New project SW

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats all done to yours? A gen 4 165” turbo is about 570 rtr I seen. Thats a very impressive number considering I know what those 3” 174 camo extreme tracks weigh to.
The sled is not a Yammy anymore, I have been building since the 90's so not like alot of other shops doing RE&RE of components, I build a lot of my own.
Some of the tricks I have done on this involves the cooling system, drive axle, exhaust system, seat, it looks OE but it's not. The list goes on.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a very expensive diet that sled was put on. The weight loss is great but,Let’s not forget, you are comparing a highly modified sled weight to Polaris and Ski-Doo stock weights. What happens when they go on a similar diet? Gotta love riding a lighter sled though.. good job.
That is correct Ken, but the new sleds have little left to modify when it come to weight without exotic materials. OE companies will stay competitive with each other but a factor in their development is sales.
It can be easy to price out of the market no matter how good it is, at the end of the day sales is what counts.
I have never seen 100lbs takin off one of todays sleds.
BTW, I have weighed an 800 engine Etech and a 1049 yammy(Nytro) motor, no clutches, just motors a few years back.
They stand about 40lbs difference. Any other weight difference is in the chassi, that can be changed.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you getting it down to 578? What have you done besides the obvious things like belt drive/battery/hood/exhaust? Still looks like you have the stock seat and rear skid besides ice age rails, I’m down to 602 rtr and have really nothing left to do besides starting to custom fab parts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled is not a Yammy anymore, I have been building since the 90's so not like alot of other shops doing RE&RE of components, I build a lot of my own.
Some of the tricks I have done on this involves the cooling system, drive axle, exhaust system, seat, it looks OE but it's not. The list goes on.
How are you getting it down to 578? What have you done besides the obvious things like belt drive/battery/hood/exhaust? Still looks like you have the stock seat and rear skid besides ice age rails, I’m down to 602 rtr and have really nothing left to do besides starting to custom fab parts.
Read the above post^^^^^^
The project never started as a Yamaha MTX sled, but as a Sidewinder engine and bulkhead.
Started with a trail Sidewinder from Ontario purchased new in the crate. I tore it apart and started from there.
The idea has been to turn it into a sleeper.
To answer your question, yes I used a lot of the common changes used by many.
But also my own changes, I'm not a parts changer but a builder and love building as much as riding.
The seat is not stock though looks stock, 50% lighter, OE seat 10lbs, this is 5.5lbs.
The rear skid arms are a copy of Cats arms but made from Chromoly not mild steel. Stronger and lighter, about 15lbs lighter then OE. I made them, using a older mountain bike frame. LOL
Cast iron exhaust replaced with custom made headers. 5lbs
Custom made heat exchangers, my own design, flows about 2L maybe 3L less coolant, going by memory now as this was nearly 5yrs ago. Cooler design and coolant about 10lbs eliminated, plus no ice build up.
Plus many others, like custom brake rotor, hogged out OE rotor, 50% lighter. Rifle drilled jack shaft, 1.5lbs lighter....LOL
Its an on going project from the original build, 2.0, 3.0 and I think I'm at 4.0. There might even be a 5.0, unless something else catches my interest. LOL
Its a hobby.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently working into moving the engine oil res. from the current RH side to under the engine.
To allow better access to the belt drive and centralizing the weight better also eliminating any ROV being used.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The project never started as a Yamaha MTX sled, but as a Sidewinder engine and bulkhead.
Started with a trail Sidewinder from Ontario purchased new in the crate. I tore it apart and started from there.
But also my own changes, I'm not a parts changer but a builder and love building as much as riding.
The seat is not stock though looks stock, 50% lighter, OE seat 10lbs, this is 5.5lbs.
The rear skid arms are a copy of Cats arms but made from Chromoly not mild steel. Stronger and lighter, about 15lbs lighter then OE. I made them, using a older mountain bike frame. LOL
Custom made heat exchangers, my own design, flows about 2L maybe 3L less coolant, going by memory now as this was nearly 5yrs ago. Cooler design and coolant about 10lbs eliminated, plus no ice build up.
Plus many others, like custom brake rotor, hogged out OE rotor, 50% lighter. Rifle drilled jack shaft, 1.5lbs lighter....LOL
Its an on going project from the original build, 2.0, 3.0 and I think I'm at 4.0. There might even be a 5.0, unless something else catches my interest. LOL
Its a hobby.

