Official 2013-14 Whistler - Pemberton and beyond thread

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got up into the alpine up the Hurley yesterday. Only 115cm up here. Pretty bony looking.

Dhk

Reaction score
A quick question i wounder if you guys can help with.
So i went up chance creek to access tricounni and got stopped by some aussie siting in a lawn chair all wrapped in blankets. He asks for 20 bucks, no problem i hand it over. Anyway i call powder mountain figuring id just by a season trail pass. They tell me they are not charging money. Does anyone know what the scoop really is about chance creek fsr.

Dhk

Reaction score
A reply from forestry my question answered.

Hello Yvonne. Thank you for your inquiry. The Chance/Roe creek FSR's are not private but they are now being managed in the winter as Recreational Snowmobile trails. They are groomed and a parking area has been constructed and will be cleared. This has been done for a variety of reasons.

To pay for the clearing and additional grooming costs a 20 dollar fee is in place. Currently there is no season pass for the trail and no reciprocal discount with the Powder Mountain club. We are in negotiations with the club to possibly do this next winter.

The fees is charged for the services provided on a not for profit basis. All funds collected are directed to the costs of managing and operating the trail. The funds collected are managed by the province and collected by PMCS under a binding non profit partnership agreement.

There is no fee to access crown land for recreation,with the exception of certain high use/cost recreation trails like Roe Creek and Brandywine etc.

You should not have to pay for the use of the trail up Roe/Chance FSR if there is no grooming or snow clearing at the Parking Lot.

You must park in the designated parking area at the Powder Mountain Cat Skiing base. This area is above the 400 m. elevation boundary of the Rubble Creek Landslide Hazard Zone. This zone is at high risk of a catastrophic landslide during an earthquake etc. No parking is allowed below this point.

Hope that explains things. Have a good ride. Alistair McCrone. Recreation Officer. Ministry of FLNRO.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dhk, care to share the email address of who you contacted about tricouni? i'm sure you're not the only one with questions on this subject. thanks.

Dhk

Reaction score
Its too bad there isnt a trail pass that would allow access province wide. A pass that could be purchased from the local snowmobile clubs, snowmobile shops in town or at gas stations. A one shot deal.

bones01

Reaction score
Its too bad there isnt a trail pass that would allow access province wide. A pass that could be purchased from the local snowmobile clubs, snowmobile shops in town or at gas stations. A one shot deal.

i couldnt agree more, take away grooming and access from the clubs and let clubs be clubs. purchase a pass from the gov and have groomers bid on the grooming season. charge one fee and i ride anywhere in bc or alberta $50.00

Washington and Oregon do this and last year it was 25.00 for snowpark pass, free for otta state, one sticker on the sled and one one the truck in the lot. anyone in the lot without sticker get a 250.00 fine

i spent 500.00 on trail passes 3 years ago, spent 20 at brandywine few weeks back, went up the trail and when it started to get deeper guess what NO Gooming. i thought i was supposed to pay and they where to groom? your welcome for your club donation.

Dhk

Reaction score
took the truck up to see what the road was like. drove to 7 mile mark and not a stitch of snow on the road. at least it was starting to come down mixed with rain, hopfully over night more will land! anyway.....
trail passes is how it works back east one shot one deal. access it all. I used to take the old safari 377 down the road to the trail head meet my buddy on is rupp. then ride the trails all over. my old friend now is atop contender in the cains quest race. 3500 km of pure hell through Labrador crazy newfies!

