Back country etiquette

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread on this already...if so...sorry!
i just wanted to touch on a few things in light of the tragedy last week in Revy.
This weekend I was with some friends riding in McBride in Bell and had to go back to the parking lot. The gang said they'd wait...so off I went. Well...I got a little right of the cabin into the trees and my sled crapped out. After about twenty minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong a fella noticed me in the trees and came over to see what was up.
I explained I wasn't sure and seemed like sled felt seized and was extremely hard to pull. Rather than ask to get help from anyone..he said "hope you get it going" and took off!
I finally got it going (spider in primary was cracked) and nursed my way down to the parking lot. It could easily gone the other way...system comes in...tracks get covered and a guy get disoriented. I'm not saying this happened to Travis...but if you see someone in distress on the mountain...don't assume he or she will work it out on there own.
Another thing I've noticed...once in a while people get separated from there groups and that's normal. But if that guy or gal comes up to you...don't look at him like he's the "grim reaper" or has the plague. Maybe greet him like a friend and tell him to tag along with your group till he can local the one he was separated from.
I'm not say all groups up there have attitude...but some of these guys act like they're in some exclusive group that allows no outsiders.
We're all up there to have fun regardless of your riding abilities or the type of sled you ride!
These days there seems to be a lot of new riders on the mountain riding high tech machines assuming they'll be able to ride like a pro. It doesn't take much for a guy to get into trouble and struggle to find a way out. I always watch for those guys and try my best to go offer help or advise if needed. A few works of encouragement and a few tips can go a long ways to an inexperienced rider...we were all there at some time in our lives.
This post isn't meant to insult anyone and if it does...I apologize!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Great post! Everyone should help one another and no one should leave a group on their own unless they have an inReach and so does someone in the group so they can ensure they made it down okay by texting back and forth or radios, that will work the entire way down or of course riding out with a buddy!

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread on this already...if so...sorry!
i just wanted to touch on a few things in light of the tragedy last week in Revy.
This weekend I was with some friends riding in McBride in Bell and had to go back to the parking lot. The gang said they'd wait...so off I went. Well...I got a little right of the cabin into the trees and my sled crapped out. After about twenty minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong a fella noticed me in the trees and came over to see what was up.
I explained I wasn't sure and seemed like sled felt seized and was extremely hard to pull. Rather than ask to get help from anyone..he said "hope you get it going" and took off!
I finally got it going (spider in primary was cracked) and nursed my way down to the parking lot. It could easily gone the other way...system comes in...tracks get covered and a guy get disoriented. I'm not saying this happened to Travis...but if you see someone in distress on the mountain...don't assume he or she will work it out on there own.
Another thing I've noticed...once in a while people get separated from there groups and that's normal. But if that guy or gal comes up to you...don't look at him like he's the "grim reaper" or has the plague. Maybe greet him like a friend and tell him to tag along with your group till he can local the one he was separated from.
I'm not say all groups up there have attitude...but some of these guys act like they're in some exclusive group that allows no outsiders.
We're all up there to have fun regardless of your riding abilities or the type of sled you ride!
These days there seems to be a lot of new riders on the mountain riding high tech machines assuming they'll be able to ride like a pro. It doesn't take much for a guy to get into trouble and struggle to find a way out. I always watch for those guys and try my best to go offer help or advise if needed. A few works of encouragement and a few tips can go a long ways to an inexperienced rider...we were all there at some time in our lives.
This post isn't meant to insult anyone and if it does...I apologize!

If I was ever lost/separated from my group and saw another group..... they'd be hard-pressed to stop me from following them, if I was fearing for my own safety. I'd rather apologize later if needed, than not be able to.

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was ever lost/separated from my group and saw another group..... they'd be hard-pressed to stop me from following them, if I was fearing for my own safety. I'd rather apologize later if needed, than not be able to.
I'm just say...you shouldn't have to apologize!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We would never leave an area for another without everyone being together. And everyone in the groups knows that. We would find them even if they where stuck in a creek down tim buck two hole. When it is a white out we get the guy with the loudest pipe to keep buzzing a hill till the lost guy zeros in on the noise. Not a chance we would ever leave!!.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is basic human responsibility, not etiquette. Even on the trail, I'll stop if I see another rider parked to ensure they are ok, and have no problem helping a complete stranger dig out a stuck sled, etc. I often ride in a small group (2 riders), and you never leave your "wing man", and don't lose sight of them, either. Things happen out there, and happen fast. Seconds can mean the difference between life or death. Sometimes a lone rider won't ask to tag along due to pride or decline an invitation, but one can make the decision to keep an eye on them as they may not be aware of the hazards that exist, and offer assistance if necessary... ensure those you ride with feel the same way, and leave no man (or woman) behind.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post all. I think this is really important. Sledders need to look out for each other regardless of whether it is convenient or not. No one wants to camp out up there.

