New Denali 3500!!!! Tire options???

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ba ha ha ha ha ha. Well I will level with you.... You will never ever have to worry about. I only own the GMT800 body style....... and will only ever own the GMT800 (99-07 classic) bodystyle. GMT900(2007-present) fender flares don't fit my trucks anyway. Since you don't have a gas engine, or a half ton you don't have any other parts I want to steal either. A half ton denali however would be a different story, lol.

And I edited for clarity. I am a dork that talks in body designations are RPO codes cause I have memorized piles of it making my junkyard and purchasing adventures easier. On the GM truck sites I am on that is fine..... cause lots of other guys do as well. But the general public kinda goes huh........ and I forget that. I apologize, lol.

That's hilarous, I figured out what you were talking about but was wondering if I really knew THAT little about trucks.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I know especially now about the 99-07's is pathetic...... and fanatical. When I was younger it was the same thing with the old TBI trucks from 87-95. If you look at stuff long enough you just remember it. I mean I just bought another truck about 2 months ago ( 2004 GMC 2500 light duty crew cab short box 4X4) and asked the owner my usual before going to look. Does it have Bose/buckets/console, auto climate control, steering wheel controls and what is the gear ratio because the ad was useless. She had said yes to the first 3 things and then said 3.73's........ I almost didn't look at the truck because I really wanted 4.10's ( 2000 lb legal tow rating difference between the two... and 4.10's just work better). Well I get there, drop the glove box open and voila...... I see GT5 ( 4.10's) not GT4 (3.73's). And I bought it...... cause it was cheap, low mile and clean. And..... once I get the engine done I have for it ( was a 345 HP LQ9 6 liter out of an Escalade.... will be an iron block LS2 with more cam when I am done) pick the stall convertor I want and find some long tube headers that fit decently..... it should go okay too. Hobby.

I need a short bed 4X4 reg cab of the same era ( 2003-2007) to dump a 6 liter and 4L80E in with at least a 76 mm turbo on it..... But finding one is hard enough...... let alone finding one that is clean. Started looking at new SRT8 Chargers again though, decisions decisions.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I know especially now about the 99-07's is pathetic...... and fanatical. When I was younger it was the same thing with the old TBI trucks from 87-95. If you look at stuff long enough you just remember it. I mean I just bought another truck about 2 months ago ( 2004 GMC 2500 light duty crew cab short box 4X4) and asked the owner my usual before going to look. Does it have Bose/buckets/console, auto climate control, steering wheel controls and what is the gear ratio because the ad was useless. She had said yes to the first 3 things and then said 3.73's........ I almost didn't look at the truck because I really wanted 4.10's ( 2000 lb legal tow rating difference between the two... and 4.10's just work better). Well I get there, drop the glove box open and voila...... I see GT5 ( 4.10's) not GT4 (3.73's). And I bought it...... cause it was cheap, low mile and clean. And..... once I get the engine done I have for it ( was a 345 HP LQ9 6 liter out of an Escalade.... will be an iron block LS2 with more cam when I am done) pick the stall convertor I want and find some long tube headers that fit decently..... it should go okay too. Hobby.

I need a short bed 4X4 reg cab of the same era ( 2003-2007) to dump a 6 liter and 4L80E in with at least a 76 mm turbo on it..... But finding one is hard enough...... let alone finding one that is clean. Started looking at new SRT8 Chargers again though, decisions decisions.

You had me at "pathetic" ;)

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Dean..dont put flares on it .they rub and vibrate and rub on the body,,,which rubs the paint off and will rust,,I see it alot on the Dodge trucks with the bushwackers ...TRUST ME !

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said as they all do it. You have to spray rock guard under them to protect truck body. Flares become a 1500.00 dollar option +/-

Dean..dont put flares on it .they rub and vibrate and rub on the body,,,which rubs the paint off and will rust,,I see it alot on the Dodge trucks with the bushwackers ...TRUST ME !

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What he said as they all do it. You have to spray rock guard under them to protect truck body. Flares become a 1500.00 dollar option +/-

Oh boy, I was originally worried about that but forgot all about it in all the excitement. Without them, the tire/wheel combo I chose will stick out past the fenders and probably chip the heck out of the paint anyway, wouldn't it? That 3M rock guard shoud work pretty wel,, shouldn't it?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are they attached on the outer fringes where they contact the body of the truck? My factory old truck ones never rub but also use 3m tape to stick to the fender around the top edges.

The other thing with flares is you should get used to removing them occasionally and cleaning behind them. They hold all kinds of lovely stuff on the backside, lol.

3m would help but you would need half the boxside covered in if they protrude far enough.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would shop around and buy some stock 20's and put rubber on those as it will keep rims the right off set. If you keep a eye open on KIJIJI they come up.
I put them on mine with 285's. Dealer switched for no cost and sold stock tires for 800 and bought what i wanted.
The stock 20inch wheel look fine . IMO

Oh boy, I was originally worried about that but forgot all about it in all the excitement. Without them, the tire/wheel combo I chose will stick out past the fenders and probably chip the heck out of the paint anyway, wouldn't it? That 3M rock guard shoud work pretty wel,, shouldn't it?

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the fender flares they beat up the paint and rattle and I am not to big of a fan. I put a 20 inch +20mm offset on my 2011 Duramax and they sit really nice with out any fender flares, my tires are 305/55/20 so not too huge but look like a proper fit not to big not to small for only having the leveling kit, your +18 shouldn't be too bad, the worst thing you'll notice is some spray up the side windows in the winter on those crappy days and visibility will suck. I put the 3m on the fenders and front to save the paint, had it on 2 trucks now and have had zero complaints. Good job on replaceing the upper A arms with the leveling Kit and also for the extra 300 bucks I would recommend going with a longer shock, but the spacers will work ok.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The factory flares are two sided tape. But the new trucks don't have them. Classic style did.

They will rub and wear the paint off. Paint isn't as durable a it was years agi

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't worry about paint chipping unless your bagging down gravel roads every day. Mine stick out pretty good and the only thing I noticed gets minor rock chips is the corners of the back bumper. Nothing mud flaps won't fix. As for the sides of the truck, the front wheels do sometimes kick up rocks but if it wasn't for my running boards the odd rock will be bouncing off the side of my truck.

Sent from a iPhone

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory GMT800 flares were two sided taped at the top and clipped in the edge of the fender. They do not wear the paint off of anything if installed properly because the flare isn't contacting the boxside... the tape is. Installed improperly and allowing the plastic edge to rub on the boxside and yeah...... it looks like how my 05 did when I bought it. Paint falling off around the edge of the flare. It's not much of a gap, but if installed properly there will be a very slight one.

I don't see why this same concept cannot be adapted to the GMT900's with an aftermarket flare of some kind.

We live in Alberta too btw...... even if you don't leave the city the amount of gravel on the highways in the winter time will chip the hell out of your truck. Most of my trucks chips are from pavement.... not gravel roads.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354477343.171742.jpg
Truck has cognito leveling kit with 1 inch block in it.
285/60-20 tires

sledwhore

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354481483.083916.jpg

This is my 07 not sure how much the newer trucks have for clearance compared to older models but I run 33 12.5 or 305 /55 20 on a 20x9 0 offset no leveling kit just the fender mod

sledwhore

Reaction score
Ya cutting a bit hammering an heated plastic fender wells to mold them out

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya cutting a bit hammering an heated plastic fender wells to mold them out

I don't find that idea overly appealing. I'm going to try the levelling kit, offset rims and 295/65R18's and see how much they rub. If it rubs too badly, I'll probably opt for the 275's and do a real lift down the road when those tires need replacing and I have a little more $$$ saved up.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with a leveling kit and 275/65 r 20 dura tracks. no fender flares.

34"x11"

I stopped by yesterday before they started installing shhhtuff and told them to scrap the levelling kit. On top of being $2k for very little gain and a rougher ride, it seemed kinda cheasy on a truck that expensive. I decided to go with a 4" lift and 305 Dura Tracs which I believe will for me into a 20" wheel. I'll keep 'em if I like how they look, otherwise I may swap em out for 295/65R18's. Lol, that was the final straw before the bank finally put a stop to any further accessorizing. :)

I did express concern about the fender flares rubbing the paint - they assured me that there is foam tape and no direct contact points, so I decided to keep 'em. Besides, I think it's too late now, since they should have already gone to paint.

Top Bottom