New sled, what ta buy??

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a tree guy, a side grinder is not a tree machine

Everyone is a tree guy now... I have a snowbike for the trees but the winder aint so bad in there either, just leaves you needing a hot tub at the end of the day after a few good stucks :beer:

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my whole crew rides doo doos, I care off an XM onto my sidewinder, and by no means am I a big guy. We ride 75% trees, creeks and stuff. You can defiantly feel the extra weight but they are to much fun to switch back to a 2 stroke and the Yamaha reliability is unmatched! Take it for what it’s worth and tear me apart but that’s my 2 cents!

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my whole crew rides doo doos, I care off an XM onto my sidewinder, and by no means am I a big guy. We ride 75% trees, creeks and stuff. You can defiantly feel the extra weight but they are to much fun to switch back to a 2 stroke and the Yamaha reliability is unmatched! Take it for what it’s worth and tear me apart but that’s my 2 cents!

You forgot to add the beautiful turbo noises

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know a few guys who thought the Side Winder was the cat's meow........................funny thing is, they got rid of them after the first or during the first winter!!

I'm with Tex on this one.............Side Winder's aren't for the trees and if the trees are tight they are even more useless.

longtrack 156

Reaction score
When I bought my M7 I looked at reviews, (https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50659) posted on Snowest),, someone there said, "why are they picking on Skidoo and Polaris, the reply, "all brands were asked for reviews", Cat engines were less prone to failure back then, my question is are there any, besides Yamaha that will run 5000 miles without needing engine work? Drive train? My Cat needed Diamond drive oil change every 500 miles, nuisance!!!!! How are the suspensions holding up? To me there isn't enough difference in performance to overlook reliability! And durability?

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys who thought the Side Winder was the cat's meow........................funny thing is, they got rid of them after the first or during the first winter!!

I'm with Tex on this one.............Side Winder's aren't for the trees and if the trees are tight they are even more useless.

Ya your right, I bought my sidewinder off a guy who had trouble getting out of his truck and looked like he was ready for retirement with less than 500kms on it, maybe he was one of the guys you know.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ya your right, I bought my sidewinder off a guy who had trouble getting out of his truck and looked like he was ready for retirement with less than 500kms on it, maybe he was one of the guys you know.
Not that I know of. The guys that I know were good riders and loved the trees. IMHO, they just got caught up in all the hype and found the Winder wasn't the sled for them. It takes a special person to honestly like the Winder (actually, any Yamaha) in the trees.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. The guys that I know were good riders and loved the trees. IMHO, they just got caught up in all the hype and found the Winder wasn't the sled for them. It takes a special person to honestly like the Winder (actually, any Yamaha) in the trees.

Haha for sure they aren't for everyone, they are heavy pigs. I thought yamaha did a great job with the winder as far as making it feel lighter while riding (still heavy when your stuck) but I guess not too many other people thought the same as it looks like the 4 strokes a dying breed in the mountain sled segment with no mtx for 2021.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my M7 I looked at reviews, (https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50659) posted on Snowest),, someone there said, "why are they picking on Skidoo and Polaris, the reply, "all brands were asked for reviews", Cat engines were less prone to failure back then, my question is are there any, besides Yamaha that will run 5000 miles without needing engine work? Drive train? My Cat needed Diamond drive oil change every 500 miles, nuisance!!!!! How are the suspensions holding up? To me there isn't enough difference in performance to overlook reliability! And durability?
Probably an unpopular opinion but all the manufacturers have given up some reliability for performance in the latest generation of sleds. CTEC 2 not as reliable as old Zuk 800, Doo 850 not as reliable as Doo 800 etec, Poo 850 not as reliable as Poo 800.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably an unpopular opinion but all the manufacturers have given up some reliability for performance in the latest generation of sleds. CTEC 2 not as reliable as old Zuk 800, Doo 850 not as reliable as Doo 800 etec, Poo 850 not as reliable as Poo 800.
Absolutely true, definitely pushing the limits of an n/a 2 stroke.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have more confidence in my 19 850 Polaris than the 2016 800 I had. Not that I had problems with the 800 only the 850 motor seems more refined.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true, and scary I'm my mind

Top Bottom