New rider looking for someone local to take him out and show him the ropes

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
hey everyone

I am from Great old surrey :nono: lol I just got a 2004 RMK 800 with a 159' track looking for someone or a group who would be so kinda to bring a rookie sledder out with them looking to get out this weekend .. SledHead

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everyone

I am from Great old surrey :nono: lol I just got a 2004 RMK 800 with a 159' track looking for someone or a group who would be so kinda to bring a rookie sledder out with them looking to get out this weekend .. SledHead

My reservations would be to take you out with an old sled like that. I bet you wont get many replys because of its age and not because of your ability. Dont take is personally its just that it is a long way in and a long way out. Towing sucks.

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
yeah towing would suck But the sleds got a New Motor in it .. Came right out of a crate and only three tanks of fuel threw it. I am good at pulling wrenches so I would not stress unless I did break something big lol and its all good I would ride by myself with my new old sled...SledHead

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My reservations would be to take you out with an old sled like that. I bet you wont get many replys because of its age and not because of your ability. Dont take is personally its just that it is a long way in and a long way out. Towing sucks.

I would disagree totally.....the age of a machine is only one factor and I find it rather rude that without asking the miles or condition of the sled and what type of riding the newbie wants to try out, that you would make a comment like that.

Why not ask what other experiences does he have....

What does he know about the condition of the sled.

And what kind of other riding or back country experience does he have.

Is he equipped with the basic’s shovel, probe and beacon and more importantly does he know how to use them.

Is he willingto spend a couple hours locally practicing using his beacon?

Has he taken an avy course?

Encouragement and direction in a positive way goes a long way in getting a newbie headed the right direction.....

Wish he was closer....he could ride with us....

PS we still have a 1997 670X, I wouldn’t hesitate to ride it anywhere.....(you just have to be in good shape to get it to keep up with the higher hp longer track machines, kind like when we ride our stock stuff with the boasted guys, well the ones that know how to ride them)

Our last trip out seen lots of new sh$t broken down and some older still running....

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm from Surrey!!!! Great place to be from.
hey everyone

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people with older sleds that I won't ride with. Have had many older and newer ones break down due to a lack of proper maintenance and repairs. Have had many rides ruined because of it. No spare belts or plugs, running out of oil, etc, etc. I learned to choose my riding partners more carefully.

I would disagree totally.....the age of a machine is only one factor and I find it rather rude that without asking the miles or condition of the sled and what type of riding the newbie wants to try out, that you would make a comment like that.

Is he equipped with the basic’s shovel, probe and beacon and more importantly does he know how to use them.

Encouragement and direction in a positive way goes a long way in getting a newbie headed the right direction.....

PS we still have a 1997 670X, I wouldn’t hesitate to ride it anywhere.....(you just have to be in good shape to get it to keep up with the higher hp longer track machines, kind like when we ride our stock stuff with the boasted guys, well the ones that know how to ride them)

Our last trip out seen lots of new sh$t broken down and some older still running....

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with you 100%...my buddy had an '04 800 RMK with an Indy Dan bottom end in it!! I would hazard to guess that it is way more reliable than most new sleds!!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

uhhh my sled's an '04 and has towed out lots of sleds. Including a 2013 Arctic Cat THIS year. So if I ride with you this season and you need a tow should I remind you of this thread?! lmao :p

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be rude, just expect 2000 kms/year on that sled like we do and that would put it at a gizillion for a mountain sled. At least I answered with a ligit concern and it took my answer to get you guys to pipe in and even consider it. Now that said, you said you were from Surrey, where are you living now? kinda sounds like you moved to a new place?

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Thanks Riverjet and Iron hourse racing My sleds in Great shape Brand new crate motor and Its Mecanicaly sound went over it with a fine tooth comb .. my step dad grew me up around hill climbing I grew up dirtbiking and quading . I have a shovel and I am looking for some other safety gear also . I dont want to ride crazy stuff I just want to go and ride a nice ride and have a good day outside on my sled thats it ..

maxpower

Reaction score

Wow. Nice to see someone shut down a newbie in the sport because his sled is an 04. Really?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be rude, just expect 2000 kms/year on that sled like we do and that would put it at a gizillion for a mountain sled. At least I answered with a ligit concern and it took my answer to get you guys to pipe in and even consider it. Now that said, you said you were from Surrey, where are you living now? kinda sounds like you moved to a new place?

Holy Hella...Justification appears to be the answer to your equation!! I just finished reading another post of yours talking about your son being caught in a slide in Hospital Creek, and the fact that he was lucky enough to be flushed to the surface. You'd think, of all people, that you would be more concerned with someone's safety training and abilities than the year of their sled??? WTF???

Last edited:

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Yeah Really and my sled looks NEW show room condition and Brand New Motor lol and lets say its my First Sled after a year of being off work from knee surgery and it was what the familly could afford for right now lol

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Really and my sled looks NEW show room condition and Brand New Motor lol and lets say its my First Sled after a year of being off work from knee surgery and it was what the familly could afford for right now lol

Good on ya!! When you hook up with anyone...just be sure to let them know your experience and what gear you have, so they are also aware of what to expect. Get yourself the proper avalanche gear and learn how to use it prior to heading out. Check this out as well...there may be an event planned in your area:

International Take a Newbie Shredding Day | Facebook

We will be helping with the Golden event...a chance for us to give back to the sport and help people, like you, that are new to the sport!!

Enjoy!!

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth-Air has clarified that he didn't mean any offence by it so the lynch mob can stand down haha.

I have a buddy who's been going to the west country since he was a young teen and he's still taking his '04 RMK out there (too stubborn to make the transition to a newer model he says) so I'm sure there's still fun to be had out there for guys like you and I (I'm planning on heading out into the mountains for my first time this winter was well SledHead, with my new-to-me '04 REV :) )

Polaris2012

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the old sleds. I go everywhere on my 03 that the other guys on newer sleds go, i do fell sorta out of place on a zx surrounded by new sleds though. If you were down here Id take you out with our crew. For sure don't go out into the mountains by yourself, especially if you plan on getting off the trail.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least with an older carb'd sled you can work on it in the woods if it is not running and have a hope of fixing it.

With the new sleds all you can do is stare at the computer as you tie on the rope.......

Hopefully someone will ride with the guy and show him what it is all about. I would take you out but I am far away.

Good Luck!

GT500john

Reaction score
We will be in revy on Sunday till Thursday if that's were your looking to ride, be glad to take another person and have some fun. Taking my son who has only been out 3 times and is doing awesome. PM me if this works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Calgary and take new to area bees out all the time we try to go every other weekend and have all skill levels in our group plus factory mechanics so break downs are not slow downs just slight inconviences we go every where from mild and tame to wild and crazy it's up to you we don't judge just ride and take the good with the bad watch out for Rowdy though she can ride and has no fear Lol but she does have supreme judgement and common sense out the yang ying will sent you a pm with our next ride might be this week end if a few recalls get done by Dr.Phil

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you for asking for more experienced peeps to take you out and show you the ropes! It is, after all International Take a Newbie Shredding Day on February 23....you might want to check that out to see if there is one happening close to you.

The age of your sled shouldn't have much of a factor if it's well maintained. I think like others have stated, it should be more relevant if you have the avy equipment, and avy training before you head out. That should be first and foremost.

Yes towing out sucks.....but you know, that can happen to any sled, whether it's 10 years old or brand new. It's just the risks of this sport, and we've all experienced it sometime unfortunately.

I really hope you find a good group to hook up with. Sounds like you are gung-ho and that's awesome! Safe shredding! :eek:

Top Bottom