Notch Avalanche today!!

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont even know where to begin after what we witnessed today. Eight of us headed out today staging from Corbin. An experienced, avalanche wise group to enjoy some of the latest snow in the meadows and small slopes. We had witnessed sloughing right off the pipeline and the fact that we were within five miles of the most recent tragedy was a continual reminder. knowing the snow conditions we knew it would be simply idiotic to highmark. Late in the afternoon we were playing in the trees within sight of the Notch, a basin near Fernie. We were shocked to see four to five guys climbing below several over hanging cornices on the right hand side of the Notch. We just could not believe our eyes knowing how unstable the snow is. These boys were not just touching the slope they were running turbos, and modded machines to the top. In the two minutes we watched we saw these guys do absolutely everything you are not supposed to do. Two to three guys highmarking at once, guys highmarking above others that are stuck, sidehilling above others, these guys had a $%#@ death wish. One guy is on the slope and we here the rumble of an avalanche that we think is on the back side or an adjacent basin. Within about a minute one guy had just rode down the slope and not 100 feet from some of their highmarks the snowpack fractures just below the peak and the entire mountain comes down. The avalanche spanned about 500 yards and we suspect the fracture near the top was 15 feet deep. The trees were destroyed on that slope. Two of us rode over to make sure we could see all the riders. Two guys I spoke to were parked side by side with their machines off facing the mountain. They had saw the avalanche and were still parked directly under a section that had not slid. Two other guys were so consumed in their actions they had not even saw the avalanche. I dont know who these guys were but their actions show a complete lack of respect for the dangers out there and frankly the sledders we just lost. Guess who would have had to risk our lives to try and dig these guys out.."US"...the group had a Blue turbo Apex, a Mountain Cat 900 with a lexan Hood, a Summit, a HCR M8, and two Dragons...I have attached a number of photos where you can see the fracture line and maybe the highmarks beside it. I did not want to get any closer than that....sorry for the rant but we were pissed off. If you know who these guys are they need to be spoken to...

p.s. Great day prior to that with Dale, Dave, Jason, Andy, Mike, Brent, and Lance..

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 285
M

mattmedic

:nono:some people just lack comon sence, and should be shot with a ball of their own sh-t. the problem is that they dont care, or respect the sport and mother nature.....shame on them, and friends that condone it ......:rant::mad::realmad:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Dobir.....how many of these tragic deaths in Avi's could be prevented. We all know and talk about the terrible snow conditions and unstability, we should therefore all know to stay away from the obvious!!

Just as much fun to be had on the trails, in the meadows and trees so we can all go home to loved ones at the end of the day!! ALIVE!!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can teach people a lot of things, but one thing you can't teach them is common sense! And, it's amazing how many people lack it!!

That one must have made a rumble ans a half!!

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year me and my brother watched that exact hill slide, while one guy was trying to show off for his buddies. This guy climbed made a cut across the face , then bang it broke in two different spots. The slide was about 250 feet across and 3-4 feet deep. That is crazy how some people lack the common sense to climb in there after the unstable snow pack we have.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice pics Dobir, i still had chills when i got home, Just thinking if we had to find one of those idiots. Hey, Maybe if he is man enough and is a member he will let us know what the hell they were thinking. I agree with what you said about the idiots get away and the rescuers get caught. Anyways had a good ride anyways, know i will pull her in the shop and check ot over before revy......Can't wait.

GRD

Reaction score
Thanks for posting Dobir... Good pictures too... That is crazy!

mike jackson

Reaction score
very well said. I had a great day sledding with the group. Felt safe and never
wanted to test the slopes due to the snow conditions. Sadly, I think there
are far to many snowmobiliers, that see it as a sport to test their bravado.
For those who fell the need to do this maybe the should try a sport that
doesn't put other peoples lives on the line. Try sky diving for a thrill.
Thanks for the pictures. Mike

M5-

Reaction score
So question if you are facing the Notch say sitting on the pipeline is that the bowl over to the left that you go down that really long steep trail into the trees?

M5

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no..if you were on the pipeline at the last creek crossing before you rise to China Hill..this is the basin off to the right..you can see it from the pipeline...another way to explain it is when you max out at the top..that ridge to the right about 1'2 a mile over...anywhere along that ridge is the same!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was in the Rolling Hills on Sunday and the CAC Bulletin stated that below treeline the rating was High. There are large amounts of wind blown snow and the base is great but this all sits on a very weak layer that was effected by the extreme cold. The area of concern is not heavily treed therefore very suspect.

One of our riders got into an open area and was looking/searching for a way out and ended up getting stuck in the process (the wind blown snow was over 8' deep). He heard the infamous 'loud whumpf', immediately saw the cracks in the snow below his machine and scrambled to some large trees for presumed safety. Everything settled down and no avalanche occurred. He got on the radio and the retrieval was very nerve wracking. It was the scariest rescue I have ever had. Two guys from Medicine Hat were gracious enough to come and help and all ended well. Thanks to their efforts we had the machine out of danger rather quickly.

This area I have described is a little north of the Notch but very similar conditions. Time to be very careful and educated in the 'science of snow'.

The late John Wayne has a quote....."Life is tough....it's even tougher if you're stupid."

turbofarmer

Reaction score
how many more families have to suffer this winter from people ignoring the risks and thinking there indistructable? this is a good winter to take an avalanche course and use proper gear and good ol common sense.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the pics the snow looks deep. As we all know if it looks deep in pics then it is really deep. It is important to note that the trees in the lanche area looked untouched. Important information for sledders who think the trees are a safe area, especially on steeper slopes.

Top Bottom