New 2015 Chevy Duramax blown Engine

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it fixed, but I would have fought incredibly hard for a new truck, that's bs that they think they can get away with having a new truck fail that soon and you be out the truck for a month and not reimburse you.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That many hours and the only partly installed the engine lol. Glad to here it running again. And I will say it "dam welders"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the truck has anymore engine issues it will be for sale.

I’ve never seen anyone with worse luck than you on new toys. The sled, the boat, the truck...jeez.

Oh well, hopefully that’s the last of your issues with that truck and you can just enjoy it.

After all that smack talk toward the Super Duties…lol :rolleyes:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's the update if anyone is interested. From what the mechanics and engineers could figure out what caused the problem was welding slag and debris that was left in machine welded pipe that goes from the manifold to the turbo on both sides of the engine. They have seen this in a few cases now where the pipe isn't cleaned and polished and missed inspection. The welding slag and metal breaks off and go through all the engine components. This is just what they told me, who knows for sure. The truck was in the shop for 25 days and the following was done based on invoice

Removed old engine and partly install new engine
wash out and inspect erg cooler
clean and make boroscope inspection on erg coolers
remove scr and inspect
remove intercooler and flush
remove rad, run water through it
fuel injector line replaced due to broken retainer
replaced #7 fuel injector
Reprogram fuel injector flow rate into dcm
Performed def fluid quality test and after treatment regen
And a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, looks like the total labour was 457 hrs, which seems excessive to me.

So putting in a claim with GM assist and they said it would get back to me in 3-5 days, well its been a month now and nothing. The warranty for new engine doesn't start over from scratch now it still from original date. I was extremly patient with this dealer and then they asked me to think hard and reply fairly to feed back survey. Well here's what i replied, truck was in your service shop 4 times before and no issues were found when motor was shoot, When asked for my tires to be inflated to 55psi all around I showed up after 25 days and they were all set different from 35-65psi, you test drove it for less then 40kms with new engine, I need to go back and get clamps put on certain hoses that you didn't have in stock, You didn't put synthetic oil back in which I paid extra at last oil change. Not big issues but enough to not give them good feedback.

On a positive I did put 1000km's on truck since I got it back and this is the longest it's ran without the engine light on,lol. Hope it lasts!!
Was going to take a pic, I got a 12 cab up yesterday

Make sure u guys keep ur air filter good , or it breaks the grid that keeps the filter from getting sucked in

Problem is the grid breaks and gets sucked in, wrecks the turbo blades intake side

I was doing a egr bypass valve under warranty till I found all that, and found brass or some kind of fillings on the valve inlet ( not normal and have changed at least 30 bypass valves) , can only assume it's from the exhaust side impeller ect

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen anyone with worse luck than you on new toys. The sled, the boat, the truck...jeez.

Oh well, hopefully that’s the last of your issues with that truck and you can just enjoy it.

After all that smack talk toward the Super Duties…lol :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention on my way to Vancouver the side window blew out on me too. Its all replaceable and fixable so it could be worse.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention on my way to Vancouver the side window blew out on me too. Its all replaceable and fixable so it could be worse.
Unknown.jpeg

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
canada has lemon laws, there is an impartial board that deals with all vehicles, when the ford 6.0L came out my dad had one and had a lot of problems, he documented every day it was in the shop, finally one day the crank broke and they had to do the engine. by that time he had enough and said i want a replacement truck. the dealership said no, i think it had around 20 000km, he filed with this impartial board, as soon as ford got wind of this they were offering him good deals on new trucks but offering him **** for his, he stood his ground and said he wanted a replacement straight across, they said no, he went to the board and plead his case and won, ford had to give him a new truck at no cost to him. check it out if you are not happy

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a request in with GM assist and they are going to review the case, because this has been an issue from day one you never know. It doesn't hurt to ask, if not I will fight for extended warrantee on the whole truck including the electrical.

too bad if this was the states you'd stand a better chance under there anit lemon laws for vehicles... we should have the same law... you'd be covered im sure

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So its been 6 months and 15,000km's since I got the new motor put in the dirtymax, Just though I'd give an update on how its been. Haven't had single issue with it (knock on wood). Have to give props to the mechanic that worked on it, last oil change he seen me and went out of his way to come talk to me to see how the motor was running. You could tell he took pride in his work. Hopefully its trouble free for another 160,000 km's like my other dirtymax.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 190,000km on my 2011, only problem has been with emissions stuff and it's all been covered under extended warranty policy's.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So its been 6 months and 15,000km's since I got the new motor put in the dirtymax, Just though I'd give an update on how its been. Haven't had single issue with it (knock on wood). Have to give props to the mechanic that worked on it, last oil change he seen me and went out of his way to come talk to me to see how the motor was running. You could tell he took pride in his work. Hopefully its trouble free for another 160,000 km's like my other dirtymax.

Pretty sad that today's trucks guys are hoping to get 160-200 thousand klick out of these things. What happen to the days of running a diesel for 400+ thousand klicks

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what happened to the days when you could drive your vw rabbit diesel behind the mcdonalds strain 5 gallons of fry grease and roll out for 500km.. only premium diesel or else.. lol

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad that today's trucks guys are hoping to get 160-200 thousand klick out of these things. What happen to the days of running a diesel for 400+ thousand klicks

You still will get 400,000kms with a Cummins.

Top Bottom