New sled RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Reaction score
I counted 4 threads on page 1 relating to polaris owners defending there decision.
Does everyone need a hug??
Just go ride your sleds and put your riding where your mouth is LOL.
Can't we all get along???

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
In the 80s and 90s I could run over a 3" diameter tree and use it for traction. These new light weight sleds are useless if they break instead of the trees. I'm not talented enough to avoid them all. Bumpers should be for bumping stuff. Unfortunately ALL the new flickable sleds are nearly impossible to hammer straight again. So quit bragging about them. Just pick the best dealer cause your gonna need them

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the 80s and 90s I could run over a 3" diameter tree and use it for traction. These new light weight sleds are useless if they break instead of the trees. I'm not talented enough to avoid them all. Bumpers should be for bumping stuff. Unfortunately ALL the new flickable sleds are nearly impossible to hammer straight again. So quit bragging about them. Just pick the best dealer cause your gonna need them

I weighed a 1998 summit x 670 136 yesterday. Came in heavier than my 2012 summit x 163 800. Ill take the weight Loss and fun factor and avoid the direct tree hits.

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
I'll take a new sled over the old ones anyday as well, but bragging about how light a sled is that breaks without even hitting stuff makes no sense to me. I'm glad the XP got a little heavier after 08. I bet the Polaris will next year too. Maxwell you really need to find better things to do than weigh a 1998 sled in 2013. I wonder if in 15 years you'll be able to find any 2013 sleds to weigh.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what cracks me up is how lenient some people are. oh your 15,000$ sled broke on the first ride out? no problem if its down for a month..NOT OKAY if it was my machine.

This all happened nov to beginning of dec. i personally didnt miss any riding. Sum may have if u hit hills.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how about them ACats???whats wrong with them ,nobody is bashing them or liking them.Seems to be a lot of them out there.rhode with a couple guys that had boon docker turbos and they seemed to work pretty good!!Best point on this thread so far is where was Poo in 08!!!?The poo guys keep going back to that..its a week defence !!the XP was not the best sled but it held its own against the competition ...Poo has had motor issues for along time now.how about that 900 they made!!!???YAAAAAUn ...i hope it snows soon!!!

poo had a really good sled other than sum engine troubles in 08.
900 was bit heavy and minor flaws. Mine has never broke down on me and pulls like a freight train!! Love it!

This was a '13 pro thread. Stay on topic please

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to compare a couple of 2013 163,154 doos and a 13 155 pro.Not a fan of doos but they do work good with a slight edge to the 163 in climbing but the 154 was easier to twist off in the meadows with because of the track length!...In my opinion!I preferred the polaris and could make it work better than the doos but I was more comfortable on it since I was polaris up to 09!Everyone can rant and rave but the machines in general are very close in all aspects!I have a 09 m1000 that makes around 200 hp and a 800 does feel underpowered and before I get jumped on I'm a bigger guy so I can throw the machine around and still play in the trees and still out climb new ones even though it has a 153 track.But if your under 200 lbs you'll hate it and as with everything it'll be a pos!As for the new ones they are all close in stock form with the exception of yamaha!But as for light weight I don't think they can go any lighter and still stand behind the machine for reliability!Most guys on here are probably too young to remember the days when guys would build hill climbers and would get under 450lbs and the damn things would break a trailing arm coming off the trailer wrong!I don't mind a little more weight and something other than glue holding my sled together for those days when the tree magnets get turned on!Sooner or later someone finds one!!

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
900 was bit heavy and minor flaws. Mine has never broke down on me and pulls like a freight train!! Love it!

Powder junkie, in your first thread you said the 08 XP was a flop. In the thread above you say the 900 had some minor flaws. I have owned both sleds. I rode Polaris for 20 years. The XP was a very good machine. All the issues it had were covered by warranty. The 900 was the worst machine polaris ever built and they never admitted it. They simply left their customers hang, and stopped making them. Would you say the new pro has some minor flaws as well?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all,

you start this thread, saying just as much about skidoo than Polaris, and even say doo was a flop, and even post this thread in the non-specific snowmobile chat section, ...

Now you don't want to play and want everyone to keep on topic??

I think we are RIGHT on topic....:)

Your sig says a lot too...

