New welder

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like somebody bought a Canadian Tire Lincoln feeder and went to work.

Canadian tire units can preform much better than that.

Would be pretty hard to do that bad.

Maybe try hooking up the ground cable?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian tire units can preform much better than that.

Would be pretty hard to do that bad.

Maybe try hooking up the ground cable?

The ground was hooked up. No ground would just leave a pile of wire on the ground.

I'm going with the guy didn't have a helmet and went with the squint and tack approach. By the end of it he must have been so blind he figured he did a good job.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ground was hooked up. No ground would just leave a pile of wire on the ground.

I'm going with the guy didn't have a helmet and went with the squint and tack approach. By the end of it he must have been so blind he figured he did a good job.

Didnt turn the gas on or used a self sheilding wire with horrible settings.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt turn the gas on or used a self sheilding wire with horrible settings.

Not enough porosity to have had the gas off. Possible the flow rate was set too low or the guy was long arcing putting the nozzle too far away.

That's definitely solid wire with gas. The technique is just absolutely horrendous to cause that mess.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not enough porosity to have had the gas off. Possible the flow rate was set too low or the guy was long arcing putting the nozzle too far away.

That's definitely solid wire with gas. The technique is just absolutely horrendous to cause that mess.

Sounds like you have lots of experience welding with the gas off :)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a fab shop, I've seen just about everything...

I had a weak moment yesterday walking through Canadian Tire, bought one of these:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-inverter-arc-75-stick-welder-0589862p.html#srp

I couldnt help myself, so friggen cheap on sale, I wanted a real small stick welder for those quick jobs where I didnt have to fire up the 305 Trailblazer

I have a 20 amp 110 volt plug in the shop, it suprised the hell out of me. Ran 4- 3/32 Arctec 223 sticks in a row and didnt pop the breaker, reasonable penetration. It has a sticky start because. well, just not alot of juice there, but for those quick jobs it laid a decent arc. The 3/32 223 was the smallest stick I had, but I might just get some 3/32 6011 or 5/64 222 for the real small stuff.

Beauty of it was just plug it into 110 and do a quick job. And at $129.00? I have spent more than that on a bad steak.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a weak moment yesterday walking through Canadian Tire, bought one of these:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-inverter-arc-75-stick-welder-0589862p.html#srp

I couldnt help myself, so friggen cheap on sale, I wanted a real small stick welder for those quick jobs where I didnt have to fire up the 305 Trailblazer

I have a 20 amp 110 volt plug in the shop, it suprised the hell out of me. Ran 4 3/32 Arctec 223 sticks in a row and didnt pop the breaker, reasonable penetration. It has a sticky start because. well, just not alot of juice there, but for those quick jobs it laid a decent arc. The 3/32 223 was the smallest stick I had, but I might just get some 3/32 6011 or 5/64 222 for the real small stuff.

Beauty of it was just plug it into 110 and do a quick job. And at $129.00? I have spent more than that on a bad steak.

welder1.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a 20 amp 110 volt plug in the shop, it suprised the hell out of me. Ran 4- 3/32 Arctec 223 sticks in a row and didnt pop the breaker, reasonable penetration. It has a sticky start because. well, just not alot of juice there, but for those quick jobs it laid a decent arc. The 3/32 223 was the smallest stick I had, but I might just get some 3/32 6011 or 5/64 222 for the real small stuff.

I've looked at those as well, but I'm of the mentality that 6010 and 7018 are the only 2 rods needed to weld 95% of all steel, and since 3/32" is the smallest common size for both 75 amps just doesn't quite cut it. If I need real portability my Squarewave 200 will put out up to 90 amps on 110 and can be run off my 3100 generator.

But if you're running other rod I don't see why that wouldn't work, and like you say it's not like its a lot of money if it doesn't.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've looked at those as well, but I'm of the mentality that 6010 and 7018 are the only 2 rods needed to weld 95% of all steel, and since 3/32" is the smallest common size for both 75 amps just doesn't quite cut it. If I need real portability my Squarewave 200 will put out up to 90 amps on 110 and can be run off my 3100 generator.

But if you're running other rod I don't see why that wouldn't work, and like you say it's not like its a lot of money if it doesn't.

75 maps is pretty light for most welding, but I was impressed that the little bugger could burn 3/32 223 4 sticks in a row and didnt pop the 20 amp 110 breaker. Not going to be welding up any truck frames with it, but lots of time you have to weld on a mud flap hanger or do a quick fix on something and its nice to not have to pull everything out and set up. Im not an ER70S6 wire kinda guy, if your welding short circuit your not getting much penetration and I would rather run a small stick and know there is some weld to work with. Anything I am the least bit worried about I will fire up the Trailblazer or the 251 millermatic and make sure it aint gonna break.

I have a Yamaha 2000i generator, next time I fire it up Im gonna plug the welder in, see if it will burn anything.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
75 maps is pretty light for most welding, but I was impressed that the little bugger could burn 3/32 223 4 sticks in a row and didnt pop the 20 amp 110 breaker. Not going to be welding up any truck frames with it, but lots of time you have to weld on a mud flap hanger or do a quick fix on something and its nice to not have to pull everything out and set up. Im not an ER70S6 wire kinda guy, if your welding short circuit your not getting much penetration and I would rather run a small stick and know there is some weld to work with. Anything I am the least bit worried about I will fire up the Trailblazer or the 251 millermatic and make sure it aint gonna break.

I have a Yamaha 2000i generator, next time I fire it up Im gonna plug the welder in, see if it will burn anything.

I definitely agree the portability is a nice feature.

ER70S-6 has it's place, mostly in high pace manufacturing facilities with low paid labour where quality isn't the primary goal. The frame of our new fifth wheel is an example of this. In our shop the only place ER70S-6 gets used is for the root pass of pressure pipe welds using the RMD process or for seal welding small containments or drip trays on thin material. For all critical structural connections (lifting lugs etc) we only use 7018-1, it's just too easy to have un-seen defects with E71-T fluxcore.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree the portability is a nice feature.

ER70S-6 has it's place, mostly in high pace manufacturing facilities with low paid labour where quality isn't the primary goal. The frame of our new fifth wheel is an example of this. In our shop the only place ER70S-6 gets used is for the root pass of pressure pipe welds using the RMD process or for seal welding small containments or drip trays on thin material. For all critical structural connections (lifting lugs etc) we only use 7018-1, it's just too easy to have un-seen defects with E71-T fluxcore.

Your correct with the S6 wire. If we didnt have something as cheap as that for most manufacturing we wouldnt be able to build anything in Canada for a reasonable price. In my case I dont like it because I am rarely working with clean, uncontaminated metal. Got to use a few cheater elements to make up for some of the damage that mother nature and a heavy foot bring upon me.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that looks like pigeon sh!t ...how long was the bird sitting there?
All that's missing is a bead of silicone to cover it up.

the smart ones cover it with JB Weld, then you can grind it smooth and look like you knew what your were doing. I heard that somewhere ......................

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jamesbar

Reaction score
i bought a miller and then a hobart but finally settled on a lincoln . after i threw them all in the river i felt alot better . cheers

Top Bottom