Nytro MTX questions

junior750

Reaction score
hey all, i have tried searching a bit and found some good info but i thought it would be benificial to start a new discussion.

over the summer, i changed out some toys and in the process gave up my 2010 Assault, so im sledless.

im looking at another machine, and am putting some serious consideration into a yamaha nytro mtx 153. the vast majority of my riding is off trail and in the hills, and im very interested in a yammie 4 stroke long track.

if anyone has any real world reviiews to share that would be great, and if anyone could answer me a few questions in the meantime.

i currently have a grizzly 550 atv and a SHO waverunner, so i have full faith in the yamaha package and their reliability. just wondering if people out there are talking about any issues of the new mtx, and if there are any major problems with this sled that the aftermarket needs to be called in for to improve basic operations.

how is the weight issue? my take is that i am far from a pro rider, so an extra 60, 70, 80 etc lbs really wont hurt me, as im not out soaring through the air, and my childhood fear of heights holds me back a little when i see the massive hills that only the bravest people dare try haha

next, the motor. as much as people knock other brands, that 800 assault could boogie, loads of power, very throwable and never seems to have an issue standing the skis, so how would you compare the ride of the genesis 130 hp 4 stroke. will it snap you back like the assault motor did? how about out of the hole and WOT? i just assume thats with the extra motor weight and the different technology i may be quickly looking for a turbo to get that thrill (which for the average guy isnt in the budget right now)

also, how is the stock track? if it helps, i hated the track on the assault. the lugs were solid and had zero flex, and on those times when you had to hit the hard packed, i lost lugs when i didnt think i would have. just wondering how people who own these machines would rate the maverick.

i have been told that this machine NEEDS a trail tank due to minimal fuel capacity, when we ride, you may not see a gas station at all over the whole day, so it seems obvious that the bigger tank would do the trick. ive read horror stories about fitment issues and leaks, has this issue ever been resolved? has the quality improved at all?

mainly, i am looking for a fun ride that will keep with with my 800 2 stroke pals, and make me just as happy as the waverunner and the grizzly have.

thanks in advance for any answers and suggestions.

cheers

tredeb

Reaction score
I rode both a nytro xtx and a crossfire and an M series when I was looking to buy a new sled. I was able to put about 100 - 150 km on each before I made my purchase.

A few of my observations:

On power, to me the seat of the pants factor was not there on the nitro. I went good enough and seemed to pull well, but it did not have the snap of a 2 stroke. I think I would budget for modifications if I were buying one.

On weight, you do notice the weight. I am a big guy and have no problem tossing a sled around and I could notice the weight of the sled. You will feel this by the end of the day, especially if you get stuck.

riding position, the nytro is very easy to stand up on. If you like to stand all the time, you will like the nytro.

Fuel mileage. the range on the nytro is about the same as a 2stk sled. the nytro does it on 7 - 8 gallons while a 2 stk does it on 10-12 gallons.

Can't comment on the track as I rode the XTX not the MTX.

I think you will be able to ride with 800's, but so can 600's. I don't think you will be able to keep up with them in a race or climbing situation without modifications.

FWIW, I bought a crossfire 800 as it suited my riding style better, mostly trails and meadows and not much hills.

junior750

Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply. i have been offered the chance to take an xtx from the local dealer to see how i like it, so i guess ill let that influence my decision for the most part.

ive been reading that for the most part the mtx is about 50 lbs heavier then the 800 two strokes, which is not a big deal to me.

after i ride one ill be able to make a better decision.

anyone else having anything to offer it would be appreciated.

cheers

littlehoe

Reaction score
i bought my MTX last year as a left over so its an 09. Doesn't have the newer rear suspension and floats...

I ended up riding all prairies, not much trails, just fields and such... I really enjoyed the 4 stroke.

I rode with 2 09 polaris 600, one a shift 136 and the other a rmk 144. We could all do about the same mileage on the fuel we had, however I still decided to put the trail tank on because I don't like carrying a fuel jug and at the end of a long ride when you find that last big field I hate not being able to play because I was worried about how much fuel I had left. I just installed my trailtank and I was happy with the fit and finish, its not absolutely perfect but I am definitely not going to be complaining about it.