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powder junkie, in your first thread you said the 08 XP was a flop. In the thread above you say the 900 had some minor flaws. I have owned both sleds. I rode Polaris for 20 years. The XP was a very good machine. All the issues it had were covered by warranty. The 900 was the worst machine polaris ever built and they never admitted it. They simply left their customers hang, and stopped making them. Would you say the new pro has some minor flaws as well?
From the tone of that last sentence, it seems you think that it has more than minor flaws. The drive shaft was obviously a problem and has been dealt with by installing the clamp. The quick drive belt thing is a minor issue, as it doesn't seem to be consistent across the board. Not everyone is blowing belts or stripping cogs. So, in my opinion it's yet to be determined whether it is just people not following break in period, or it was a bad batch of belts, or a tweak is needed in the belt design. I'm not saying the quick drive system is flawless, it could use some tweaking, with perhaps a tensioner at least. There are a lot of people out there enjoying their's to say it's more than some minor issues.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the tone of that last sentence, it seems you think that it has more than minor flaws. The drive shaft was obviously a problem and has been dealt with by installing the clamp. The quick drive belt thing is a minor issue, as it doesn't seem to be consistent across the board. Not everyone is blowing belts or stripping cogs. So, in my opinion it's yet to be determined whether it is just people not following break in period, or it was a bad batch of belts, or a tweak is needed in the belt design. I'm not saying the quick drive system is flawless, it could use some tweaking, with perhaps a tensioner at least. Their are a lot of people out there enjoying theirs to say it's more than some minor issues.

have you heard of any further fixes for the driveshaft? a clamp is still a temporary fix IMO. that would have been like if doo said in 2008 take yer new sled down to your local welding shop and have them give it the fix up special. couple tack welds here and there should do!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you heard of any further fixes for the driveshaft? a clamp is still a temporary fix IMO. that would have been like if doo said in 2008 take yer new sled down to your local welding shop and have them give it the fix up special. couple tack welds here and there should do!
I completely agree with you, it is a temporary fix, but at least people are back out and riding on them. Yes, some people missed some time riding and that does suck, but there were clamps out there for them in early December, possibly earlier. I don't know what Polaris is doing down there in Minni, but I hope they have somebody working on something as a permanent fix. I would imagine they will replace the shafts with a more robust one, whether that is the 2012 shaft or a new one. But they need to make sure they have enough of them to go around to every 2013 Pro.

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
From the tone of that last sentence, it seems you think that it has more than minor flaws. The drive shaft was obviously a problem and has been dealt with by installing the clamp. The quick drive belt thing is a minor issue, as it doesn't seem to be consistent across the board. Not everyone is blowing belts or stripping cogs. So, in my opinion it's yet to be determined whether it is just people not following break in period, or it was a bad batch of belts, or a tweak is needed in the belt design. I'm not saying the quick drive system is flawless, it could use some tweaking, with perhaps a tensioner at least. Their are a lot of people out there enjoying theirs to say it's more than some minor issues.

i have no idea how good or bad the new pro is. I don't have one. I also have not bashed it. Time will tell. My point is if someone tells me the 13's are a good sled, and then also says the 900 was a good sled and the 08 had a good motor, well they lose all credibility.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 05 and 08 Polaris, and currently own a '13 pro. These three sleds have cost me more riding days, rentals and tows than I can shake a stick at, pass the doolaide my way.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all,

you start this thread, saying just as much about skidoo than Polaris, and even say doo was a flop, and even post this thread in the non-specific snowmobile chat section, ...

Now you don't want to play and want everyone to keep on topic??

I think we are RIGHT on topic....:)

Your sig says a lot too...

judging sumone off their sig?? Lol really? R we 20 yrs old again lol
its a Pro rmk thread ppl. I only brought up the xp as an example of how close doo was. I like doo too but love pro. Its middle of season and pros r running strong with zero issues! Got ne other new pro flaws that r failing??? Haha didnt think so. Its snown out, lets ride instead of startn another doo vs poo battle

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
judging sumone off their sig?? Lol really? R we 20 yrs old again lol
its a Pro rmk thread ppl. I only brought up the xp as an example of how close doo was. I like doo too but love pro. Its middle of season and pros r running strong with zero issues! Got ne other new pro flaws that r failing??? Haha didnt think so. Its snown out, lets ride instead of startn another doo vs poo battle
if it was a pro rmk thread then you should have started it in the pro ride section. it's a free for all in here....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When has a thread being in the Pro-Ride forum ever stopped it from being a free for all? :)
lol...excellent point, but I definitely feel more comfortable calling the pro a drive shaft blowing drive belt eating tick tock hamster wheel powered POS here...:D

Reactions: LBZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom