New welder

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the hunt for a new welder.

Got my eye on 2 models.

Hobart 210 transformer based wire feed, no lcd display for 1200.

Lincoln 210, inverter technology, digital display, can do mig, tig, and stick - current rebates bring it down to just under 1500.

Ive never welded a thing in my life, lots of copper soldering as a plumber though.

My shop is almost done and its time to fil it up. Things i could see myself doing, would be brackets, shelving, little things around the acreage, maybe some gates etc... and eventually body work on the old trucks.

Whats your folk's thoughts?

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the Hobart 210 handler with an aluminum spool gun. The steel welds awesome and burnt lots of roles of wire through it trouble free. It basically a miller it’s the exact same machine. That being said I would take a Lincoln of a miller seen less issues with miller. But both welders are nice and will be good. One other nice thing about the Hobart is princess auto sells them so you can get tips and stuff any day of the week. Lincoln is harder to get parts for mostly welding supply places. But now with KMS tools you probably can find parts there for them. Do your self a favour and price out the miller with pulse mig (can’t remember the model). But the pulse will be much nicer to weld with over straight mig. It will be more money but if you decide to weld aluminum with it ever you will be thanking yourself you spent the extra. Come to think I should sell my Hobart and get myself that pulse unit.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Lincoln 200 tig it’s one of the best welding tigs I have ever used. Don’t let guys tell you miller is a better machine then Hobart, that’s like saying a chev truck is better than a gmc. Same machine just different paint.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5749a2cfc3c7b45d91c0be1922848ed8.jpg

Just seen this on my emails at work

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i get that flyer to, thats why i was considering the lincoln 210. Or amazon has the hobart 210 for 1243 but i have a 50 dollar off rebate for amazon.

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Lincoln 200 tig it’s one of the best welding tigs I have ever used. Don’t let guys tell you miller is a better machine then Hobart, that’s like saying a chev truck is better than a gmc. Same machine just different paint.

buddy has a Lincoln 180 tig, really likes it. I have the miller dynasty 200dx... no complaints.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I both have Lincolns at home and at work...if you start out new you shouldn't have issues with any of the different mfg's.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this Tig specific. I have heard a few years ago the, do everthing machines don't do Tig very well . Does it still hold true?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this Tig specific. I have heard a few years ago the, do everthing machines don't do Tig very well . Does it still hold true?

Usually the cheaper multi-process machines are DC tig only. Not so good for aluminum tig work. Unless you go really high end then they do everything AC and DC. Big bucks though last time I looked.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot really depends how often you plan to use the thing, not a lot of people need a $2k+ welder for the odd project. I'm quite happy with the chinese mig/arc I got for $600 at RB. I notice no difference compared to the Miller mig I was using before, except for the cost.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mine is tig or stick no mig. The ac high frequency tig is not on the machine that does mig. They do everything good for the average guy in there garage. But you wouldn’t want to be rolling stainless tig roots with it. The Lincoln tig, mig, stick unit will not to weld aluminum. So to me it’s not worth it I would buy a mig welder then a ac tig and stick machine.

On a side note give Dragonweld on here a pm he sells welders.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually the cheaper multi-process machines are DC tig only. Not so good for aluminum tig work. Unless you go really high end then they do everything AC and DC. Big bucks though last time I looked.

It is impossible to weld aluminum with dc tig.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an Esab Rebel 215 and love it. Might be an option for you.
Can run 110 or 220v
mig, tig, or arc.
When mig welding, you can put it auto by just turning it to the metal thickness, and it controls the wire speed and temp.
Works great for what I do.

Last edited:

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt looked into the esab yet? Kms sells them though, must be a decent quality???

Top Bottom