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
i couldnt agree more, take away grooming and access from the clubs and let clubs be clubs. purchase a pass from the gov and have groomers bid on the grooming season. charge one fee and i ride anywhere in bc or alberta $50.00

Washington and Oregon do this and last year it was 25.00 for snowpark pass, free for otta state, one sticker on the sled and one one the truck in the lot. anyone in the lot without sticker get a 250.00 fine

i spent 500.00 on trail passes 3 years ago, spent 20 at brandywine few weeks back, went up the trail and when it started to get deeper guess what NO Gooming. i thought i was supposed to pay and they where to groom? your welcome for your club donation.

thats Just stupid Like we need the GOV filling there pockets with more or are money and to pay to park my truck on crown land or fsr thats would be a joke..

bones01

Reaction score
thats Just stupid Like we need the GOV filling there pockets with more or are money and to pay to park my truck on crown land or fsr thats would be a joke..

how is this stupid or a joke? have you even read how motorized sno-parks work elsewhere in the country? hello..... pay to park your truck on crown land? its an access lot for back country use and your current trail fees or club membership cover parking in there lot. so you are already paying??? but your ok to pay to drive up a FSR road? i don't get your point?

the system works better than the current one because the groomers all compete on grooming at a bidding level. grooming costs would all go down because the current system has no competition, it's hired within the club..... who fillin pockets? trail fees are cash paid no receipts,.....

your bitchin over a 25.00 annual fee for full access to all "sno park" locations? wow

you said it sledhead... its "crown land" let the crown manage it and harmonize the whole province, if you would like access to a cabin to warm up then join a club.

washington grooms 3000 MiLES of trails
washington
SNO-PARKS california
Oregon DMV Sno-Park Parking Permits oregon

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've never ridden in the states, but it appears that grooming is scheduled and may be done every 2 or 3 weeks. what do you think brandy or rutherford would look like if it was groomed every two weeks? like s#*t. imo you are paying for a SERVICE. you are paying for grooming. many clubs have their own groomers and pay for maintenance and fuel. whoops suck, and some trails are pretty much impossible to break in to without a cat to groom the way filling in rocks and creeks etc. $20 sure beats a day or more of cutting trees and filling creeks or dodging boulders . what gets me is paying for trails that are groomed by business for their own usage/profit on crown land. if sproatt or tricouni groomed from the lot and cleaned the parking area, fine. paying to ride whoops for 3km before poaching a trail and/or having no decent parking is bs. paying to ride whoops when a groomed trail is staring at you from behind a gate, wtf? a posted email response above sounded like you're paying for a parking lot. there definitely shouldn't be any charges if you have to drive up 6km of logging road. cat skiing boundaries are respected as well (i hope). if people are going to pay to access the backcountry on an fsr, why should we respect an imaginary border for some business to make money on public land? pretty lame if you can ride your dirt bike/quad or drive a 4x4 on an fsr, but when the snow flies buck up.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unloading at 5K on the Rutherford. Pretty thin up top still

Attachments

• 1549547_10201165072640247_2112717842_n.jpg
    1549547_10201165072640247_2112717842_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 226

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
how is this stupid or a joke? have you even read how motorized sno-parks work elsewhere in the country? hello..... pay to park your truck on crown land? its an access lot for back country use and your current trail fees or club membership cover parking in there lot. so you are already paying??? but your ok to pay to drive up a FSR road? i don't get your point?

the system works better than the current one because the groomers all compete on grooming at a bidding level. grooming costs would all go down because the current system has no competition, it's hired within the club..... who fillin pockets? trail fees are cash paid no receipts,.....

your bitchin over a 25.00 annual fee for full access to all "sno park" locations? wow

you said it sledhead... its "crown land" let the crown manage it and harmonize the whole province, if you would like access to a cabin to warm up then join a club.

washington grooms 3000 MiLES of trails
washington
SNO-PARKS california
Oregon DMV Sno-Park Parking Permits oregon

Not bitching thank you .... Just think its funny how the Gov always has there hand out to ride a sled same roads in the summer have no fee's

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broke trail to Appa lake today after the big weekend dump. Temps have soared and the top layer has gone isothermal. Took my probe out just before you drop down to the lake and it dropped 100cm before it hit a rotting crust. A couple of small drops on the probe and it broke through the crust then dropped another 55cm to rock. All faceted below the crust. Saw some bugs flying around already too. We need some cold!

Top Bottom