I’d be interested to see your rifle drilling technique… do you own a machine shop?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just kidding, though Chad and Shane do alot of my custom work.
I have access to a machine shop through my work and my own.

PS. CR-Racing is just down the road from me.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d be interested to see your rifle drilling technique… do you own a machine shop?
All you need to rifle drill out a jack shaft or axle is a lathe or access to one. The real expensive part is the bit, extra long and special order from machine tooling supplier. Unless you know of a machine shop that may have the proper tooling.
All your doing is cutting out the core but you don't go through. You start at the clutch end and stop about 1/2"-1inch from the spline at gear box end.
I believe RTR in Kamloops(BRP dealer) was doing it in house at one point for any sleds but don't know if they still do. Staff has changed since I worked for BRP.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see bdx makes chromoly rear suspension arms for the viper mtx. Saves 4 lbs. I was actually going to see if chads made any arms. See he has m10 listed.
But the wait loss to me really needs to change me off the front end. To balance things out.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see bdx makes chromoly rear suspension arms for the viper mtx. Saves 4 lbs. I was actually going to see if chads made any arms. See he has m10 listed.
But the wait loss to me really needs to change me off the front end. To balance things out.
I'm not sure if he makes any arms for it.
I made mine up a few years back as a summer fun project. I tig weld so basically copied the OE setup using my current Cat I have.
At the time I assembled the skid using the Classic rails which gave a huge weight savings. I since gone with Bomber rails which are alot heavier. I may go back to my Classics. The Bomber are overkill for what I do now and real heavy.
I bet an easy 5lbs can be eliminated by switching back to the Classic rails.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a hobby.
I just don't see how its 24lbs lighter than mine! I am not saying it isn't as the scale doesn't lie but the few things you mentioned dont seem that significant. Really I'm just mad that mine is still 600lbs, a buddy of mine got his down to the same weigh as yours but lots of custom parts as well. Good work

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally made it out. I have to say the elevate kit and the belt drive are a must for the sidewinder. Damn that thing works. I really felt the elevate kit besides the handling …with higher frontend and maybe the dropped chaincase it doesn’t seem to get stuck as easy when tangled up in the creeks. Very impressive.

IMG_2648.png
IMG_2637.jpeg
IMG_2632.jpeg

Got Juice?

Reaction score
Yes the elevate kit is worth every penny. And regardless of other’s opinions, I found the Hellfire wheels really sharpened up track speed response.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the elevate kit is worth every penny. And regardless of other’s opinions, I found the Hellfire wheels really sharpened up track speed response.
9” wheels? I was planning installing a set this summer.

On another note I must be getting old but the cr resonator pipe is way to loud. lol. Anyone try something quieter?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old is your son? How did he like the MM?
He’s 20 but doesn’t ride much (university). So he struggled a bit ..sled very tippy. I rode it once …dude got stuck deep into a creek and I didn’t want the sw down there. I really liked it. Rips hard …steering was awkward from the sw lay down style. It also felt twitchy and not sure if that’s the elevate or just the steering difference. I’m going to ride it for a day and see.

Last edited:

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still say the best mod I did to my winder was the belt drive, the elevate spindles are great and the upper a-arms as well but if I could have only done one it would have been the belt drive.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally made it out. I have to say the elevate kit and the belt drive are a must for the sidewinder. Damn that thing works. I really felt the elevate kit besides the handling …with higher frontend and maybe the dropped chaincase it doesn’t seem to get stuck as easy when tangled up in the creeks. Very impressive.
Yes I agree, when you ride them back to back from chain to belt and standard to elevate, its very noticeable.
This season snow condition has already cost me both front skis, darted her into a creek bed and blew the rubber stoppers and busted one ski while the other is completely deformed. I appear to be on a roll cause did it again this past weekend but no carnage this time. Tangling in creeks, not fun but man are these tough as fauk sleds.

Top Bottom