Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get asked all the time "Why Hire A Guide". For those sledders looking to ride anywhere in BC under the direction or guidance of someone else: Please ensure you research who you are 'hiring'. Ask questions, research their business, and check for business license, certifications and insurance. Examples of professional level certifications (vs recreational) may include Association of Canadian Mountain Guides, Canadian Avalanche Association - Operations Level 1,2, or 3 (professional avalanche risk mitigation), an 80 hour or more first aid course, Ground Search and Rescue Technician training just to name a few. There are several business and locals available at very reasonable rates that can offer exceptional service.

I bet the question is more "why would I hire you", not why hire a guide.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well to complement what Ferniesnow has been saying in his posts, there is still lots of snow out there. We had a blast all day out by the Notch, pretty much blue bird all day to boot.

There is snow in them trees.

e00c0406b7d3d2cc1a5cb141869473f0.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another great day in the Rolling Hills...............sunshine, sweet pow, untracked, and just a little bit technical!

These are freeze frames from video footage so the quality isn't the best. The video will be stellar.

View attachment 195029

View attachment 195030

View attachment 195031

View attachment 195032

View attachment 195033

View attachment 195034

View attachment 195035
I'll find that place yet, haha looks like another fantastic day. 👍👍

northlander

Reaction score
Good morning there are four of us thinking of coming to Fernie for this weekend from Manitoba. Is it going to be worth the drive?

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, I am not a guide.

There is a saying adopted by the Canadian Congress of Snowmobilers (the national organization representing the provincial and territorial snowmobile clubs) that I fall into: "take a friend snowmobiling"

I tour people/friends around the Fernie/Elkford area and show them the highlights fully expecting them to come back and inject cash into the local economy (ie gas, hotels, booze, and meals). I do not charge for my services. As a retired school teacher, I am now into groups of past students who are finding the east Kootenays intriguing without taking the trek to Revy/Golden.

AST1 certified with 15 years of riding experience in the mountains of BC and many other years of experience in western Canada.

It keeps me out of the "rocking chair", I meet a lot of interesting people, and it gives me purpose. I like what I doo.

I thought all teachers were poor? LOL... keep up the great posts

Pantherscry

Reaction score
Just a little heads up, the Flathead Valley Road that runs along the Corbin mine was plowed Wednesday from the parking lot to the fork that leads upto the lakes and to the river. From that point to rain gague is not plowed. With a few days of sun the road will be dry. Not sure if this is news to anyone or if this is the best spot for the info but let me know where to post if it isn't.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how long the snow stays around there. Can one still ride at beginning of April thanks

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another day sledding in Fernie and another day that the Etec gets back to the truck on fumes.

Not much for photos today, to busy sledding.

No action shots cause no one seems to like to follow me into the trees for some reason??

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
Northlander: Riding is great in Fernie right now (as you can see by everyone's posts). Lots of snow left over from last weekends storm and blue bird skies (you may have to do some poking around in the trees by the time the weekend rolls around). Some great events and lodging deals in town as well. Don't be swayed by the other powder hogs on here telling you to go ride somewhere else!

Good morning there are four of us thinking of coming to Fernie for this weekend from Manitoba. Is it going to be worth the drive?

Top Bottom