I swapped sleds with the RMK one day and I found that sled was amazingly flickable compared to mine, keeping in mind I hadn't done any suspension tuning. The polaris felt really light compared to my yammie but I also found the 600 to be a dog compared to the 4 stroke... To me the 4 stroke felt like it had alot more off the line.

Snow conditions were minimal however I was still able to lay the sled over in a few spots without to much effort once I got use to the sled. I should also mention the 09 I have still has a sway bar up front and I am pretty sure from 10 on they removed it on the mtx.

Track wise alot of people complain about the factory track on the 09 I have, I am not sure if it is different on the newer ones, its a maverick track and it is soft, the paddles tend to fold over if you do alot of trail riding is the main complaint.

Overall, I really like the yammie, I added a few things to it this summer which should make it even more fun this year...Plus once I learn more about suspension systems and setting it up it will only get better...

junior750

Reaction score
thanks for your post also. i dont doubt that due to the lesser weight the rmk is more throwable, and having just gotten off of an RMK Assault i know where your coming from.

im all for turn key fun, and the fact that some locals have been telling me they have owned them and had no problems with them since purchased, i think im leaning toward the nytro.

the wallet and i could get used to one oil change a year and a lower fuel bill.

littlehoe, how have you found the wear on your hyfax on this machine? i guess like most people, we need to ride some trails to get into the hills, and snow conditions everywhere are not always ideal. i noticed, just like my buddies rmk 155 dragon, this machine has no bogie wheels, and he managed to not only burn up his sliders, but actually through them and into the metal.

thanks again.

cheers

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for your post also. i dont doubt that due to the lesser weight the rmk is more throwable, and having just gotten off of an RMK Assault i know where your coming from.

im all for turn key fun, and the fact that some locals have been telling me they have owned them and had no problems with them since purchased, i think im leaning toward the nytro.

the wallet and i could get used to one oil change a year and a lower fuel bill.

littlehoe, how have you found the wear on your hyfax on this machine? i guess like most people, we need to ride some trails to get into the hills, and snow conditions everywhere are not always ideal. i noticed, just like my buddies rmk 155 dragon, this machine has no bogie wheels, and he managed to not only burn up his sliders, but actually through them and into the metal.

thanks again.

cheers

ice scratchers are a must....i have two sets on my apex and had 8500km on my first set

junior750

Reaction score
figured id need them. thanks everyone for your help. and ill gladly listen to any opinions on this machine.

cheers

littlehoe

Reaction score
My 09 had bogies but because i was out riding in very low snow conditions, and then made a 200km trip on hard pack trail my first hyfax were gone by 600kms... not to the metal but to the indicator mark in spots...

I put new ones on, rode in better snow conditions for the second half of the season, and loosened the track quite a bit from where it was from the dealership. Got about 400 kms on then now and they don't even look like they have wore at all...

I think I will add some scratchers this year... just for extra help in the early season riding...

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all, i have tried searching a bit and found some good info but i thought it would be benificial to start a new discussion.

over the summer, i changed out some toys and in the process gave up my 2010 Assault, so im sledless.

im looking at another machine, and am putting some serious consideration into a yamaha nytro mtx 153. the vast majority of my riding is off trail and in the hills, and im very interested in a yammie 4 stroke long track.

if anyone has any real world reviiews to share that would be great, and if anyone could answer me a few questions in the meantime.

i currently have a grizzly 550 atv and a SHO waverunner, so i have full faith in the yamaha package and their reliability. just wondering if people out there are talking about any issues of the new mtx, and if there are any major problems with this sled that the aftermarket needs to be called in for to improve basic operations.

