New okanagan atv rules.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I haven't seen this shared recently. Not an okanagan rider but what will this mean for other areas in the near future?

ATVs must stick to trails - BC News - Castanet.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the east Koots, ATV's (summer motorized) are basically limited to a bladed road. Some areas are just plain closed to ATV's whether on a bladed road or not. Some have only July and August entrance. There is no restriction as to elevation that I know of. If the road was made with a blade (bull dozer, grader, etc.) then it is okay for an ATV unless in an already closed area. So trails that have been created illegally, are out of bounds for ATV's.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this shared recently. Not an okanagan rider but what will this mean for other areas in the near future?

ATVs must stick to trails - BC News - Castanet.net

It has alway's been this way. People just don't inform them selves. Off trail excursion's in most all of BC is prohibited and IF caught you can face serious charges.
There is also an elevation restriction in most all alpine areas. Unless there is a ROAD, it is prohibited for any wheeled vehicle to travel in the high alpine.
Depending on the area you are in the forestry do post restriction at FSR informing those user's of the regulation's for that area.
Creek crossing, meadow crossing and forging along lake shores are also prohibited. So is mud bugging in water sheds and off trail.
None of this is new and ATV's destroy land, so for the FOOL's we have rules.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund , i think your on the wrong site ... You should be on club tread! This forum is called snow and MUD...
Its uninformed people like you that are half the problem...
i am sure there are quite a few quadders on here that would take exception to your ill informed opinions....
If in your opinion ATVS destroy the land, why would you even belong to an atv forum ?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your on the wrong site ... You should be on club tread! This forum is called snow and MUD...
Its uninformed people like you that are half the problem...
i am sure there are quite a few quadders on here that would take exception to your ill informed opinions....
If in your opinion ATVS destroy the land, why would you even belong to an atv forum ?

riding in Bc is lots of fun, if you like riding gravel roads. we went into silent pass 2 yrs ago, called forestry, several sled shops and tourist sites, no one could tell us where we could ride, was a bit boring, guess tex just twiddles his thumbs for entertainment in the summer for 8 months of the year. this year was kind of the chitz for snow, so thinking he will be making trips to alberta now that he has a rzr. otherwise may as well just drive the truck ,it is the same. just more lame.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of it couldn't have always been that way. It says NEW.

When something is new that means it hasn't previously been that way.

ATV's do not destroy land. Just like guns do not kill. It is the user.

I can also say there is not one forestry posting on any FSR that I ride in the Kootenays that specifies regulations for those areas.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not board one bit during the summer , got a bike, rzr now, lots of good riding similar to nordegg area here

Have a boat, wood to get ect

Golden is too high to get off fsr roads, here the top is 1500 feet lower

If u seen the trail up kingfisher to the mara look out, or remote lakes, lots to ride here, and not all fsr roads

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not board one bit during the summer , got a bike, rzr now, lots of good riding similar to nordegg area here

Have a boat, wood to get ect

Golden is too high to get off fsr roads, here the top is 1500 feet lower

If u seen the trail up kingfisher to the mara look out, or remote lakes, lots to ride here, and not all fsr roads

Ya have fun, Haha

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of it couldn't have always been that way. It says NEW.

When something is new that means it hasn't previously been that way.

ATV's do not destroy land. Just like guns do not kill. It is the user.

I can also say there is not one forestry posting on any FSR that I ride in the Kootenays that specifies regulations for those areas.

Yes correct, it's not the ATV it self but people abusing. Thats actually what i meant.
Years ago i belonged to a 4 wheel drive club and alot of these rules were emphasized by the club.....so was the "Treading lightly" the club gave out bumper sticker's for member's to help show the public responsible off roading.

Maybe the media and alot of younger folk's feel its new but it aint. There never has been alot of attention given to it and unless you were involved in off roading and in a club where they would make you aware of these thing's. Similar to the snowmobiling community, people not involved are exactly that unaware.
The popularity of ATV's is now bringing these thing's to the front and people are becoming aware. As for the media, they are behind the 8ball on this.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fawkin mountain bikers do more destruction in the West Koots compared to the off road users. They cut down hundreds of trees to make their ramps, clear trails, leave their plastic water bottles and cliff bar packages all through the area.

Lund just because you practiced tread lightly ethics doesn't mean it was the law. The new laws are clearly stated. I could care less for the okanagan as I do not ride there. But it will end up becoming that way everywhere.

Improving upon trail systems is very important. Single track trail systems are a very minimal impact on the forested areas but these laws do impact areas that new trails could be created.

When will there be land set aside devoted to the atv/off-road users for those areas? Or would you prefer to bend over and allow all those areas be shut down to motorized use all together?

