New factory short block?

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean your glasses for F@@K sake. If BRP or their paid associates did the repair, they'd magnflux the case before and after welding and you wouldn't see hair lines obviously from the first break in the case and they wouldn't patch it with JB weld. (haha sorry but thats exactly what the repair looks like!) Come on they aren't going to charge you for a new "rebuild" and send you something looking like that! You(or we as you say) may call them time bombs, I call them Ski-doo's.......... and I think, therefore I....... ride a 'Cat.

Sorry for your luck Barnes, hope it all works out, keep the faith brother!

Can aluminum be magnafluxed???????????????????????????

Marty117

Reaction score
I turn my own wrenches on all my toys and vehicles, I'm sure if i can inspect and repair a 25000lb armoured vehicle, that i can turn wrenches on my own sled. Getting use to the equipment is one thing, taking a man's word for his work is another. That is one thing i will never do on this site again.

Just curious, what sort of armoured vehicles do you wrench?

Back to the point of this thread, its a pretty crappy deal for everyone involved in something like this. I'm just glad I've had no problems with the used sled I bought.

Good luck.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, i'm past that. As i said.. used is used. And after 11 pages, i think everyone has gotten the point that i was trying to point out in this topic, which is be careful what you buy, it really doesn't matter who from. I wasn't trying to slag Chris in anyway for being a vendor on this site, but just trying to prove a point.

When someone says the motor is new... fine, 1 season is 1 season. If that is 4000kms or 400kms, it all depends on how it was taken care of. One thing i will mention is that Chris never did mention how many kms he put on the sled since the new factory short block was installed. And i will go on to say, he told me he ran the second hood he included with my sled, without gauges for a good part of last year. Soo to tell how many kms are on this motor is a guessing game.

You are right Imdoo'n, it does not have the stamp from BRP, but once again, its one man's word against another. Chris says its a BRP factory block... yet no stamp? Maybe i'm missing something? Maybe its in a different spot than where i looked? As i mentioned this is my first year into sledding, i don't know all the tricks and secrets of the trade YET.

Like it said, its a learning experience, same with this topic.

As i look on the main page, and noticed the view count is up over 4,000 now.. I'd like to hope someone picked up something out of this topic other than all the wining and bitching that actually went on in this topic.

I've been on enough forums and racked up enough of a post count, that i've gotten over going on the internet looking for attention. For anyone who thinks i came on here to slag Chris and get some attention for myself, your completely wrong. Like i said many posts ago, if anyone is bored on the weekend and would like to come and have a look at it with me. MAYBE even if you own a stator puller, stop on by, there's beer in the fridge.

i understand, someone is not telling everything they know. still you are getting shafted if that is how you bought sled, and as such it was misrepresented. as a new short block. sorry just asking ? teth air claims new short block, this has been sidewalk repaired.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Page three pic blows up nice. "Wear" above and between block ribs with three magor stress crack, yikers....not buyin that story. :eek: Intentionally or unintentionally Barnes, you got fawked with a patched block. Welcome to buying used toys.:(

Yes patched block, you can visibly see the repair in that pic. The cracks were there BEFORE any repair was done, they did not originate from the repair. You can even see in the blow up pic where the cross rib support was, and has been melted from heat and distorted. The case failure was clearly along the side of the support webbing and has been repaired.

Anyone saying this was something "rubbing" between the plate and the case needs their head examined.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what sort of armoured vehicles do you wrench?

Back to the point of this thread, its a pretty crappy deal for everyone involved in something like this. I'm just glad I've had no problems with the used sled I bought.

Good luck.

I work on the bison's. You might see them driving around Edmonton next week with a "student driver sign" on the front and back

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way the bottom of the case was repaired. This was a NEW short block from BRP. The case has been rubbing against the motor mount plate by the looks of it. I have sent an email to Mr R's to prove i purchased this motor from them. The previous motor went down at Quartz on December 21st or 22nd, 2009 when we did our Avy course with Hangfire. The shortblock was bought the week after. For those who know me, know I have a business reputation that i could not jepardize by lieing to Mike about this sled and its history. I have many witnesses that are well respected in the sled business that will back me on what I am saying because they ride with my son and I and remember the motor going down and the new one going in.

Chris[/QUOTE

Teher man, Got that reciept yet? or did you pulll a fast one on that guy? You have been very quiet, ashamed???
Pay's to keep reciepts and give a copy to the buyer at time of sale.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way the bottom of the case was repaired. This was a NEW short block from BRP. The case has been rubbing against the motor mount plate by the looks of it. I have sent an email to Mr R's to prove i purchased this motor from them. The previous motor went down at Quartz on December 21st or 22nd, 2009 when we did our Avy course with Hangfire. The shortblock was bought the week after. For those who know me, know I have a business reputation that i could not jepardize by lieing to Mike about this sled and its history. I have many witnesses that are well respected in the sled business that will back me on what I am saying because they ride with my son and I and remember the motor going down and the new one going in.

