OCTNE warning

Bllrdr

Reaction score
After a good day of riding my 2010 M8 SnoPro, I got a warning light saying OCTNE and some serious sputtering at higher RPM's. Felt normal at lower RPM.
Any advice on this?
What does the OCTNE warning mean?

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OCTNE means your computer sensed det which is caused by not enough octane. Are you running an aftermarket can?

Bllrdr

Reaction score
Yes I'm running a MBRP can. I've always ran 91 octane. I've rode at Quartz Creek once with the can and 91. Yesterday I put half a tank of 94 octane in it and rode all day at Revy with no problems. Last night we filled up with 91 octane at Esso in Revy and then rode all day today in Sicamous where the light came on half way back down the trail.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a good day of riding my 2010 M8 SnoPro, I got a warning light saying OCTNE and some serious sputtering at higher RPM's. Felt normal at lower RPM. Any advice on this? What does the OCTNE warning mean?
i got a 2010 m8 also and since new that f***ing light comes on all the time, went for a ride 2 days ago came on 8 time in a roll, and i have burned from 91 octne to c16 and still would come on , i am going to take it to the dealer on the 27 and he said he is going to fix it so i will wait and c..

Bllrdr

Reaction score
I don't wanna hear that. We're in BC for a week and this is only the second day with no shops open Christmas day!!!

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 m8 did the same thing but only with a mbrp can and below 4500 ft. stock can no code and over 4500 ft. with can no code all day. 91 octane fuel.

Bllrdr

Reaction score
Does the "limp mode" only affect it at high RPM's?
Anyways, I filled up with 91 octane at Chevron this morning and didn't have any problems today. No problems, except that we couldn't see a thing on Frisby Ridge. Rode for about 3 hours, staying really close to the trails and finally had to give up.
Hope it clears up tomorrow!!!!

Bllrdr

Reaction score
That's some sensible info. Thnx for that post. At least I can go to the dealer and bring this issue up.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I think I need to get mine done too ('11 M8). On the trail down from a day of riding in Golden I had the same problems starting at around '5000 feet. I had stopped beside a bunch of fellas sipping on a few cold ones. They told me it was because the sled was getting warm and to throw my ice scratchers down in order to cool my sled down some more. It worked for that day, but I've still had it happen on random occasions.

jerry

Reaction score
could be you are using fuel with ethenal chevron shell and coop fuel are the only ones with no ethenal in there 1st grade fuel

vans

Reaction score
I have a 2011 sno pro m8 and i also have a mbrp can on it and run only 91 octane.Never had an issue and i even rode the sled a little bit at around 2800 ft in elevation. I have also been mailed out the recall for my sled but never took it in cause i don't have a problem but i would definately look into it for ones with detonation as this will retard the timing when it senses det and if that doesn't work than it will go in limp mode which will only go away after you shutdown and restart but when it senses the det and adjustes the timing you will loose some power hence the lose of det. but if your like me i would fix what's not broken as for the 2010 i would talk to the dealer and see if you can have the reflash or take it easy till you get up to higher elevations and make sure you have good quality gas from a buzy station so its fresh and hopefully no moisture in it and run at least 91 with NO octane.

dane709

Reaction score
Anyone find out the problem ...?? I have 2010 M8 and when in deep snow the octane light come on all the time. What a pain in da ass:-(

BIGTurboT

Reaction score
More then likley it is poor quality, or old fuel. I usually expirience the octane warning the first ride of the year if I have a lil bit of old fuel in the tank. I use Shell V-Power, never really had a problem. Also never ever fuel up at a station if the tanker is in there filling up the tanks! they stir up all the junk and water that has settled out on the bottom of the tank. If you have brand new good quality fuel, and your still getting the warning, check the knock sensor torque...17 ft/lbs. I believe. Over torquing of the sensor will increase its sensitivity, which I think is a common problem from the factory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom