Noise Bylaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the talk on here! I live on a street that has constant Sleds, Dirt bikes, ATV's, Side X Sides, Deisels,Harleys,Race bikes and the list goes on. The point I am getting at is they are all someones toy and they are proud of it. It can be as loud or as quiet as THEY want. The vehicle that is going by your home or business may sound like it is going fast but they may not be shifting gears properly or just having a little FUN like ALL of us have at one time in our life. If you have a problem with sound in your home or business you should put some money into your doors, windows and insulation as it is time for some upgrades. I don't think it is fair to single out a individual group but as long as we try to ride under the radar the police will not bug you. Just like tinted windows and all the other BS tickets they are allowed to issue. The city is just trying to respond to the complaints by introducing a new bylaw that will be followed for a month, then it will be back to how it was before.

Just my 2 cents:)

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is NO blind spot in a personal car/truck trying looking in all 3 mirrors and do a shoulder check. If you can find a blind spot that a bike can fit in i will but you a 24 of beer.

*covers rear window with a garbage bag*

huge blind spot, right there.
Please send case of beer to:
JaySimon

:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or put a 12" lift in it. then you cant even see the rice burners with the big fin

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cyle, i thought you were joking. what makes you want to get someone killed or inured for life. everyone that drives in alberta goes through construction zones every year. i'm not sure, but your rite of way starts at the flag people, and ends where you must protect the driving public. check your construction contract. if you drive in front of a car you will be responsible. how can you tell if a guy is doing 60 km or 50 km, have you some sort of training. people are people cyle, they all do dumb things, rarely with the intent of hurting someone. your job is to protect the people driving by, not to be the police ,judge and executioner,
you are joking right?

My job is safety, primarly and pretty much solely for the workers. You can generally tell if someone is speeding when they are flying by other people. No if you hit construction equipment, you are at fault. Yes they need proper lights, etc but 99.9999% of the time they are in the right. Yes a smaller guy might have a issue, but it's a BIG difference when it's the city. Yes I don't want anyone to get hurt. But my biggest concern about getting home safely is me and my fellow workers.

How many times have you seen flag people run over? Or cars drive right by them when they are holding up stop? Can't count how many times i've seen it happen. As far as i'm concerned, driving 70 in a 60 construction zone with people working near the road is like playing russian routlette, eventully SOMEONE is going to loose. I have been clipped by mirrors driving by going to my truck, it's not fun. Funny how a tractor has plenty of room to get by you but it's the guy in prius that doesn't have enough room? I ALWAYS have equipment onto traffic not people. Because you'd much rather have equipment hitting a vehicle then a worker.

I don't want anyone to get hurt. But I can tell you right now, if anyone will by hurt on my watch it will by the person doing something wrong which is 99.9999% of the time the driver of the vehicle on the road. I will not be hurt or killed trying to do my job I can tell you that right now. Regardless of what it takes to avoid that.

dooryder I am really curious as to what you operate. Considering how long ago was it you were looking for a job in edmonton as what a 17 year old with no experience? Operating a broom is not equipment :rolleyes:

Yes I will say my other post did come across harsh, everyone needs to come home safe. But it is the responability of EVERYONE driving by the construction sites to.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here's the reason I am so pissed off. The stupid women killed this innocent guy working and gets fawk all! The idiot was fawking texting killed him, got out of her vehicle and was still texting, didn't even know what happened! Everyone and their dog knows she was texting while she hit him. Any bets it changed the outcome the fact that were he is from?

I sware if I seen that happen to one of my co-workers, I would be going to jail. She should of got 20-30 years ATLEAST. She killed someone and won't even get a fawking criminal record for it?!?!

I do this exact same thing sometimes 5-10 times a day.....and everyone here wonders why I am so worried about stupid drivers?

Edmonton woman fined $2,300 for careless driving that killed landscaper

Last edited:

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get it! Don't RIP through construction zones. We have all heard it on the radio. TIPS!

Thanks,

Ian

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got to put a stop to the loud bikes and idiots who like to rev them in residental areas at night. I for one am sick of hearing the deafening sound. Some bikes are 10x worse then any vehicle i've ever heard, even in regular driving hearing it over my truck and music, am very tired of it. If people could ride responsibly it wouldn't be a issue. The few wreck it for the many. I just think they should be impounding any bike, car, truck that is causing extremely excessive noise. It would put a nice end to it or even stunting tickets for it.......

But I can tell you right now, I won't put up with loud bikes in my neighborhood. If I know a bike that is loud and likes to roar past my house, I will put a end to it myself.

It sucks for the responsable riders, but o well. It's gone on to long. But I think it should be for cars and trucks to. But the whole "loud pipes save lifes" is the STUPIDEST thing i've ever heard. The noise doesn't do ANYTHING but annoy people. You think someone in a semi can hear it? NOPE! You think a lot of stupid drivers who can't pay attention will notice/know where the noise is coming from? NOPE! Maybe a lot of bikers should stop trying to weave in and out of traffic, i'm bigger I don't give a ch!t if you end up under my truck for driving like a idiot.....

That statement cyle is pretty ignorant,Ive had bikes all my life and all had louder aftermarket pipes and if you dont think the noise help us from getting ran over you obviosly have never been on a bike.The big rigs are the last thing I worry about,they move slow and for the most part have professional drivers trying to make a living(gravel Trucks Excluded)Most of the idiots weaving in and out of traffic are in cars,not bikes.Lastly with your attitude with bikers,way to many people feel like you and thats how bikers end up dead,you should hear the cars(little cars with big pipes) in my neighborhood,they are way worse then the bikes.and we have both.
Share the road,noisy or not!
catmando!
catmando!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That statement cyle is pretty ignorant,Ive had bikes all my life and all had louder aftermarket pipes and if you dont think the noise help us from getting ran over you obviosly have never been on a bike.The big rigs are the last thing I worry about,they move slow and for the most part have professional drivers trying to make a living(gravel Trucks Excluded)Most of the idiots weaving in and out of traffic are in cars,not bikes.Lastly with your attitude with bikers,way to many people feel like you and thats how bikers end up dead,you should hear the cars(little cars with big pipes) in my neighborhood,they are way worse then the bikes.and we have both.
Share the road,noisy or not!
catmando!
catmando!

But here's the thing, a lot of the people who don't pay attention to the road, if they hear some loud pipes do you think they will do anything? Maybe? What are the chances they will have any clue who it is or even be smart enough to look in the right place? Or react fast enough if needed? Or the people weaving in and out in cars, do you think most of them will even be phazed by hearing loud pipes? I really doubt it.

So why would loud pipes help? The smart drivers know where the bikes are, and most don't care to hear them. And the thing is, the more loud pipes you hear the less people will pay attention. If I heard a fire alarm 1 time a year I would react. If I heard it 20 times a day I wouldn't even notice it or care.....Will be the same thing with bikes I am sure. If I am driving and I hear a loud bike, I don't do anything but say "holy crap is that annoying". Not once have I ever been looking around to see if a bike is near me.

And there is way to many out there abusing them. Why not put some kind of loud horn on it? Gotta be just as easy to hit as the throttle.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cyle i will talk 4 everyone on this forum stop talking while u still ahead i think u pissed enuff people off allready just saying :nono:

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a toy people! If you don't like it go ride a pedal bike in a provincial park where you cannot have powersports equipment and enjoy the peace and quiet. Till then deal with it! No one is going to take their personalization off of their machine because a scraper operator does not like it at work. It is like asking me to tell my boss that i had to shut down the plant because it was to noisy. I can't justify it, I am told to put ear plugs in and deal with it.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle that is a hell of a good idea my pipes are about 102db and the air horn on my bike is about 110db, where is the duct tape for the horn button LOL This is a good topic sure got lots of people fired up, myself included :rant:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so you won't complain if I put a nice train horn on my vehicle and drive down your street at 2am blasting it? You can put in ear plugs right? Exact same thing.

There is senseable noise and there is obnoxius. Equipment is a different story. People are modding the bikes to make them louder on purpose. Doesn't happen with equipment, it is that loud because that's how it has to be.

Like anything, if you abuse it you will loose it. I highly doubt cops will go around testing every bike. Ya if they hear you roar by romping the throttle they will probably test it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle that is a hell of a good idea my pipes are about 102db and the air horn on my bike is about 110db, where is the duct tape for the horn button LOL This is a good topic sure got lots of people fired up, myself included :rant:

I am willing to bet 99% of people would be WAY more tolerant of horns then throttles. It would stop people in the middle of the night roaring down jasper ave, or in residental areas, etc. But it won't happen, because loud pipes save lifes is an excuse for most to have a loud bike, plain and simple.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in oil patch alberta and air force alberta. The noise never stops. Try a Fighter Jet over your house at 11pm. The bar crowd at 3AM and the work trucks at 4AM. You have no leg to stand on in my books. Noise is part of life, I accept that it is going to happen and I don't stop and tell the road construction by my home that they are disturbing my sleep. I know they have a job to do and I deal with that.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you talking about getting hit by mirrors now?? This thread is about the noise bylaw. And I bet it was a truck or car that hit you with their mirror? You should write a letter banning mirrors to the city now. They're a hazard.

Back to the noise bylaw, It's kind of a touch and go subject. Yes, some people are really pushing how loud their bikes are, they don't need to be 120 decibels and they're only damaging their own hearing so let them keep it like that, I only have to deal with it for 10 seconds until he's gone, but 92 decibels isn't as quiet as some people may think, motocross bikes have to meet 96 decibels, and listen to how loud they are?

But it SHOULD include EVERYTHING that is on the road, from Big Earls drag piped, Black Harley-Davidson to the 16 year old new driver with the 89 honda civic with a 4" muffler, 2 subwoofers, with the fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror (the inside one, don't worry cyle, you won't be getting hit by fuzzy dice now too)

I think if the people that complaining to the city, think the noise is going to be gone all in total, they are going to be very disappointed.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ok I think the thread has ran it's coarse turning into a bash fest of personal opinions

What has come outta this is

If you own a bike with loud mufflers the law is dumb......unless you don't own then it is good

Owning a big lifted diesel with loud straight pipes is dumb.....unless you own one

Imports with loud mufflers and big stereos is dumb.....unless you own one

People who speed and text through construction areas is dumb......well you ARE dumb

Big trucks with jakes rattling through town, jet fighters, construction equipment, train whistles, kids on Whyte Ave........ they are all loud to some people

But nattering back and forth doesn't change any of it so time for it to go b-bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom