Off Tune

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out riding my 04 Summit HME 800 today at Yanks Peak and it was pretty cold. My sled was running great, it was my first trip on it since I bought it in the summer. The sled while I was wandering around in the snow developed a bog and lost alot of power and alot of revs. I checked the plugs and changed them and was not sure what else to do. The sled didn`t run any better but i made it out of the hole I was in. A couple of times on the ride home it seemed to come back to life but not for long.
Any ideas on what I should look at. I did make it back to the truck but it would only rev about 7000rpm and sounded flat.
I am hoping that something got wet or the cold weather had it running poor and a heated shop will fix it.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out riding my 04 Summit HME 800 today at Yanks Peak and it was pretty cold. My sled was running great, it was my first trip on it since I bought it in the summer. The sled while I was wandering around in the snow developed a bog and lost alot of power and alot of revs. I checked the plugs and changed them and was not sure what else to do. The sled didn`t run any better but i made it out of the hole I was in. A couple of times on the ride home it seemed to come back to life but not for long.
Any ideas on what I should look at. I did make it back to the truck but it would only rev about 7000rpm and sounded flat.
I am hoping that something got wet or the cold weather had it running poor and a heated shop will fix it.

mine done that last year and i found a manifold leak well more then a leak bolts fell out manifold almost fell off replaced the gaskets worked great

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the rave valves out today and one was possibly sticky when pulling out. That same one had a big gouge on the edge of it that looks like it is not new, probably from a previous problem. Should I replace it now while it is out or do you think it would make any difference.

Thanks

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was about -20 all day give or take, depending if you were in the sun or not.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
replace rave valves if you there is a gouge... wouldnt hurt... do compression check should be around 125 give or take a few... if it is around 100 i would check pistons and cylinders rave valve might have hit piston...it shouldnt but i have heard of it... check the part number on the rave vales see if the updated ones were put in... and if nothing else works check the spark plug wires... never had problems with icing up i my heated carbs or not heated took that crap off

Last edited:

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure am getting alot of good input and now have alot to check.

I am going to search for updates for my sled also, I wonder where to look.

Thanks

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started it up today after cleaning the RAVES and it ran good for a bit and then it went flat again. I even switched coil and wires and plugs today with my cousins sled and nothing changed. Tomorow I will dive into the carbs although I don't think that that is the issue.

Thanks

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
04 had ring flaking problems even 125 is soft ,they were 150psi new.

Top Bottom