New build advice

DSpot

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been reading this site for years and feel there are a lot of intelligent experienced people here, so looking for advice on a sled i plan to build.

First, a little info about me, I'm pretty amateur, i snow checked a 2012 free ride, 154. It was my first mountain sled. Loved the machine, but i'm a pretty big guy (260 lbs) and up at elevation it just didn't have the motivation to haul my ass around, so i plan to build a turbo.

Thing is i lack a lot of knowledge in the sledding department in general, never mind turbo'd 4s. So i'll get on with it.

From what i can tell it's not really worth it to get the 180 mpi factory kit ( planning on a 2015 maybe 16, viper mtx 162)
Curious as to what would be a good set up for some moderate to high end HP, 220-270 range. Is it possible to get in there on pump gas safely? Is that more horse than i really need? I love to climb. That's really all i care about. With a set up like that, would i still be able to do the odd ditch banging without much tinkering? Ride around Olds with my brother here and there, would prefer not to have 2 sleds.
Would a water/methanol kit be a good idea?

I don't really want to drop like 30k into a new sled + set up right off the bat, so if those of you with the knowledge, experience, and their own builds could chime in i'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Dustin

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
book a Boost-it turbo kit, add the headshim so you can run 240hp on pump, put a baker rear arm in the rear skid to control ski lift, and ride it, 12psi on pump all day long !!!!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like bigger guy where the 154 is not strong or powerful enought.. Still not sure I would bite to the viper turbo but that's yiur call

Could also do a t3 with turbo of choice and do it fairly cheap... Boost it is close to you and they could handle your service work... Fairly easy to run 200hp every day with a stock 174 track is pretty fun

two strokes turbos will not be as reliable as the four stroke turbo but they are getting better and better... And a lot lighter ..probably close to 80 lbs over all and still some warranty with the right dealer

decisions, decisions

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2nd stage 240 set up is IMO the best all around set up going. Plenty of power to satisfy most condition's out there. The 180 basic set up will hardly be an improvement over an 800 2stroke non turbo. While the 270+hp will require some technical knowledge to keep it running safe and take's thing's to a whole new level in riding skill's.
As Clode said with 12lbs boost you can run premium all day long with zero worries, mix and you can crank up the boost safely to 15-16lbs no problem.
Yes your a pretty big guy, i'm 220lbs and 6ft with nothing on. Geared up with pack i'm pushing easy 280+, i suspect you will be over 300 geared up, go with the 240hp set up and 4stroke.
As fredw posted the 2strokes are a very nice lighter option and are getting better, but IMO the 2stroke's don't have the torque and torque curve needed to pull that kind of weight effectively. The fat and broad torque of the 4stroke will make you much happier in the long run.
If you were a smaller dude then a 2stroke could be another option, IMO.

Last edited:

DSpot

Reaction score
book a Boost-it turbo kit, add the headshim so you can run 240hp on pump, put a baker rear arm in the rear skid to control ski lift, and ride it, 12psi on pump all day long !!!!

Sounds pretty good to me, is it still possible to do lower elevation riding with that set up? Everything i read says dial down the boost below about 6000ft elevation, and around home were at about 3000 feet.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me, is it still possible to do lower elevation riding with that set up? Everything i read says dial down the boost below about 6000ft elevation, and around home were at about 3000 feet.

A turbo'd sled will make it's own atmosphere and it doesn't care if it's at 3,000ft or 10'000ft. Engine wise.
Plus a 180hp set up can not be adjusted, they are preset to 8lbs boost. A 240hp set up can be adjusted BUT cannot be lowered below 8lbs boost and some below 10lbs boost, such as my set up.

Last edited:

DSpot

Reaction score
Yeah, i had considered just boosting my freeride, but it I figured if i was going to put that much money into a sled that it may as well be a reliable machine too. I'm not too concerned with the extra few pounds a 4 stroke adds, if anything needs to drop a few pounds it'll be me haha

Is the 240 kit through Boost it? They're out of Ponoka if i remember correctly are they not?

DSpot

Reaction score
A turbo'd sled will make it's own atmosphere and it doesn't care if it's at 3,000ft or 10'000ft. Engine wise.
Plus a 180hp set up can not be adjusted, they are preset to 8lbs boost. A 240hp set up can be adjusted BUT cannot be lowered below 8lbs boost and some below 10lbs boost, such as my set up.

