New okanagan atv rules.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe i miss understood his post and if i did i apologize to Beer Belch but it appears to me every time BC comes up with some reg. or law (even if it may appear's stupid or a money grab) that NON residence that only want to play here complain on how restrictive BC is.
Maybe BC residence are more concern with their environment and protecting it then other provinces....i'm guessing. Either way if you choose to come to BC to recreation, be respectful and abide by our BC regs. especially when it comes to our environment.
"Meaning" if you choose not to be insured or registered, that is your problem if you get caught by the authorities. But if you choose to ride in NON designated riding areas with your toy and disrespect our environment because you don't like the BC regulation's...then it becomes British Columbian's problem as residence.

I'm thinking there are very few who go into another province with that idea, but there are always those who don't give a dam. I say make the info readily available and easy to find for everyone. bike/sled shops, tourist booths, online, maybe even at forestry offices. till then you get what you get. maybe even inform the locals first. I'm also thinking there is a small minority of alberta atv riders that drive to bc to atv. so I'm also thinking it is more a bc problem.
besides we sent mr mud to your fine land, we are waiting for his report before we invade! lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking there are very few who go into another province with that idea, but there are always those who don't give a dam. I say make the info readily available and easy to find for everyone. bike/sled shops, tourist booths, online, maybe even at forestry offices. till then you get what you get. maybe even inform the locals first. I'm also thinking there is a small minority of alberta atv riders that drive to bc to atv. so I'm also thinking it is more a bc problem.
besides we sent mr mud to your fine land, we are waiting for his report before we invade! lol
Mr.mud left on his own agenda , and hasn't looked back

Only think missed as far as ohv is concerned is poker rallys.... Nothing else

Bit hey, I can invade back and ride ur poker rallys, so nothing missed

U just wait till they limit sxs size and weight in Alberta, then the old danger ranger is only good for yard work if that

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

U just wait till they limit sxs size and weight in Alberta, then the old danger ranger is only good for yard work if that

hmm rumour has it, they will be eliminating access to trails to machines with less than a 54inch wheelbase, way to many people injured on them. Yamaha rhino's come to mind. hope you bought the rzr s

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm rumour has it, they will be eliminating access to trails to machines with less than a 54inch wheelbase, way to many people injured on them. Yamaha rhino's come to mind. hope you bought the rzr s
Nope, I'll take my chances

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
example of ATV damage on pipeline near Nordegg

View attachment 186485

photo of after very expensive repair

View attachment 186486
Huge waste of fawking money IMO right there. Who gives a ****? Worried about a deer or coyote tripping in a rut? That ain't a stream with fish in it. It's not a grazing meadow. It's a gawd damn pipeline right of way. More than likely full of stumps, de-activators and water berms, etc.
It was a trail that thousands of people including surveyors, pipeline inspectors, etc. went through for probably decades until the rains and run off washed it out then started a new trail beside it. It wasn't a 500' wide mud bog littered with garbage and burnt out cars.

I've said it many times.
I used to ride 10-15 years ago down the same trails and through the same swamp on seismic right of way and pipelines for about 4 years straight. Then moved on to other area's as did most of my riding buddies and very few ventured in the area due to the challenging terrain from so many machines going through there. It never got closed, just people lost interest. I went back 5 years after I stopped riding there and you wouldn't even know anyone had ever ridden it. Mother nature does a fine job of fixing itself after physical disruption is all I am saying so long as we pack out our garbage and don't contaminate the environment.

Stay out of the rivers with fish and pack out your garbage. That's all.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not board one bit during the summer , got a bike, rzr now, lots of good riding similar to nordegg area here

Have a boat, wood to get ect

Golden is too high to get off fsr roads, here the top is 1500 feet lower

If u seen the trail up kingfisher to the mara look out, or remote lakes, lots to ride here, and not all fsr roads

ya right, who you trying to convince, me or you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

if it s so good why you keep sneaking back? lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been back two times since we left , one to go to Mexico via cowtown , easter for surprise b.day party

Sure as fawk not to sled or quad

Just think, without me there the mud holes will renew themselves, and you will be able to go through them, and not around them

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge waste of fawking money IMO right there. Who gives a ****? Worried about a deer or coyote tripping in a rut? That ain't a stream with fish in it. It's not a grazing meadow. It's a gawd damn pipeline right of way. More than likely full of stumps, de-activators and water berms, etc.
It was a trail that thousands of people including surveyors, pipeline inspectors, etc. went through for probably decades until the rains and run off washed it out then started a new trail beside it. It wasn't a 500' wide mud bog littered with garbage and burnt out cars.

I've said it many times.
I used to ride 10-15 years ago down the same trails and through the same swamp on seismic right of way and pipelines for about 4 years straight. Then moved on to other area's as did most of my riding buddies and very few ventured in the area due to the challenging terrain from so many machines going through there. It never got closed, just people lost interest. I went back 5 years after I stopped riding there and you wouldn't even know anyone had ever ridden it. Mother nature does a fine job of fixing itself after physical disruption is all I am saying so long as we pack out our garbage and don't contaminate the environment.

Ever heard of sedimentation? It's not just fish bearing streams it's anything that feeds into them or feeds into potential drinking water.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I've said it many times.

actually, the issue here is the erosion was starting to expose the pipes.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of sedimentation? It's not just fish bearing streams it's anything that feeds into them or feeds into potential drinking water.
People will always find some rationale to justify in their minds that what they are doing is not bad.
That mindset was the biggest stumbling block we had to deal with in years of land use battles.
There is nothing you or anyone else can do to change it and they will be the first and loudest voices after closures.
And that is learned from years of experience not just an opinion.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Been back two times since we left , one to go to Mexico via cowtown , easter for surprise b.day party

Sure as fawk not to sled or quad

Just think, without me there the mud holes will renew themselves, and you will be able to go through them, and not around them[/QUOTE

why are you planning on returning for atv rally's, can't make up your mind. lol. guess you do miss us and cheap gas. yes streams and mud holes, definitely will be happy!

chit tex, guess someone else may have thought you we telling some BS heard there was a 6.1 earthquake in BC just now. lol.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People will always find some rationale to justify in their minds that what they are doing is not bad.
That mindset was the biggest stumbling block we had to deal with in years of land use battles.
There is nothing you or anyone else can do to change it and they will be the first and loudest voices after closures.

