Notch Avalanche today!!

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
These pictures are awesome. This looks like it ran almost to ground - possibly a climax avalanche. For those that witnessed it, the CAC would like these large incidents reported even with no involvement - you can complete an incident report form anonymously. Incident Report. some incidents get posted on the CAC site, some are just used as information for the forecasters.

Maclintock

Reaction score
We have been up in the back country (Barnes, Pipeline, Lodgepole, Flathead,
Wigwam, and lots of other areas this year in the vicinity of those). It is very dangerous out their and I have seen way too many Kooks for my liking. Stick to the trees and meadows as they have been very safe and fun.
Play safe and it is great that you place these reports for all to see.
Also please forward to the Canadian Avalanche your info as they can always use this information to help them out as well.
Great Post!

Nytro58

Reaction score
My bro and I were up there that same day riding VERY CLOSE to the pipeline. We were just speaking to those three guys on the turbo'd Nytro (anniversary edition), a turbo'd Apex and I think it was a new Rev. We were just speaking about the incident at Harvey to them. They said they "Just didn't want to think about it anymore." These guys asked us if we wanted to follow them and we politely declined.
Within an hour or so, we saw you other guys enter the tress off the pipeline near us. We both hit some rocks and stumps and decided to stop and check our sleds. We heard a big crack and a whump from where ALL of you dudes were near. Immediately we had the same thoughts as you guys, do we endanger ourselves now? Well, the answer was no. We both have little kids that need us. I'm not saying I didn't want to go in there and check it out. But the reality is, when you put yourself in an unsafe position without regards to your own safety, I guess you gotta take the consequences.
Good thing you guys weren't highmarking too, or there could be another group lost.
08 Nytro, 08 Rev XP
Keep it real

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dobair, It's an eye opener for anyone that hasn't seen what a slope looks like after a slide. Great pics!:beer::beer:

Hammerqueen

Reaction score
thanks for the pics,thers is alot to be learned from this kind of info.all incidents should be documented to inform those who will listen.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post man that looks nasty, I can imagine just how many wind loaded slopes just like it are sitting waiting to go. Ticking time bomb, all you need is the trigger.
glad you all come back safe.

kootenaysled

Reaction score
An interesting perspective for those caught up in the technical mumbo jumbo of the Canadian Avalanche Center reports...........

Layman's quote:

"If the snowfield is the size of your living room and as steep as your staircase - be very cautious!" These pictures show that the ugly layer buried at the bottom of the snowpack will remain prominent for the remainder of the 2009 season - be safe!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
has anywhere else on china wall slid yet. i was going to take a ride out there this weekend and was wondering if anyone has dropped off the left side and down into the valley. that whole ridge is very wind loaded and just waiting for a trigger.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
like Nytro58 said, we were RIGHT there and heard the slide... we both froze for a sec to try and see which direction the slide was... we soon realized it was the boys we had just talked to... But to get to where they were, you had to do some sidehills and negotiating through some Avy draws... So we decided not to endanger ourselves (tough call) But with young children at home, I wasn't ready to take the risk.... Stupidity hurts, and I'm just hoping this "close call" smartens those guys up

Top Bottom