Not impressed with my new 509 goggles!

rotax583

Reaction score
The 509 helmet is a thh tx-12.it sells for 89.99 cdn but its a comfortable helmet.the 200$ for the 509 is a little to much to pay to just have 509 on the side of it.for those having fogging issues you should try the FXR anti fog face mask.... Best mask ive had so far

Thunder101

Reaction score
I sweat and I fog up most everything I wear :) but I have found a spray wax that I have been using for years on my elec shield and goggles and I can tell when it wears off because I start to fog/ice up. I have F4 klim helmet and 509 aviators. Ive tried lots of goggles and IMO it has to do with how well they fit the helmet. and as I said I find the wax helps.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sweat and I fog up most everything I wear :) but I have found a spray wax that I have been using for years on my elec shield and goggles and I can tell when it wears off because I start to fog/ice up. I have F4 klim helmet and 509 aviators. Ive tried lots of goggles and IMO it has to do with how well they fit the helmet. and as I said I find the wax helps.
Want to share what the product is called?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am wearing a 509 with sinister goggles first year with this type of setup, I always wore a visor. The only thing I have found is if I am stopping even for only 30 seconds I must remove them or they will fog. The fit is great, I rode at -30 with no windshield and they block about 99% of the wind on the face. A very happy 509 owner!!!

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You couldn't give me another set of Okley Crowbar goggles, expensive and lenses fog. You look at them they scratch. Both the wife and I dropped the cash on the Crowbars and suffered for a couple years fighting with new lenses and warranty to finally say Okley can stuff it. Once they got the cash they couldn't care. We switched to 509 aviators this season and bought a number of lenses for different conditions and still walked away thinking we stole something. My wife got the 509 helmet as well to match her orange sled. I wear black and matches everything so I am ok with the BRP helmet. The anti fog fan was bought for both sets of goggles and all I can say is I haven't had so much clarity when sledding in almost every condition. Polarized lenses, colors and goggle styles who can go wrong. When asked about the aviators on the mountain it is very clear there isn't very many people happy with the sinisters for a multitude of reasons. I did get some interesting looks when people realized the anti fog fan can be bought. These fans are a dream and been using something similar for 20 years in the JT Paintball systems in my younger years.

The last sled show I was at I had a rather long conversation with one of the 509 people at there booth. Honestly if I got the impression if it didn't work they would take the extra step to make it work. So I haven't had to test the theory.

The field of vision on aviators is wicked to!

509 FILMS

Reaction score
You couldn't give me another set of Okley Crowbar goggles, expensive and lenses fog. You look at them they scratch. Both the wife and I dropped the cash on the Crowbars and suffered for a couple years fighting with new lenses and warranty to finally say Okley can stuff it. Once they got the cash they couldn't care. We switched to 509 aviators this season and bought a number of lenses for different conditions and still walked away thinking we stole something. My wife got the 509 helmet as well to match her orange sled. I wear black and matches everything so I am ok with the BRP helmet. The anti fog fan was bought for both sets of goggles and all I can say is I haven't had so much clarity when sledding in almost every condition. Polarized lenses, colors and goggle styles who can go wrong. When asked about the aviators on the mountain it is very clear there isn't very many people happy with the sinisters for a multitude of reasons. I did get some interesting looks when people realized the anti fog fan can be bought. These fans are a dream and been using something similar for 20 years in the JT Paintball systems in my younger years.

The last sled show I was at I had a rather long conversation with one of the 509 people at there booth. Honestly if I got the impression if it didn't work they would take the extra step to make it work. So I haven't had to test the theory.

The field of vision on aviators is wicked to!

Thank you for this testimonial! You highlight a point we take great pride in, and that's customer service. WE ARE SNOWMOBILERS and we stand behind the products we make. Whatever the issue our goal is complete customer satisfaction. We're not a massive corporation that provides no support for our small industry. We are involved through and through and give back tremendously to the sport. If there is ever an issue with any of our products, it simply takes one call for our support to resolve the issue and its toll free: 1-877-743-3509.