how is the weight issue? my take is that i am far from a pro rider, so an extra 60, 70, 80 etc lbs really wont hurt me, as im not out soaring through the air, and my childhood fear of heights holds me back a little when i see the massive hills that only the bravest people dare try hahaYou will notice the weight when your stuck but please note the XTX is set up completly different than a MTX, the MTX boondocks better than an XP (in my experience in the deep stuff, particullarly with no stab bar anymore, I cut mine off. Straighten out the handlebars for a more up and down rise and let the throttle do your driving.

next, the motor. as much as people knock other brands, that 800 assault could boogie, loads of power, very throwable and never seems to have an issue standing the skis, so how would you compare the ride of the genesis 130 hp 4 stroke. will it snap you back like the assault motor did? how about out of the hole and WOT? i just assume thats with the extra motor weight and the different technology i may be quickly looking for a turbo to get that thrill (which for the average guy isnt in the budget right now)- Power is torquey, but it doesn't keep pulling like an 800 2smoker, in mid range it has the power to please, but when pulling in the deep in the hills you will be wishing for a little bit more, This could be partial to the WORST track in the business MAVerick SUCKS!!, but I'm changing my track as after 1200km it is wore out and i'm saving my pennies for a 180-200hp low lag turbo.

also, how is the stock track? if it helps, i hated the track on the assault. the lugs were solid and had zero flex, and on those times when you had to hit the hard packed, i lost lugs when i didnt think i would have. just wondering how people who own these machines would rate the maverick.Worst track ever, the 1.5" on my old school phazer would do better, once those lugs start folding over it is a negative affect and you really notice how crappy it is, perhaps the harder durometer on the new style will make it better, but I see alot of challengers or powder claws out there on nytros

i have been told that this machine NEEDS a trail tank due to minimal fuel capacity, when we ride, you may not see a gas station at all over the whole day, so it seems obvious that the bigger tank would do the trick. ive read horror stories about fitment issues and leaks, has this issue ever been resolved? has the quality improved at all?I ride a full day in 2 feet of fresh pow with a 10L jerry can on board, that is pretty well the same as most other sleds, roughly 80-95km of tap the throttle style riding, this would be a minimal concern for me.

mainly, i am looking for a fun ride that will keep with with my 800 2 stroke pals, and make me just as happy as the waverunner and the grizzly have.I love mine, it is a blast to ride and going onto a 3rd season with 3 oil changes, one belt and a lot of fun. PS nytros acutally work really well in super deep, had one day in Allen creek 4-5 feet fresh, the Doo's kept bogging out, but the nytro kept pulling hard, it was a one in a million day but I still high marked all the 800's for once.

thanks in advance for any answers and suggestions.

cheers

Hope what ever you do it is fun!!

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go for a 2010 or newer. i had an 08 and now own a 2010 and its world of difference from the first year of the mtx. yes the maverick sucks as a track, and probably always will. i've never ran my 2010 stock. from day one i tranfered my rapid bike tuner and yoshimura pipe from my 08 (im still tweeking the clutching to get the right revs) but with those mods im very pleased at the power output im getting. its feels like the 2010 is lighter and nimbler than the 08 and 09, could be the wider ski stance or the few pounds it lost, not sure but love the ride. ive ridden a few other sleds and maybe its because im too used to my nytro but they just didnt feel right. especially the xp's i felt a lil more comfortable on the cat, but i still like my nytro. mileage is one thing ive never really been to concerned about, im not burning more than my 2 smoker buddies and thats all im really worried about. weight is a pointless factor in my mind, cuz you can overcome that with horsepower and all sleds are heavy when your stuck. but i would recomend the mtx over the xtx if your after the steep and deep, however you will burn slidders like matches if you dont install the scratchers, ive heard good things about hyper-fax slidders and im gonna give em a shot this year and hope for good results. I dont know what else to tell you, bottom line is i love mine and i think you'll be very happy with one aswell. any other questions, just post em and myself and many other members will be glad to throw there 2 cents in. good luck and happy nytro-ing :beer:

junior750

Reaction score
hey thanks guys for the help. i dont buy things used as a rule, so id be looking for something brand new from the local dealer. ive read a lot saying the changes from the 08-09 to the 2010-2011 were a big improvement, and id never buy a first year model of anything anyhow.

