Not impressed with my new 509 goggles!

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Bought the wife a pair of sinisters last year and she loves them and looks pretty rad. So I just laid out 115 bucks fer a pair of the black ops model which I thought would be great on those sunny days! What POS goggles,fogging up constantly and literally falling apart. Anybody else out there having the same experience? Or maybe I should of bought the burrant model?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I bought a pair and hate them! I get 1 maybe 2 rides out of a set of lenses! The two layers come apart all the time. And they fog up steady!

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my sinisters for a year and never have a fogging problem with them. Dont have the black ops but its strange that they are that different.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird. I have 2 pairs of sinisters, one being the black ops. My girlfriend also wears sinisters. This is our second season with them now and they work great. I did find tho that mine would fog up once and a while at first.
I bought a 509 helmet and never had a problem since. It must be the combo

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasted my money on a pair of sinisters for stocking stuffer & 509 helmet. Helmet is ok but the goggles fit like skit with their helmet, go figure!!! Long & short she now has oakleys much better. A happy wife is a good ride lol

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 509's never fog but I got a 509 carbon fiber helmet for Christmas and my sisinister googles fit like $hit. The foam peice on the nose pushes down and iritates the hell out of me. So for $500 IMO it's a terrible set up.Big waste of money in my opinion

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had one of first 509 sinisters made and have been great. Bought new sinisters and aviators month ago and still workn good. Helmet/balaclava play a big part in foggn.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took off the nose guard last weekend and it helped with the fogging. They still fog but clear up quick now once I get miving

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have fogging issues with my Aviators, but I also have the same issue with every other goggle I use. Oakley, Smith, 509, doesn't matter for me. I actually bring one of each pair with me when I'm riding and swap them out as they start fogging, and stick the fogged up one in my underhood bag.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get wipes that are anti fog for safety glass. I haven't tried but is supposed to work.

Sent from my iPhone

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sent back a two month pair of Sinisters on warranty. The foam was separating all over the goggle, the top decorative piece was falling off, and the yellow lens I had in it, iced so bad that removing the ice scratched them up. Not impressed at all. They fog like crazy, with a balaclava or without, and regardless or temperature. Killed more than a few minutes or riding because of these pieces of crap.

So far, the warranty return process has been good, having them replaced by a place in Golden. We`ll see if maybe I just got a crappy pair.

I may buy a pair of Dragons or Smith Snow Fuel's next. The Smith's are only $70!

So far the 509's are all show, and no go.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Ill say it over and over and over.. OAKLEY! I have tried literally EVERY goggle out there and they are SO far superior it not even funny. Stop wasting money buying cheap goggles over and over when you can just buy ONE good pair... I have slowly converted my whole riding group and nobody has looked back.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing I do like about 509 is the nose piece. LOVE it. It would be hard to go back to one without it. Also why I was looking at the Snow Fuels.

I'm on the Oakley wagon for glasses without a doubt. Can you get the nose pieces for Oakleys? Which model do you recommend T-Team?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill say it over and over and over.. OAKLEY! I have tried literally EVERY goggle out there and they are SO far superior it not even funny. Stop wasting money buying cheap goggles over and over when you can just buy ONE good pair... I have slowly converted my whole riding group and nobody has looked back.

you buy cheap and you will get cheap.
Spend some money on nice Oakleys or Smiths (not the 70 dollar ones) and you will get fog waaaay less.
Don't ever scrape ice or fog from the inside of the goggle, especially when they are wet. You'll mess up the anti-fog and probably scratch them as the outside plastic is made for wiping but the inside is not so sturdy. If you always wipe the fog from the inside, they will fog quicker and quicker.
If you are a foggy (sweaty) guy, get a goggle with big volume between your face and the lens so they will take longer to fog and if you are digging or pulling sleds, any physical work without wind on your face, take your goggles off.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever model fits your face with your helmet the best. That is really the best way to prevent/reduce fogging. Make sure you have a good seal between the goggle and your face/breath box. Try to avoid getting overly sweaty with your goggles on.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
The one thing I do like about 509 is the nose piece. LOVE it. It would be hard to go back to one without it. Also why I was looking at the Snow Fuels.

I'm on the Oakley wagon for glasses without a doubt. Can you get the nose pieces for Oakleys? Which model do you recommend T-Team?

Crowbars are a decent price.. Just over a hundred I think... WELL worth it!!! PM me and I can probably ship you up a pair.. There are also a line called "airbrake" by oakley... They have a quick release and they come with a couple different high and flat light lenses... So if your condiotions change... POP.. DONE. Or if you ever drop them and get snow in them you just swap the lense it takes TWO SECONDS.. I HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend them bar NONE better than anything out there you will NOT be sorry.. I have tried dragons, smiths.. everything. The smiths were also a good goggle but they just dont compare.. You cant compete with oakley they are far to big and have WAY more money to throw at R and D.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pair of Sinisters, the first year model and the newer ones. The older ones never fog on me. The newer ones did when I put quick straps on them, put full strap back on and the fogging mostly stopped. I have worn both pair with three different helmets, didn't seem to make a difference to the fogging. The newer goggles seem to fog a bit when I'm stopped if I have a balaclava on. I too like the nose guard on the newer goggles.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used all oakleys last year without issue. As soon as I started using them this year I couldn't keep them clear. Always foging BAD. The lenses alone for them cost over 70 bucks. Fawk that. At least with my 509's the lenses are 20 bucks.

Top Bottom