new quads

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you know all the problems have been worked out with this NEW design? It`s only been out a few months and has not seen the mud season here yet! They might of fixed the old problems but how many new ones did they create . Does that look like an easy belt change on the 850 ?The Grizzly is the least powerfull of the big bores,which helps the reliability factor alot. This is the HEAVIEST of the 4/4 quads with the most power, that will decrease reliability trust me .They are having issues with the belts on these allready. Like any first year quad their will be issues i am sure.They are a huge improvement ,that does not make them proven yet imo. As far as a canam killer, if you are referring to speed you are misstaken as the 800r outlander IS faster as documented on video on Highlifter.The renegade is a far faster bike period. I own a polaris RZR that i like quite a bit so as you can see i am not brand loyal, just call it the way i see it. The rzr is great but the plastic roller cage in the diff is a problem,if the 850 xp has the same setup (plastic) it won`t be quite as SUPERIOR as you claim ,trust me. At 800 lbs and 70 HP things will break!This is just my thoughts based on my findings.....

Well believe me i have NEVER thought of polaris as a good machine becuase of all the problems in the past. You are right me or anyone else doesn't know for sure if the XP is LONG term reliable. However you are also wrong they have been out since Oct. '08 (not a few months) & i have been in contact with many owners here in Canada and in the U.S. . Most of these units have between 1500km and up to 2500km on them already with ZERO problems, that is something. I have owned a 2006 Honda, 2007 800 Can-Am,2008 750 Brute & i have had problems with every one of them...the Can-Am was the worst by far for breakdowns etc. The Honda & the Brute are good but some minor troubles. So if these new units can get up to the 2000km range with no problems at all, i would be inclined to say maybe they are evry bit as good or possibly better than the other brands. I have been told the belt change on the new 850 is faster & easier than all previous models. The heaviest & most powerful yes maybe and yes that may lead to problems (is that why the Can-Am is so problematic??).
Sorry i did not clarify the Can-Am killer statement i did not mention the 800R or the Renagade, just the 800 Outty. My 800 Outty would do about 70 MPH the 850 80-85 MPH & both get to top speed and about the same rate. Some of this info is things i have heard and can't confirm until i pick mine up & break it in.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are these problems you guys are talking about on the older polaris quads.I have owned A 96 400 4x4,A 97 500 Explorer, A 2000 sportsman 500, And now a 06 800 Sportsman and have had little or no problems with any of them.Just asking.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are these problems you guys are talking about on the older polaris quads.I have owned A 96 400 4x4,A 97 500 Explorer, A 2000 sportsman 500, And now a 06 800 Sportsman and have had little or no problems with any of them.Just asking.

I'm not sure of the specific problems, cause i've never had a Polaris yet (picking up my new 850 XP LE soon). I have just heard alot of people talk about them having alot of trouble. On the newer ones i have seen charging problems & the throttle assembly loosen up and make them undrivable. Mostly it has just been others talking about all the "problems" that has always made me buy other brands.
Just like every brand some are lemons from day one, like my 800 Can-Am turned out to be, not saying they are all like that. Many folks get great service out of all different brands without even doing proper maintance, many times it's the luck of the draw. I hope i didn't seem to be bashing any peticular brand, i wasn't trying for that.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the specific problems, cause i've never had a Polaris yet (picking up my new 850 XP LE soon). I have just heard alot of people talk about them having alot of trouble. On the newer ones i have seen charging problems & the throttle assembly loosen up and make them undrivable. Mostly it has just been others talking about all the "problems" that has always made me buy other brands.
Just like every brand some are lemons from day one, like my 800 Can-Am turned out to be, not saying they are all like that. Many folks get great service out of all different brands without even doing proper maintance, many times it's the luck of the draw. I hope i didn't seem to be bashing any peticular brand, i wasn't trying for that.

Ya I was just asking because honestly I have not hear or read anything bad about a Polaris by someone who has one.Granted every bike has it's pros and cons and do not get me wrong I have had to repair stuff but only little things like boots and u-joints and that is because I use them hard.But as of today I have never had to be pulled home or back to the truck I just hope my 06 is as reliable as the older ones.I have looked at that new 850 and it is awsome the higher mounted radiator and the power steering along with all that power and Polaris locking 4x4 it is going to be a great machine.:d And the only reason you will have yo look back after puchasing that new 850 is to see everybody else:d:d:specool::perfect10:

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I was just asking because honestly I have not hear or read anything bad about a Polaris by someone who has one.Granted every bike has it's pros and cons and do not get me wrong I have had to repair stuff but only little things like boots and u-joints and that is because I use them hard.But as of today I have never had to be pulled home or back to the truck I just hope my 06 is as reliable as the older ones.I have looked at that new 850 and it is awsome the higher mounted radiator and the power steering along with all that power and Polaris locking 4x4 it is going to be a great machine.:d And the only reason you will have yo look back after puchasing that new 850 is to see everybody else:d:d:specool::perfect10:

Being an owner of two 08` Sportsmans both with over 1000 miles on them, the only problems I ever had was on my 800. An injector unseated itself and sprayed high pressure fuel over my hot engine as I`m going full out down a road. I did manage to get it home and the dealer looked after that problem the next day. As far as my 500 goes, not a single problem at all !!! It has never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it... Two guys that I ride with who have 800 and a 500 Outty`s both have problems with the front diff. not working, Elec. gremlins that come and go and the 800 keeps bending tie rods... However, both Can-ams will out run the Popo`s on the top end...

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey redrum see you are in Martensville me to we will have to get together this spring for a rip.And I am also trying to get some pople together April 5th for a neisbit ride.you interested?:d

doobest

Reaction score
I did some quading with the boys on grizzles and outlanders they are all having truble with overheating. can am are also breaking axles. I had a 05 650 bruteforce with over 3000km with no problems at all. I just bought a 88 750 brute because of the price. Hope I have just as good luck with it.

mudhunter

Reaction score
On saturday I went to pick up my buddies 07 grizz 700 efi with power steering from coopersrv in nisku (where I bought my 06 660 this summer) it had 100 hours on it and it came in under 8500 with mudlite xtr's..
Thats if youre not against going with something gently used... Besides an oilchange and replacing the stock rubber with mudlights thats all I've done to it besides add gas to it since july... he's got a great website and the prices seem realistic to me... fyi
Mudhunter

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On saturday I went to pick up my buddies 07 grizz 700 efi with power steering from coopersrv in nisku (where I bought my 06 660 this summer) it had 100 hours on it and it came in under 8500 with mudlite xtr's..
Thats if youre not against going with something gently used... Besides an oilchange and replacing the stock rubber with mudlights thats all I've done to it besides add gas to it since july... he's got a great website and the prices seem realistic to me... fyi
Mudhunter

You can get them cheaper at Coopers because he imports them from the states. I was looking into a grizzly 450 from him but after checking it out it needed alot of work and he wouldn't budge from top dollar.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey redrum see you are in Martensville me to we will have to get together this spring for a rip.And I am also trying to get some pople together April 5th for a neisbit ride.you interested?:d

Ya!!! I would be all over that.... PM me and let me know what your planning. I have a few other guys that like to tag along too.

Top Bottom