glad to hear some positive reviews. like i said, im far from a pro rider, i just enjoy being out in the hills and back country, and am not really worried about being the king of the hill or the first one at the finish line.

i think the mtx will be my purchase, though the idea of an xtx with a larger paddle track sounds good, im sticking to my guns.

ive been into the dealer and saw a trail tank on a nytro, and though im sure the added capacity is great, the fit and finish wasnt what id want. the gap near the front of the seat, and the plastic around the fuel cap filler turned me off. i guess ill save some money and look into the mountain rack and exhaust turnout.

are the machines as reliable as everyone says? i can get used to one oil change a year and such, but hows the machine on belts and plugs? anyoen ever have the machine not start in the cold, and be stranded as you cant pull it over?

thanks all

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my apex has 8400km on the original belt and plug have been changed once....a friend of mine from nova scotia has a 09 nytro with 18000km and only had a starter fail on him and a belt failed on him at 9000km.....if you keep em stock you will not find a more reliable sled than a 4 stroke yamaha

junior750

Reaction score
thats pretty good odds there.

so what happens if the machine doesnt start? may be a foolish question but can they be "jump" started?

littlehoe

Reaction score
I haven't had it where it wouldn't start but I am sure you could just boost it like a car... as long as you have another buddy with a sled that has a battery...lol...

junior750

Reaction score
sounds good. thanks everyone for your time.

anything else worth noting would be appreciated :beer:

dirk660

Reaction score
i read alot about the stock tracks being no good, but i use my mtx on the groomed trails and found it worked quite well because the lugs would bend rather then tear out. the guy who had my before i did had cut the lugs, but then it just tore them out. i loosed the track off and that seemed to make a difference on the silde wearout issues. i rode a 2010 600 dragon and a 600 doo they are great sleds but they were no 4 stroke in my opinion. the four stoke just has the arm wrenching torque. (i love it). i noticed the weight a little bit but when you are on the throttle you dont noticed it because the weight shifts back and it just floats just like any other rider forward sled.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it ever does die on you, boosting is your only option. If you ride with two smokers and they all don't have batteries, you can buy a nifty little adapter plug that hooks in the headlight plug and will allow you to boost from a battery-less sled. But so long as your battery is fine and your posts are tight you will have no issues. Belt wear is minimal and the plug change interval is many miles down the road. Your first oil change should be at about 500k or so, then after that its once a season and I think every other year for chaincase oil (depending on how many miles you log) your dealer can tell you about all service intervals recomended by yamaha.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this applies to the Nytro but I've had a few issues with starter relays on my Apex and Phazer. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think the issues was getting them wet and corroding. Solved by using di-electric grease on the contacts.

I also broke the head of off the bolt holding the gear on my drive shaft. Common Apex problem. Stronger bolt fixed that.

Other than that, 5500 trouble free kms.

Ditto on the Maverick, I went through two on my apex then installed a CE 2.5. I'm not sure if it was the increase in paddle size from 2.25" to 2.5" or the stiffer paddles but damned what a differnece. Even the guys I ride with (non believers on Revs) noticed where the Apex was going.

macsummit

Reaction score
If it ever does die on you, boosting is your only option. If you ride with two smokers and they all don't have batteries, you can buy a nifty little adapter plug that hooks in the headlight plug and will allow you to boost from a battery-less sled. But so long as your battery is fine and your posts are tight you will have no issues. Belt wear is minimal and the plug change interval is many miles down the road. Your first oil change should be at about 500k or so, then after that its once a season and I think every other year for chaincase oil (depending on how many miles you log) your dealer can't tell you about all service intervals recomended by yamaha.
where do you find one of those nifty little adapter plug that hooks in the headlight to boost your sled

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be honest i dont know, my buddy informed me on the existence of them. google? or maybe even local deallers? even still if you cant find one, im sure manufacturing one would be quite easy :d

Top Bottom