Back country etiquette

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got that right new sleds quit, try it when two new sleds quit , the third is running like **** and the forth as 8000k on it. And your 80k back

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We came upon a guy once. We were just leaving our staging area and this guy was alone, about to head out. I asked him if he was riding with anyone, and he said no. Now, he was on the rougher side appearance wise, not really prepared for the back country. Not even kidding, he was wearing a slednecks hoodie. Not a jacket, but a hoodie. I insisted that he ride with us. About 20 K back his sled shut down. We were the only people that were out in that area. By the time we towed him to his vehicle it was dark out. Now he could have ended up a statistic. Broken down that far back, no safety essentials and clothing that was not warm at all.
I lectured him like a mom would and I hoped he learned a lesson.
Another time there was a group leader who took a few newbies back on an organized ride. The newbies were very very new and became frightened when they were dropped down into an area. The decent was terrifying for them, and the thought of riding it out wasn't even in their comprehension. The group leader had a hissy fit and said. "I'm not here to babysit", and took off to ride with the more experienced riders. My husband and I stayed with them. I had to ride one of their sleds out of a bowl, while my husband doubled the rider up to the top and took me back down to get my sled, the we got them out to the staging area.

The first gentleman, simply didn't know, what he didn't know, and we see that quite often with our sport. The second individual was a seasoned rider, and in my opinion was just an arsehole. Wanted to hang with the cool people and abandoned the group they were leading.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's ignorant. Ride to the abilities of the weakest member or split the group up accordingly sending an experienced person or two with the weaker ones.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He asked what kind and I meant the guy was a huge one. Your example also fits though.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember my first trip to the mountains and the friends that took me there, easy ride first day with a lot of stucks and a lot of coaching and advice on how to... do it better, I appreciated that and my love for mountain riding was realized... I usually take newbies out its part of the fun to see there expression and awe of the beauty and snow pack.... and shear mass of mother nature.... I always say we were all newbies once and our initial experience determines our future desire to go back... and hopefully share it ...

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We came upon a guy once. We were just leaving our staging area and this guy was alone, about to head out. I asked him if he was riding with anyone, and he said no. Now, he was on the rougher side appearance wise, not really prepared for the back country. Not even kidding, he was wearing a slednecks hoodie. Not a jacket, but a hoodie. I insisted that he ride with us. About 20 K back his sled shut down. We were the only people that were out in that area. By the time we towed him to his vehicle it was dark out. Now he could have ended up a statistic. Broken down that far back, no safety essentials and clothing that was not warm at all.
I lectured him like a mom would and I hoped he learned a lesson.
Another time there was a group leader who took a few newbies back on an organized ride. The newbies were very very new and became frightened when they were dropped down into an area. The decent was terrifying for them, and the thought of riding it out wasn't even in their comprehension. The group leader had a hissy fit and said. "I'm not here to babysit", and took off to ride with the more experienced riders. My husband and I stayed with them. I had to ride one of their sleds out of a bowl, while my husband doubled the rider up to the top and took me back down to get my sled, the we got them out to the staging area.

The first gentleman, simply didn't know, what he didn't know, and we see that quite often with our sport. The second individual was a seasoned rider, and in my opinion was just an arsehole. Wanted to hang with the cool people and abandoned the group they were leading.
You and your husband are obviously good people. Some people out there dont seem approachable to us uncool people. I have actually had more experienced riders get us stuck and then take off. They came back at dark to see how we were doing. They thought this was funny and then were pissed we were not there and had gone back to the trucks and gave us a lecture. Never rode with those clowns again.

Last edited:

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You and your husband are obviously good people. Some people out there dont seem approachable to us uncool people. I have actually had more experienced riders get us stuck and then take off. They came back at dark to see how we were doing. They thought this was funny and then were pissed we were not there and had gone back to the trucks and gave us a lecture. Never rode with those clowns again.
thats just a total asshat move for sure.
But, one thing I have learned when asking to join a group is
1, look at their sleds, ie all 174 turbos or T3's etc and your not that good of a rider, don't ask
2, be honest with your abilities and tell them.

If there out for a shred hard day and your only novice or even intermediate, don't be offended if they don't want you to tag along.

I am a good rider, but I take more caution and "wimp" out of things when I am unsure of the area. Whats 300m behind those trees, wheres the cliffs etc.
But I have been to boulder the last 3 days in a row leavng lot by myself, and finding a group to ride the day with at the cabin.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1, look at their sleds, ie all 174 turbos or T3's etc and your not that good of a rider, don't ask

If there out for a shred hard day and your only novice or even intermediate, don't be offended if they don't want you to tag along.

I am a good rider, but I take more caution and "wimp" out of things when I am unsure of the area. Whats 300m behind those trees, wheres the cliffs etc.
But I have been to boulder the last 3 days in a row leavng lot by myself, and finding a group to ride the day with at the cabin.
These guys are people we work with and have been friends with for a long time. They invited us along. It was -35. We waited tell they got to trucks said our peace and that was that. That was my introduction to sledding.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we even make sure that our trucks get out together at the end of the day. Some of the roads to and from the staging areas are a nightmare to drive on.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I feel the same way when it comes to being cautious. I prefer areas I know better and am familiar with. I'm not the guy that drops down into an area if I've never been and I like to know if there is an easy way out. Dropping into a bowl to spend hours to get out is not my idea of fun.
I don't have a problem letting the guys know if I'm uncomfortable and depending on size of group there is usually 1 or 2 that feel the same way. I have no issue staying with the guys that are uneasy as well.
We all enjoy sledding for our own reasons whether it be hill climbing, tree riding, meadows, trail riding or whatever. We should all help eachother enjoy this sport.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I often will Caution out of something. If I'm not feeling it, or if I feel there could be a potential for undue risk. I have four kids, and every decision I make out there is with them in my mind. They are like my compass. This has served me well over the years, and quite possibly saved my life when I cautioned out of a ride which ended up having a fatality. I wasn't feeling it, knew the avalanche conditions were extreme, opted out of the ride because I wasn't sure about the group dynamics of the people I'd be with. I would have been with all new people and without my husband who is my bff and most trusted riding companion.
My husband and I went out for supper last night and had a huge discussion about group dynamics and who we choose to ride with. What characteristics we look for in riding companions, and what personality traits we would opt to stay away from in technical terrain.
We both agreed that we have some work to do with outreach and mentorship to help create riders with more awareness, education and preparedness. The time to do that type of outreach isn't on a ballz to the wall ride, it would be in a more controlled environment. Dealers are in a good position as they are quite often the first point of contact for brand new riders. Sled clubs are awesome for that type of outreach too. Keeping the dialogue rolling about safety, etiquette and preparedness so at some point a lightbulb moment goes on in a person's mind so they understand. The more we talk, the more people learn. I love all the messages ISMA is sending out right now. Posters with meaningful messages which invite conversation. The BCSF's #ridetogetherstaytogether motto you see popping up everywhere is a powerful message again inviting dialogue.
The individual who abandoned the newbie riders organized the group ride didn't take into account the skill set of the entire group, then ditched the new riders when an opportunity for adventure and schmoozing appeared. If you are organizing a ride, or leading a group you have a sense of responsibility for the entire group.

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I feel the same way when it comes to being cautious. I prefer areas I know better and am familiar with. I'm not the guy that drops down into an area if I've never been and I like to know if there is an easy way out. Dropping into a bowl to spend hours to get out is not my idea of fun.
I don't have a problem letting the guys know if I'm uncomfortable and depending on size of group there is usually 1 or 2 that feel the same way. I have no issue staying with the guys that are uneasy as well.
We all enjoy sledding for our own reasons whether it be hill climbing, tree riding, meadows, trail riding or whatever. We should all help eachother enjoy this sport.

That there is the key, know your abilities and accept fear as a warning. Tell your buddies and all will be good.

Let it Snow....Let it Snow......Let it Snow

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread. I think this helps people talk about what is happening out there and gives people the ability to be more aware. You are always going to have those people that just don't care about others but I believe our sledding community is genuinely full of fantastic people. Some people just need the reminder.

5 years ago we went with our normal group to a new to us area in Blue River. I was last in the line of 6 and my motor grenades. Beautiful blue bird pow day. Murphy's law. I get my sled to the side of the trail and 1 rider comes back. We hook up my sled to be pulled out this takes a bit , maybe 10 mins and no one else comes back. The other rider says that he will go look for them and I will wait in the sun for them to come back. 45 mins later he comes back and says they hadn't even stopped for 25 miles took him riding pretty hard to catch them. I had a big WTF moment . He had told them that he would tow my sled back to the truck help load it and I would go back to the hotel in Valemount while they rode for the day. Not 1 of them offered to come back and help load up and ride back in with him. He caught up to the group later in the day but rode in on the trail with many Avy run out zones alone. We have never rode with that group again as they didn't see a problem with how that was handled. Many times we have cut our day short because of a break down in the group. No biggie. You go together and you always make sure that everyone makes it back.

Again thank for starting the thread as sometimes it is just about awareness that saves a life.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is a good point. Our group will ALMOST always welcome a tag along and ride to the ability of the least experienced, because we have a variety of experience levels already. But occasionally....usually a bluebird spring day, and only two or three of us, with a particular destination in mind that we've been waiting all winter for....we'll probably say no.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You go together and you always make sure that everyone makes it back.

That is the key point right there. We go up the mountain together and we come down together. If that means the day is cut short because of an issue someone is having so be it. Plenty of days ahead.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. Our group will ALMOST always welcome a tag along and ride to the ability of the least experienced, because we have a variety of experience levels already. But occasionally....usually a bluebird spring day, and only two or three of us, with a particular destination in mind that we've been waiting all winter for....we'll probably say no.

I think this is something that novice, intermediate and less aggressive riders need to remember as well. Just because some may say no to you tagging along it doesn't mean they a bad bunch of people. It could mean they are actually looking out for your safety. Last thing anyone wants is to end up in a bad situation. Some newer riders should always remember never lie about your skill level. Be honest if you are looking to tag along with a group. It could be the difference between having one of the best days ever or worst.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because some may say no to you tagging along it doesn't mean they a bad bunch of people. It could mean they are actually looking out for your safety.

Don't get me wrong. When we do it it's because we're being selfish. I'm OK with that though. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom