Numbers on boats

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just have a question, I don't have any numbers on my boat for registration(on the hull) I am heading to Idaho and B.C for vacation. I have not had any problems in Alberta with not having them on. My question is Do I need them?? I have no idea, if I do I better get some A.S.A.P. I leave on Friday. Thanks guys.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a link that might answer your questions .

Second one is the link to the PDF files you can print off

rampager

Reaction score
Federal offense not to have em!

When I worked at a place that sold boats they could have em issued via fax in a few buisness days. Not too sure if thats something just anyone can do or a special thing for dealers. The mailed out official form always took a month or more to get to the customer but they would at least get us the #'s so we could apply them to the boat before delivery.

Cheers

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
go to the service canada centre in meadowlark

Meadowlark Shopping Centre, Suite 120
15710 87th Avenue North-West
Edmonton, Alberta

I haven't registerd mine yet either... you can still make out the Washington call #'s but they have been peeled off.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! Looks like I better get on this quick!! I looked through my paper work I got with the boat when I bought it from the dealership and I do have a govt. Registration form, just have to get some numbers made up and put them on.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Federal offense not to have em!

When I worked at a place that sold boats they could have em issued via fax in a few buisness days. Not too sure if thats something just anyone can do or a special thing for dealers. The mailed out official form always took a month or more to get to the customer but they would at least get us the #'s so we could apply them to the boat before delivery.

Cheers

WRONG..... Sick of people telling me this....I'm not saying it's a bad idea but IT'S NOT MADITORY..

Quote from service canada ship registration page...

"Owners of pleasure craft are not required by law to be registered but may do so on a voluntary basis. Registration is mandatory for vessels over 15 gross tons, but voluntary for those under 15 gross tons."

Just sayin..... Guy at Wabamun was giving me chit this past weekend...next time I'll tell him to go fugg his hat...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WRONG..... Sick of people telling me this....I'm not saying it's a bad idea but IT'S NOT MADITORY..

"Owners of pleasure craft are not required by law to be registered but may do so on a voluntary basis. Registration is mandatory for vessels over 15 gross tons, but voluntary for those under 15 gross tons."

Just sayin..... Guy at Wabamun was giving me chit this past weekend...next time I'll tell him to go fugg his hat...

good to know. bogger would you like to buy an "N" just sayin

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey there Bogger, we just went by this, found at
on the Service Canada webpage:

What is a pleasure craft licence?
A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number-commonly referred to as the "licence number"-that owners must display on a recreational vessel's bow, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Owners must either license or register all recreational vessels powered by engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, regardless of where they operate them in Canada. Law enforcement and search and rescue officials use the licence number to help trace a pleasure craft to its owner.

What types of boats do I need to license?

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

Seems like conflicting info on the same website, hey?

:)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I gave them chit about that today when I was licencing my boat....

She couldn't find a valid postal code for the previous owner and was having a hard time proceeding... this is when I said "well chrizt, it's a voluntary program should make it as easy as possible"... to which she replied that anything over 10hp was manditory..... I said well your own website says otherwise you should fix that...apparently the website is not her department nor responsibility....

So I retract my earlier comments about not needing licencing...apparently you do..that said I have never heard of anyone being fined for not having it without prior provication... I've had conversations with both RCMP & CO's right beside my unlicenced un-numbered boat....

Hey there Bogger, we just went by this, found at
on the Service Canada webpage:

What is a pleasure craft licence?
A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number-commonly referred to as the "licence number"-that owners must display on a recreational vessel's bow, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Owners must either license or register all recreational vessels powered by engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, regardless of where they operate them in Canada. Law enforcement and search and rescue officials use the licence number to help trace a pleasure craft to its owner.

What types of boats do I need to license?

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

Seems like conflicting info on the same website, hey?

:)

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got stopped on Jackfish a couple years ago in my old Malibu, i think the only thing that saved my azz was the little kids in the boat.

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

She couldn't find a valid postal code for the previous owner and was having a hard time proceeding... this is when I said "well chrizt, it's a voluntary program should make it as easy as possible"... to which she replied that anything over 10hp was manditory..... I said well your own website says otherwise you should fix that...apparently the website is not her department nor responsibility....

So I retract my earlier comments about not needing licencing...apparently you do..that said I have never heard of anyone being fined for not having it without prior provication... I've had conversations with both RCMP & CO's right beside my unlicenced un-numbered boat....

Yeah, well we help each other where we can, right ? When it comes to what the government-type sites say, sometimes I think none of them know because they seem so mixed up half the time anyway trying to figure out their own discrepancies .:dontknow:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
And honestly the Service Canada people dont care, they lost this service recently and next year it goes back to Customs and Immigration. Just did a transfer and although it went well, they really dont care anymore....

rampager

Reaction score
What most people dont realize is alot of marine laws and acts are not well known by those who typicaly are enforcing them. If its a regular cop or someone not specifically trained for marine situations chances are they have no clue what the laws are. Add to that the fact there is no central data base they can check to find your pleasure craft licence #'s (or if you have your operators card) and it just adds to the confusion. It IS law and it IS something they can bust your balls about and Ive certainly learned over the years you are far better off not giving them an "easy" reason to do so. It may annoy them but I'd personally rather have em walk away annoyed cause you have all your ducks in a row than have em pissed off and giving you a ticket for something silly which doesnt even cost you anything.

Incidentally I was involved in a fairly serious issue on the water in June and not a single person, RCMP or conservation officer etc on scene asked me for my boats serial number, pleasure craft licence or operators card(I offered them all up at a later date). That goes to show you how many "non marine specific" enforcement officers simply dont know the things to ask. I guess we're lucky in AB there arent that many cops on the water, say like in Ontario for example, but then again at least when you get pulled over by one there they know what the hell they are talking about!

Also be careful when you are looking up marine laws and regulations, pleasure craft and ships(commercial or otherwise) do not necessarily have the same sets of rules and regs.

Dont even get me started on how ignorant 95% of the population is when it comes to laws govering boating on a river! :mad: (this includes the police)

Top Bottom