Chris[/QUOTE

Teher man, Got that reciept yet? or did you pulll a fast one on that guy? You have been very quiet, ashamed???
Pay's to keep reciepts and give a copy to the buyer at time of sale.

I'm by no means picking sides, but i think tethair is being fairly reasonable in this situation on line. I'M NOT SAYING HE DID/DIDNT SELL A BAD SLED. He's keeping out of this b*tchfest and when he has something useful to post ie a recipt, im sure he will. Until then, i respect his low profile. no need to add fuel to the fire until hard facts are present.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been reading/watching this thread from the beginning. I'm not picking sides, BUT

As easy as it would be for a guy to sell a fawked motor, it's just as easy for someone to swap a fawked motor into a sled they bought.

I'm not saying either one happened, but before you all drag someone through the coals that you've never even met before in your lives, you just might want to think of how it could happen to you one day.

This is a classic case of he said she said. Unless you are Barnes, or Teth-air... You're never going to ever really know the full truth. Reciepts can be printed, statements can be made, pictures taken and all you're left with is nothing.

Yeah. The motor in the pictures looks repaired. Apparently it's not a shortblock. Who's to say it's the motor that was sold in the sled? You don't know and I don't know. Only Barnes and Teth-air will know for sure.

Marty117

Reaction score
I work on the bison's. You might see them driving around Edmonton next week with a "student driver sign" on the front and back

Yeah, I've seen the Bisons rolling around. You work at Fd Amb?

Nice TLAV pic btw.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Timber, i like your take on things. Like i said before, this thread was only to make people aware of whats going on around you.

Marty, Yup Fd Amb.. haha. Whats your military background?
The TLAV shot was in borden on my 5's a few years back.

Marty117

Reaction score
Timber, i like your take on things. Like i said before, this thread was only to make people aware of whats going on around you.

Marty, Yup Fd Amb.. haha. Whats your military background?
The TLAV shot was in borden on my 5's a few years back.

I'm across the road with the engineers. I was rolling on tracks last year for a bit, all fun until you throw track 3 times in day.

Crappy deal with your sled though, I bought a used 04 Summit in December. Its been great, except for a stump that broke my bumper...

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you had the chance to split the cases? I am one who would like to see if the new short blocks are worth it.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called Mr R's again today and was informed that Ryan is away until the 28th. He is the guy trying to get the receipt from Ken. I state that I bought the factory short block from them and I did. Here is a video that has been on you-tube since the Spring and at 3:26 read the statement where I mention that it was replaced. If I was hiding something, I would not keep insisiting that I did not repair this motor, only replaced it with the factory short-block.

YouTube - TethAir's Channel

In fact this was the second short block that I had put in this sled. The same PTO side connecting rod went when my wife was riding it the year before. There is no point repairing these motor as the parts will cost as much as the shortblock, about $1800. My son rode it the rest of the season and put probably 1000 km's on it.
I just wish I had kept the receipt. Why hasn't Barnes shown the inside of the block yet to show that there was no epoxy repair? He must have seen it by now.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called Mr R's again today and was informed that Ryan is away until the 28th. He is the guy trying to get the receipt from Ken. I state that I bought the factory short block from them and I did. Here is a video that has been on you-tube since the Spring and at 3:26 read the statement where I mention that it was replaced. If I was hiding something, I would not keep insisiting that I did not repair this motor, only replaced it with the factory short-block.

In fact this was the second short block that I had put in this sled. The same PTO side connecting rod went when my wife was riding it the year before. There is no point repairing these motor as the parts will cost as much as the shortblock, about $1800. My son rode it the rest of the season and put probably 1000 km's on it.
I just wish I had kept the receipt. Why hasn't Barnes shown the inside of the block yet to show that there was no epoxy repair? He must have seen it by now.

I am surprised about that being the 2nd short block in the sled. They do break down but I have 2 sleds. A 583 which had the top end done at 13,000KM. My '06 PTek 800 has around 4400 km and no issues but I need to look into it as a preventive measure.

Did you get both short blocks from Mr. R's?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Been busy with work and after working all day turning wrenches the last thing i want to do when i get home, is turn wrenches on some blown up piece of ch!t block. Its actually still sitting in the garage where i took it out 2 weeks ago... Your more than welcome to come up to Edmonton and take it apart for me, Chris... I did drive down to Calgary to pick up your piece of ch!t.

Top Bottom