OK, i had thought however at lower elevations you had to run a higher octane fuel generally to prevent detonation with a turbo, that's more what i was concerned with

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, i had thought however at lower elevations you had to run a higher octane fuel generally to prevent detonation with a turbo, that's more what i was concerned with

Most turbo set up's that i'm aware of have no altitude compensation. But i could be wrong, please correct me if any one know's better.
BUT, you really should alway's include an O2 sensor and gauge on a properly set up turbo. This way you can monitor your engine, in my case i can adjust my fuel through a fuel controller, add or subtract fuel as needed if i have too. This keep's my engine running in the safe zone's no matter what the elevation is. I alway's use premium and NO less, in most cases i mix for my style of riding.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My son was running an MCX270hp Nytro with a .080" head shim at 14lbs on 91 pump from 1000 to 8000 feet when he lived in Nelson and it never skipped a beat. They are a rock solid setup. Just turn the key and ride.

DSpot

Reaction score
Most turbo set up's that i'm aware of have no altitude compensation. But i could be wrong, please correct me if any one know's better.
BUT, you really should alway's include an O2 sensor and gauge on a properly set up turbo. This way you can monitor your engine, in my case i can adjust my fuel through a fuel controller, add or subtract fuel as needed if i have too. This keep's my engine running in the safe zone's no matter what the elevation is. I alway's use premium and NO less, in most cases i mix for my style of riding.

I'm hoping whoever i end up getting to do the install will have these basics in mind, but yeah thanks for all the input, will be good to have a list of things to quiz them on when i take it in

My son was running an MCX270hp Nytro with a .080" head shim at 14lbs on 91 pump from 1000 to 8000 feet when he lived in Nelson and it never skipped a beat. They are a rock solid setup. Just turn the key and ride.

That's what i like to hear. 94 octane pump gas is everywhere too so that's most likely what i will run

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO I would try to ride one before you buy, some guys don't care for the extra weight of a 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke, I myself would find it very difficult to switch from a turbo 2 stroke to turbo 4 stroke, having that light nimble handling with quick snappy power is awesome. But whatever way you go talk to Boost-It, they will set you up right.

DSpot

Reaction score
IMO I would try to ride one before you buy, some guys don't care for the extra weight of a 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke, I myself would find it very difficult to switch from a turbo 2 stroke to turbo 4 stroke, having that light nimble handling with quick snappy power is awesome. But whatever way you go talk to Boost-It, they will set you up right.
Yeah i really wish i had an opportunity to try one out, however i don't know anyone who owns one and not really willing to rent. Would be nice to feel the difference beforehand that's for sure

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i really wish i had an opportunity to try one out, however i don't know anyone who owns one and not really willing to rent. Would be nice to feel the difference beforehand that's for sure
$300 bucks to rent vs spending $15,000 plus dollars to then realize you do not like it ? I would try and rent one if you had the opportunity.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

call the boost-it guys at the shop & talk with Neil or tj,tell them what you want to do & they will give you options. they may tell you to come by shop to try a sled or you can meet them in revy as they are there most every weekend,to try a sled,they are only about 25 minutes from yah.

JustBoostIt

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca

Evo's Viper kit has altitude compensating but they are the only one I know that does.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out yesterday with two new t3s.. One with a aero, the other Boondocker.. Great snow and both rad very well, one gent had a nitro before and was reluctant at first going t3... Said its day and night difference, very happy so far

with all these kit manufaters, we the consumer are winning for sure

loudelectronics

Reaction score
Definitely give boost-it a call. There are a lot of haters for 4 strokes and not sure why. The Viper handles very well, easy to throw around once set up right. Suspension setup is key though. I hated mine last year but got the suspension dialed now and it is a dream. Mine ready to ride with Turbo is 617 lbs... that is with everything... extra fuel jug,storage bag, tools, 162" track, etc.

I only have the 190 kit and wishing for more power already. It blows the doors off 800's expecially at elevation but where turbos take you, you will want more.

Make sure whatever kit you go with run afr and boost gauges. I have an MCX with elevation comp but my afr is incredibly lean. Having a place like boost-it near by will save you tons down the road.

Thedoityouselfguy

Reaction score
I run a 270 mcx kit on my nytro. It will roast anything out there on a climb. Trees can be tricky. If you are into climbing a turbo 4 stroke is the way to go for sure. It is an eerie feeling when you are gaining speed up the hill instead of losing it!! I dial it down around home 2200 ft and keep topped up with good fresh premium. I have water meth if I feel I have to crank it at low elevation which works great but adds weight. Run a large turbo kit, arp head studs, and stainless steel shim (not aluminum) and you should get plenty of miles trouble free...I have 3500kms and it hasn't skipped a beat. Cheers

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$300 bucks to rent vs spending $15,000 plus dollars to then realize you do not like it ? I would try and rent one if you had the opportunity.
If you can find one to rent. I've been looking all over and can't find any MTX Viper's anywhere for rent. Seems everyone runs Doo and a few Poo's and Cat's. Only Yamaha I have seen are trail sleds. Need to get to a dealer and find out when the demo's are happening. Hopefully some of them pipe up and advertise it on here.

Top Bottom