This thread is a great summary of goggles in general. One mans favorite goggle is another mans worst. And it boils down to fit. Everyone has a different size/shape head and thus has different goggle requirements. The goggle that fits your head and helmet the best, will give you the best performance. Fog is a very simple thing and it boils down to one thing only: MOISTURE. Moisture causes fog and thus you eliminate moisture, you eliminate fogging. A big factor in this is the "seal". A goggle MUST seal tightly to your face, or everytime you breath, your warm breath (packed with moisture) will enter right inside your goggle and cause nothing but trouble. So no matter the goggle brand you are wearing, if you are experiencing issues, first do a test fit and check the goggle seal. Ensure your goggle strap is tight and properly adjusted. From there, make sure you are also not over dressed and pouring sweat into your goggles. Systematically eliminate the possible sources of moisture and you'll eliminate your fog issues. If there is fog inbetween your lens panes, the lens seal has been compromised and that's a warranty issue. Fog on the outside of the lens is another story. There is not a goggle in the snowmobile industry that has an anti-fog coating on the outside of the outer lens. This is because the finishes on this lens (hard coatings, mirrors, etc) don't bond well with AF coatings. Oakley, Spy, Scott, you name it, no one has an AF coating on the outer lens. So if you experience fog while stopped on the outer lens, it will quickly dissipate as soon as you are in motion. You can also control these using a cold weather breathbox, balaclava, or even directional breathing.

So it all boils down to the goggle that best fits YOU and also the company that stands behind their products. When you call 509, you'll get a customer service rep that owns multiple snowmobiles, wears the product and genuinely cares about customer satisfaction. We stand behind our gear and will do what it takes to make it right when needed.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody unhappy with their 509's ill give ya $20 for them. Maybe $40 for aviators lol

Ive had 509s for quite a while and until just before christmas ive never had a problem. I had a set of sinisters have a little bit of glue let go at the top of the goggle that holds the foam on. I contacted joanne at 509 just asking about them and instantly was able to help me out. Between me and the gf we have 5 pairs of 509s. 4 winters and a set of the dirt pros i think the are called for the summer. I have had a great experiance with the goggles and the customer support was great. I see us continuing to use the brand not only for the product but the customer service.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True. While I had some problems with my set of Sinisters, contacting 509 and telling them the problem was easy, and the put the warranty claim process to work quickly. I had an email from a dealer in Golden a day or two later about sending the replacement. Sent me prepaid shipping label that I could print and throw on a box, and them would send out a new pair with new lenses as well (also problems with).

I won't give up quite on them yet due to this. I think you would be hard pressed to find quicker customer service. Can't say it was overly stellar from the dealer end though...still waiting on my new pair and not returning emails etc. Kind of annoying. I'll give them another go though.

Someone else mentioned wind protection....pretty impressed on that end.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Katie and I are both new users of the Sinister goggles this year. Just converted from a full face to open face helmet/goggle set up. More than pleased with the goggles to date. I will be buying us another pair next year at the snowmobile show (money is always tight, looking for a deal). I set both sleds up with goggle bags under the hood so when/if they fog up a quick swap and we are off again.

Keep up the good work 509!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got my warranty replacement set of Sinister's.

I picked up a pair of Smith Snow Fuel V.1 as a backup, and truth be told, I prefer them now. They fogged a lot less, and the yellow tint was a lot nicer. For 60 bucks they are a great buy. And they still have a nosepiece for the wind.

StewartsDragon

Reaction score
Ive had 509's for 2 years now sinister and aviators. No fog ups or ch!t coming apart. I love them. However i find if you cover your nose with a belacalva theyll fog up. But the nose piece works awesome for keeping your nose out of the cold and wind and warm.

bourgon

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of aviators and when I switch the lenze the fome will peal back and snow will hit me in the eyes and they don't fit the 509 helmet at all I am going back to my doo lid and thinking of trying a good pair of Oakleys.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 509 helemet and sinisters, They fog bad for me in B.C. they work great for blocking the wind out in sask and never fog.

I wear dragon dx mx goggles with the snow lens in them in b.c. and they work great for me for not fogging. Most my riding ground wears 509s and they seem to wear them all day but i cant, basically the trail up then i change them to my dragons then have a spare set of dragons for the ride out.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hubby and I have been using 509's since the original 509 Sinisters came out quite a few years ago....the only two complaints I have is that 1. I have four pairs of those original goggles and 509 NO LONGER sells lenses for them!! 2. On a newer pair of Sinisters I purchased last year with the yellow/mirror finish lens, all the mirror coating came off, so they were useless after using them twice.

On a positive note, we each have a pair of the Black Ops Polarized, which do work pretty decent, just a little spendy though to end up as spares. The lenses in the Black Ops I found are really for blue blazer days, usually a great spring riding gog. I also have the newer Sinisters with my favorite lens, the fire mirror which is really awesome for all light conditions. These goggles do fit really awesome with my 661 helmet, and my hubby has the 509 helmet and the combo seems to work good together. We haven't had much trouble with fogging, but we use our goggle warmer on our sleds, and always have a spare pair ready especially on warmer, wet snow days.

Top Bottom