New factory short block?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no way, in any scenario, does one deserve to be lied to. the wear items he probably had no idea about, as he is new to sledding and this is his first sled. isn't the motor enough to bitch about? he probably wouldn't have even posted about the sled if it wasn't for the motor being totally fawked and being lied to that it was new last year.

are you a friend of Chris?

Thank you... I was gonna put up about the wear items.. but why bother.. Like i keep saying

USED IS USED..

I'm willing to accept that.. but a blown motor?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
again what are you calling a blown motor. i agree that is not a brp rebuilt motor. teroy needs to slow down a bit

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not at all. as i said he has a bitch about the motor, need i say more. the parts he replaced are his problem. now i'm asking if the crank is destroyed, can't see from the pics. he says it seems fine, wtf.

From what we can tell without spilting the case.. the con rod bearing on the PTO side (blown piston side) feels rough, but not blown, and has the same amount of play as the "good side" (MAG side)

the crankshaft bearings seem good and tight.

If anyone in the edmonton area is curious to see it in person, send me a PM and come on by and have a beer and chat with me. I'd love any input i can possibility get.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not at all. as i said he has a bitch about the motor, need i say more. the parts he replaced are his problem. now i'm asking if the crank is destroyed, can't see from the pics. he says it seems fine, wtf.
it's not that unrealistic that the crank would be okay, if it was a piston failure and pieces went into the case on the original blow up that is what happens. there is very little clearance from the moving crank and the case, as soon as a small piece enters that space the case is what breaks. way easy to patch it up and sell it. the only way I can see Teth Air getting out of this is if the repair shop did all the work and lied to him about putting a new shortblock in.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not that unrealistic that the crank would be okay, if it was a piston failure and pieces went into the case on the original blow up that is what happens. there is very little clearance from the moving crank and the case, as soon as a small piece enters that space the case is what breaks. way easy to patch it up and sell it. the only way I can see Teth Air getting out of this is if the repair shop did all the work and lied to him about putting a new shortblock in.

When i asked him who installed the engine, he never told me.

He just said he bought it from Ken Baker.. at the shop that closed down.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
again what are you calling a blown motor. i agree that is not a brp rebuilt motor. teroy needs to slow down a bit
please tell me where I have asked a question, or made any statement that isn't running through the buyer's mind? or anyone else's for that matter?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well then he likely installed the motor and new about the damage. you may be able to get by with a top end repair is what i'm getting at = less money and easy to do. looking at options, not being an a hole.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how is this(are you a friend of chris?), as i said take a breath, i'm asking questions.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well then he likely installed the motor and new about the damage. you may be able to get by with a top end repair is what i'm getting at = less money and easy to do. looking at options, not being an a hole.

Can you not see the cracks in the case?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how is this(are you a friend of chris?), as i said take a breath, i'm asking questions.
I apologize, it seemed as if you were somehow implying the buyer should have known about the issue and just chalked it up to bad luck. without doing a leakdown or yanking the motor, there would have been no way to know that motor wasn't new as claimed.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I apologize, it seemed as if you were somehow implying the buyer should have known about the issue and just chalked it up to bad luck. without doing a leakdown or yanking the motor, there would have been no way to know that motor wasn't new as claimed.

none needed, or expected. can't see enough engine damage to come to a conclusion on the case cracks. piston damage etc. he got snookered on the motor alright. no one would have known off engine damage. but with the problems he described most would have walked away.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
none needed, or expected. can't see enough engine damage to come to a conclusion on the case cracks. piston damage etc. he got snookered on the motor alright. no one would have known off engine damage. but with the problems he described most would have walked away.
absolutely. someone that knew what they were looking for certainly would have walked away if the seller wasn't willing to drop the price.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah my conclusion, the crack on the bottom case looks new, would have been welded the first time, i'm guessing. looks bad the more i see. was thinking he might get away with a top end rebuild maybe $600 or so. but if that is a fresh crack, welding is in order.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe the best idea would be to look for a used motor, otherwise it is a basket case.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly i've been looking for a used motor.. but after coming this far.. and spending close to $5000 just to get rolling, i'm out of cash.. so my season is done... all 250kms of it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i hear ya. thought you may get away with only a top end rebuild, not enough pics to say. where there pieces of piston missing. piston looked lean, but? sucks i'm sure. keep your eyes open, try sled parlour in carstairs.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i hear ya. thought you may get away with only a top end rebuild, not enough pics to say. where there pieces of piston missing. piston looked lean, but? sucks i'm sure. keep your eyes open, try sled parlour in carstairs.

Yes thats what i thought in the beginning, but there are several cracks in the bottom end.. all over the place.

Yes we think that cylinder was leaned out, due to a crack carb boot. I will post that up soon. I keep looking around for a new engine, but i'm pretty disappointed already, might as well give up on the season and start with a completely rebuilt sled next year.

Top Bottom