintage, depth, trigger...?).

PS - Griz Days in Fernie this weekend. Best event of the winter!

IMG_1130.jpg
P1010445.jpg
P1010436.jpg

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Temps remain below freezing above 1800m with great 'creamcheesy' windblown powder sledding. 20cm new in Tuesday's storm, 5cm new today. Light snow expected Sat AM and possibly heavy accumulation Sat PM and freezing levels near cabin level. We're probing heights of snow today around 300cm+ (we're on par with average snowpillow data measured since 1983). Coal Creek staging to top of switch back is dirt/slush/ice, same for Morrissey, heard Corbin was plowed from staging to junction for mine water sampling. Some seriously great riding but bring a rain jacket to wear below the cabin elevation. Notch has large cornice development at ridgeline. Anyone out there have details on the slab at the back of the notch in the middle photo below (vintage, depth, trigger...?).

PS - Griz Days in Fernie this weekend. Best event of the winter!

View attachment 195445
View attachment 195446
View attachment 195444

We were riding primarily East of the notch on Tuesday and did not see any slides...but the visibility sucked very much at times so we could have missed it. We turned left at the valve and dropped down the big hill to the creek and went up to the stepped benches straight to the east.

gwalstra

Reaction score
Is the trail up to the rolling hills cabin and beyond all whooped out? Or would is it relatively family friendly? Just curious about coming out Sunday.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounding like it will be a busy weekend in Fernie this weekend. Planning to come up Saturday, but had some trouble finding a room on Saturday night at our usual places. Most places seem to be booked quite full.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounding like it will be a busy weekend in Fernie this weekend. Planning to come up Saturday, but had some trouble finding a room on Saturday night at our usual places. Most places seem to be booked quite full.
Yes it is Griz days in Fernie this weekend so things will be booked up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is the trail up to the rolling hills cabin and beyond all whooped out? Or would is it relatively family friendly? Just curious about coming out Sunday.

Trail should be just fine. It is very family friendly and they probably groomed Thursday and at least once more for the weekend.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sir, directly across from the new cabin in rolling hills, in the second shot you can see the "burn" (tracked out area behind the cabin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
She was a wet one today. Snow at the top but it was wet and heavy. The snow pack is wet. A good day with lots of untracked but really hard on the short tracks in the trees today. Out in the open where the snow was packed or firmer, they were fine.

Sorry no pictures due to the low visibility and wetness.

Jvl

Reaction score
Anyone know why search and rescue was headed out lodge pole today? Wondering if it was the gong show of sleds that were riding above and around gasoline alley out at Harvey.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anyone know why search and rescue was headed out lodge pole today? Wondering if it was the gong show of sleds that were riding above and around gasoline alley out at Harvey.

I was in Coal Creek today. On the way home, I noticed the truck and trailer were not beside the building. Just sort of thought they were maybe in the parade.

Jvl

Reaction score
There was a jet ranger with a long line above us at the lodgepole, river road junction going in towards the notch or Harvey direction up that drainage. Things at Harvey were very heavy by 1:00pm and raining hard on the road out of Howell. The group by gasoline alley was still in the snow line,but not in the safest spot in these conditions. Some of the the riders in the group seemed to be having a hard time. Hopefully it wasn't them.

Top Bottom