Very well said.
Environmental damage from ORV can be permanent for many many years. In the Okanagan we have an area called Grey Stokes, its a high alpine water shed area that at one time was opened to all, including ORV's. They closed the area nearly 20yrs ago to ORV, though you can still hike the area and there is an access road to the main water sheds (Grey stoke dam). The only vehicles allowed to rip around in Grey stokes are snowmobiles during the winter months.
I have spent alot of time in these pristine area before the closure and after the closer. The damage from ORV, such as ruts and holes are STILL there after 20 years of no ORV. Though plant life is recovering the water flows and drainage have changed drastically.
Personally i love off roading, but i applauded the government for closing the area, the ORV RETARD's that just rip it up just because its there, can't see beyond their own nose and needs and are the first to beotch.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very well said.
Environmental damage from ORV can be permanent for many many years. In the Okanagan we have an area called Grey Stokes, its a high alpine water shed area that at one time was opened to all, including ORV's. They closed the area nearly 20yrs ago to ORV, though you can still hike the area and there is an access road to the main water sheds (Grey stoke dam). The only vehicles allowed to rip around in Grey stokes are snowmobiles during the winter months.
I have spent alot of time in these pristine area before the closure and after the closer. The damage from ORV, such as ruts and holes are STILL there after 20 years of no ORV. Though plant life is recovering the water flows and drainage have changed drastically.
Personally i love off roading, but i applauded the government for closing the area, the ORV RETARD's that just rip it up just because its there, can't see beyond their own nose and needs and are the first to beotch.

So what purpose does the area now serve? Is this another area to be saved for future generations ?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what purpose does the area now serve? Is this another area to be saved for future generations ?

Its a non motorized recreational area. Its a very popular area for fishing camping and hiking/backpacking. Its also extremely popular with wildlife observation and photography. OVR are allowed only on the main road and there is only one, but ALL trails are off limit to ORV's.
It is also a water shed for the lower valleys and a wildlife sanctuary.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree if you are talking about the clearwater river up near its source or similar streams within 800 yards maybe that feed it but how far do you think the sedimentation travels in a 4' wide 4-6" deep slowly flowing stream miles away from any major tributary? Seriously. A hundred feet? At the most? Also if you ever took notice in high travel area's like that (using Tyler's pics as an example), you would notice there is little to no sediment left to disturb. It's mostly washed rock. If one was to travel up and down the stream that's a different story but still, the sedimentation travel is still minimal. Nowhere near spring run-off.

actually, the issue here is the erosion was starting to expose the pipes.
If it was to that point then I understand the need for reclamation. But on a sidehill without large rocks or trees to hold the soil in place, spring run-off and heavy rain will erode it eventually anyhow so although it maybe needed to be done sooner than later, it still would happen. Off road vehicles or not, better measures should have been taken to protect it if it is a concern. I have seen several pipeline that they haul and place large rocks over the pipelines to protect them from erosion. It works.

My mindset comes from experience and un-biased observation. As I said in my previous post I have re-visited heavily traveled areas that were fairly tore up and after left for a few years looked like nobody was ever there. Then there are those that say stay on the trail, minimize the environmental impact. Look at the pics Tyler G posted of one spot where people did that. That's what happens. No way to avoid it. So what's the solution? Ban everyone from the bush? Send them out with only 22" turf tires?

It's the same problem the oilsands have with the bird and frog lickers that are against the mining. All they see are the pictures of it now. Nobody looks at area's that were reclaimed 10-20 years ago and are in better condition now than they were pre-development. Forestry has had the same problem for years with clear-cutting. Everyone cries when they see a bare mountainside. Since they have started tree planting programs and selective logging look at how much better it is even 10 years after it was cleared off.

Again, pack out your garbage, don't contaminate the soil with gas or oil, and nature will heal itself eventually. It always does.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually Dale that isn't quite correct, logging, oil industries and mining never dreamed up the idea of reforestation, protecting streams and waterway's and returning the natural environment back to its natural state. That is something that was forced upon the industry by people and government. It was what you call the SOB greenies that opened the eyes of public and the outcry forced the government to make changes to the industry. The industry cannot be given credit for any of that.

In BC there are plenty of examples of industry of the past walking away from their destruction after they were done or there was no longer enough money to be made. Its all about the bottom dollar with industry and without certain guide lines the industry of today would be doing the same.
In many cases the damage from industry is permanent and the environment will never recover.
We need industry for economic growth but we need the environment also, to survive. Even though the earth is largely covered in water only a very small percentage of that water is drinkable. Our water sheds, streams and creeks are very sensitive and vulnerable and all them ORVs riders love to tear them up. That is where our drinkable water comes from.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What A pile of utter BS you spout off. Forestry was likly replanting before you were born...this is a fact ! It is a renewable ,sustainable resource. This was not forced on them, this is in there own best interests . I grew up in logging country in BC, my my brother in law has his masters degree in the silver culture / reforestation industry, and was working on reforestation 35 years ago years ago...

It appears you are once again stating your opinion as fact ,and I would suggest you do a lot more research before spouting more of the same
ridiculous nonsense...
It would appear your dislike of Alberta/ big industry & quadders clouds your judgement in most cases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom