New Denali 3500!!!! Tire options???

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm so excited I can barely sit still long enough to type this message. I decided to bite the bullet and get a grown up truck. I plan on hauling a camper this coming season and/or a sled deck and holliday trailer. So, I just about signed a deal today but am waiting for financing and a little wheeling and dealing. It's beautiful!!! ...but the stock tires look pretty silly on a truck that size.

The bottom line is that I wanted bigger, meatier tires on it and some fender flares (just 'cause I like the look of them). I think the stock tires are pretty small and look ridiculous on a truck that size with that much clearance. I don't know a lot about trucks and was confused when the aftermarket guy told me that the fender flares would look ridiculous if I didn't put a lift on it. I asked a lot of dumb questions and didn't want to ask any more, so I let it be for now.

The question I have is: Can't I put a set of tires on this thing that would A) match the size of the truck appropriately without adding addional lift? B) ofset the rims so that the flares wouldn't look ridiculous?

I hope to sign a deal tomorrow so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm so excited I can barely sit still long enough to type this message. I decided to bite the bullet and get a grown up truck. I plan on hauling a camper this coming season and/or a sled deck and holliday trailer. So, I just about signed a deal today but am waiting for financing and a little wheeling and dealing. It's beautiful!!! ...but the stock tires look pretty silly on a truck that size.

The bottom line is that I wanted bigger, meatier tires on it and some fender flares (just 'cause I like the look of them). I think the stock tires are pretty small and look ridiculous on a truck that size with that much clearance. I don't know a lot about trucks and was confused when the aftermarket guy told me that the fender flares would look ridiculous if I didn't put a lift on it. I asked a lot of dumb questions and didn't want to ask any more, so I let it be for now.

The question I have is: Can't I put a set of tires on this thing that would A) match the size of the truck appropriately without adding addional lift? B) ofset the rims so that the flares wouldn't look ridiculous?

I hope to sign a deal tomorrow so any input would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion I wouldn't go with fender flares, they will look goofy on a stock height truck. If I was you I'd go with a 34 or 35"x12.50 mud tire and a leveling kit. That would look deadly

Sent from a iPhone

butters

Reaction score
The fords have tons of clearance! I had an 08 gm 2500 diesel with a 6" inch lift and 35's, the fronts still rubbed when the wheels were turned and you hit a hole. Not built to what customers want at all IMO

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 3500 Z71 so it sits pretty high stock. I thought it would look pretty good as long as the tires were wide enough (or offest).

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When is our first ride?? Missed you on our last one, we took 4 quads on a trailer , it was great right up to the point when Josh blew his belt.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would only install fender flares if you install off set rims. Or else the width of the flares won't match the width of the tires and in my opinion does not look good

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock tires are 32.6" tall..... If it rubs from 0.4" of tire height..... well what am I saying mine all rubbed the mud flaps with stock tires, lol. You have a big goofy gap on the 2007's up on top of the tire..... but the problem is when you turn the wheels you rub the inner fender on the backside. Gm never changes.

The big monster flares with fake rivets in them look dumb regardless IMO. The GMT800's look better with flares than the GMT900's do... but being normal factory installs on the GTM800's maybe is why I like them.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to invite everyone to South fork this weekend, but I'm a little preoccupied this weeked. :d May be next weekend (and there's the Alberta Beach Rally too). ...back to topic!!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fender flares are a little too much for a non lifted truck.

Unless you get the extend a fender ones, and not the pocket style. (bushwacker) Your tires should not be set in and not stick out.

Rim spacers are not a good idea. They shorten the life of your front suspension.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wheel wells on the gm's are a stupid design. Very tall and skinny. You can barely jam 285s in there and they still rub at full lock. Leveling kits are ok but unless you are willing to spend some money, the truck will ride like crap and front end will wear out super fast. If you really just want a leveling kit go cognito and do their upper control arm kit. But IMO you should do a 4" lift and 35s with some minor trimming.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big monster flares with fake rivets in them look dumb regardless IMO.

You talking about these? lol, that's specifically what I was looking for. I think they look kinda badd azz on a black truck.

2-13-10020.jpg

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok in my opinion hate fender flares on the new trucks for wheels BMF novakanes look the best i think example (6" bds on 35's)
wildchevyt2.jpg

wildchevyt.jpg

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
35s will never fit on a leveled nnbs gmc/chevy.

I had a 08 with a 6" lift on 35's and it still rubbed with the front bumper cut

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You talking about these? lol, that's specifically what I was looking for. I think they look kinda badd azz on a black truck.

View attachment 142875
I agree, even on a leveled truck they look great IMO. Build the truck how you will enjoy it :)

Ill offer some advice on tires and lifts... Search Duramax forums. they will tell you what fits in the wheel well and rubs....and what fits and doesn't rub, from stock height on up.

Top Bottom