Last edited:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup new regulations but certain areas have had different signs for the last 5-10 years.Some have signs that say no motorized vehicles, usually in parks.Other areas that have been destroyed usually have large bright yellow signs with a picture of a atv with a slash through it saying keep out with fines for destroying the environment. Funny yesterday I was out for a cruise on my atv and went past this spot that has been posted for at least 5 years. There was about 5 trucks close by,I thought hmmm someone won't be able to resist. I left and on my return about 10 mins one guy in a lifted dodge starts heading in with sign right there. I yell at his buddies and tell them I'll report him if he goes in.He stopped and apologized.I just said not trying too ruin your fun but we all have to be responsible. Getting to be more regulations every year.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fawkin mountain bikers do more destruction in the West Koots compared to the off road users. They cut down hundreds of trees to make their ramps, clear trails, leave their plastic water bottles and cliff bar packages all through the area.

Lund just because you practiced tread lightly ethics doesn't mean it was the law. The new laws are clearly stated. I could care less for the okanagan as I do not ride there. But it will end up becoming that way everywhere.

Improving upon trail systems is very important. Single track trail systems are a very minimal impact on the forested areas but these laws do impact areas that new trails could be created.

When will there be land set aside devoted to the atv/off-road users for those areas? Or would you prefer to bend over and allow all those areas be shut down to motorized use all together?

I here ya Danny, loud and clear and yes it can be frustrating. But in all honesty we have been warn by many off road organization over the years that if we don't clean up our act as off road user's the government would do it for us in legislating new law's.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I shouldn't say I care less. I do care as I know it's the same old. They take a little now donuts easier to take more later.

Donuts? Weird auto correct!

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup new regulations but certain areas have had different signs for the last 5-10 years.Some have signs that say no motorized vehicles, usually in parks.Other areas that have been destroyed usually have large bright yellow signs with a picture of a atv with a slash through it saying keep out with fines for destroying the environment. Funny yesterday I was out for a cruise on my atv and went past this spot that has been posted for at least 5 years. There was about 5 trucks close by,I thought hmmm someone won't be able to resist. I left and on my return about 10 mins one guy in a lifted dodge starts heading in with sign right there. I yell at his buddies and tell them I'll report him if he goes in.He stopped and apologized.I just said not trying too ruin your fun but we all have to be responsible. Getting to be more regulations every year.

Thank you for standing up and doing the right thing. Its people like that that get places closed and bring a bad name to responsible user's. You don't need to be an ATV user to be an abuser, mountain biker's, hiker's, camper's we all play a role and abuse is wide spread. Only educating those and standing up to those, when seeing wrong ethical doing happening.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As is typical with Government instead of enforcing existing regulations to address the issue, they make new ones that are seen to be more restrictive with higher penalties.
Until there is active and visible enforcement none of these will be taken seriously.
A good example is what happened in Alberta when they cracked down on abuse there, most of the abusers either cleaned up their act or went where there were less ( or unenforced ) regulations.
Enforcement, followed by media coverage, making the public aware of the consequences will go farther than stiffer unenforced regs. Just my opinion.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As is typical with Government instead of enforcing existing regulations to address the issue, they make new ones that are seen to be more restrictive with higher penalties.
Until there is active and visible enforcement none of these will be taken seriously.
A good example is what happened in Alberta when they cracked down on abuse there, most of the abusers either cleaned up their act or went where there were less ( or unenforced ) regulations.
Enforcement, followed by media coverage, making the public aware of the consequences will go farther than stiffer unenforced regs. Just my opinion.

Right on Dave. The problems they have had at Koocanusa/Barnes/Elliot Late area further east, leads to a simple solution. The regulations are there. Enforcement is not.

If there were one or two machines confiscated and flown out by helicopter, under the regs of the present laws and fines levied, there probably would be no more abuse. But no, they have to bubble wrap the problem and are afraid to hurt peoples feelings or whatever they are afraid to do.

Education can only go so far and then there has to be consequences. Friggin' big consequences and those are already legislated.........

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's 'cuz the azzhats that don't want to play by the rules tear them down as fast as MoE can put them up. :quad-racer:

Beer Belch

Reaction score
I always thought it would be great to quad in b.c. After reading this I've changed my mind. If I lived there I wouldn't own a quad.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought it would be great to quad in b.c. After reading this I've changed my mind. If I lived there I wouldn't own a quad.
Why would you own a quad in Alberta then? Don't they have regulations and laws there as well?
If you use a quad or anything else respectfully and within the regulations there is still more than enough fun to be had no matter what you want to do.
Just can't do it everywhere.

Top Bottom