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We would never leave an area for another without everyone being together. And everyone in the groups knows that. We would find them even if they where stuck in a creek down tim buck two hole. When it is a white out we get the guy with the loudest pipe to keep buzzing a hill till the lost guy zeros in on the noise. Not a chance we would ever leave!!.
That goes without saying...I'm talking about the stranger that got separated from his herd! This weekend in the Renshaw I had a few guys approach me to ask if I'd seen their buddies and sadly that guy was usually the less experienced one and fell behind a bit. That's the guy you have either join your group or help him get back together with his group. At the very least...maybe guide them back to the cabin ( if there is one) and at least you know they're safe.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That goes without saying...I'm talking about the stranger that got separated from his herd! This weekend in the Renshaw I had a few guys approach me to ask if I'd seen their buddies and sadly that guy was usually the less experienced one and fell behind a bit. That's the guy you have either join your group or help him get back together with his group. At the very least...maybe guide them back to the cabin ( if there is one) and at least you know they're safe.
When riding in a group, always have an experienced rider "sweeping" the rear for stragglers. This should be planned long before the trip and adhered to. And don't assume because someone is at the cabin that they are safe. Plan your trips well in advance - everyone is responsible for the newbies. If your group doesn't want to babysit a new rider (some don't), plan a trip with the newbie with someone who wishes to introduce them to the sport, and do it in easier terrain. Focus on the hazards. Far too often we have new riders jumping on an 800cc 162" sled that can go a LOT of places with almost no skillset, because their buddy told him (or her), that that is the machine they need to get around. Poor advice for a new rider IMHO, when what they need is to LEARN how to ride (IE: balance, throttle control, and the skills that will make them safe in the back country).

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riders without experience should be watched like hawks and not allowed to be out of site from anyone at anytime or they have to sit and wait at a open area, if there is any. Two seconds of riding the trees and your out of site. If we ever did come across a straggler which we never see anyone we would take them back to their last known position where they got separated. Where we would wait till dark and then take them back to the parking lot.

Last edited:

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree...groups no matter how small or large should stick together. I made the colossal mistake of going down alone assuming everything would be 100% and never once thought my primary clutch would bind up!
The point I'm getting at is...if you spot someone alone in distress or not...take a minute and help out. Insist if you have too...some guys are too proud to ask or maybe embarrassed. I would never leave someone just because they said there friends will come by sooner or later. And as far as taking someone to the cabin...at least if you run into his people...you'll know where to send them.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree...groups no matter how small or large should stick together. I made the colossal mistake of going down alone assuming everything would be 100% and never once thought my primary clutch would bind up!
The point I'm getting at is...if you spot someone alone in distress or not...take a minute and help out. Insist if you have too...some guys are too proud to ask or maybe embarrassed. I would never leave someone just because they said there friends will come by sooner or later. And as far as taking someone to the cabin...at least if you run into his people...you'll know where to send them.
I am glad to see you acknowledge your error. We never let anyone go back alone, just for that reason, you never know when something will go wrong even on a brand new sled.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a friend tell a story almost exactly like this on Saturday. A few years ago riding off Boulder and took the wrong trail out. Told the rest of his group not to follow him because it was pretty bad.
Ended up stuck in a creek after being stuck multiple times before that. While he was in the creek another rider came up to him, called him a rookie and rode off.
Nothing and no one says you have to help others but these situation can become serious quickly. We ride sleds in the mountains. No one is in that much of a hurry or being timed.
In our group if someone wants to take the easy trail out, someone else goes with. I had to ride back to my truck once after I realized I left it unlocked. We were still on the trail but someone rode back with me just in case. You just never know what could happen.
We've come across people that obviously didn't know the area. Asked them if they wanted to ride with our group. Easy enough and usually more entertainment. :)
Try not to be the guy that rides for 10 or 15 minutes without seeing someone else in your group.

Top Bottom