New 2015 Chevy Duramax blown Engine

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2005 Chev duramax after owning it from new and never had 1 issue in that time, the truck never seen the service shop once except for the oil changes. Bought a new 2015 Chev duramax in June this yr, Really like it for the first 500kms. The truck has been in the shop 5 times for over 20 plus days, with engine issues. I got the call Friday from the shop to come look at my new truck with 8000kms on it, see attached pics. Was really disheartening seeing your truck in pieces. I know stuff happens but am I unreasonable to ask for a new truck? Yes they are putting in new duramax motor but it just won't be or will it? Thoughts on this people, what would you do?

Attachments

• image (004).jpg
    image (004).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 950
  • image (008).jpg
    image (008).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 943
  • image (010).jpg
    image (010).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 940
  • image (00C).jpg
    image (00C).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 951

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine how you feel. Aside from the pain of having the truck in 5 times already, at least you don't have to fight with them to fix it. I'd feel the same way, but I hear the whole engine swap thing isn't nearly as invasive as it looks - I guess they're able to take the body off the truck in under an hour.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They figure it was a piece left in from factory or part of the EGR valve that went through it. Not chipped or deleted, plain stock truck. They do want engine back to analyze it and figure it out. Yeah the tires pissed me off too, take them off instead of leaving flat with rims on it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can ask for a new truck but not going to happen unless you are wanting to pay more $.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can ask for a new truck but not going to happen unless you are wanting to pay more $.

I put a request in with GM assist and they are going to review the case, because this has been an issue from day one you never know. It doesn't hurt to ask, if not I will fight for extended warrantee on the whole truck including the electrical.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They figure it was a piece left in from factory or part of the EGR valve that went through it. Not chipped or deleted, plain stock truck. They do want engine back to analyze it and figure it out. Yeah the tires pissed me off too, take them off instead of leaving flat with rims on it.
Only way I can see them needing clearance is for the cab. Even then put a stand under it and take the tire off. Doesn't explain why the rear tire is flat though? Lol probably too lazy to engage the parking brake, or too dumb to put a blocks on the tires so they deflated it so it won't roll. Using that picture I would most definitely be going after new tires. Like said before, the sidewalks are weak, especially with a heavy truck like a 3/4 ton sittin on the sidewall on a sharp edge of a rim.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya no idea why the tech would flatten the tires to lift the cab, unless he's short lol

I've lift the cabs lots, never had to flatten the tires

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So tex, you are a GM mechanic right? I should have no reservations about the truck once it's fixed, have you seen this much in the duramax's?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blown away why they are doing what they did to remove motor.. Pulled a fair share of duramaxes motors and never flattened tires, never removed cab and would have motors out on the floor and replacement in in less than a eight hr day, and running in a long day

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Blown away why they are doing what they did to remove motor.. Pulled a fair share of duramaxes motors and never flattened tires, never removed cab and would have motors out on the floor and replacement in in less than a eight hr day, and running in a long day

They were just pulling a cylinder head. Pretty sure cab removal makes that job WAY easier.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New truck, no way I would of left them pull a head off with out replacing the motor first..Takes 12 hr r and r for the head, less too replace the motor and easier.. Compression test would of seen the low cylinder threw the glow plug hole.. Discuss with service manager, it's a new truck

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of my brothers had a new chev 1/2 ton and the motor went in the first 10000km , gm only wanted to put a replacement motor in. He asked what a replacement motor was they told him a motor with around the same km out if a wrecked truck! He had to fight hard to get a new motor. So I would make sure they put a new crate motor in not a replacement motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New truck, no way I would of left them pull a head off with out replacing the motor first..Takes 12 hr r and r for the head, less too replace the motor and easier.. Compression test would of seen the low cylinder threw the glow plug hole.. Discuss with service manager, it's a new truck

Gm still uses glow plugs ?

Cummins610

Reaction score
Yes that is a common failure, I forgot now what GMs fix is, not not the first time the EGR has thrown metal into a LML DMAX. They use glow plugs and a grid heater, the glow plugs are reliable unlike those from the past..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes glow plugs still used, under the exhaust manifold, don't take long to take out with fender well removed, after 06 they also went to intake pre heater in charge tube to quicken warm up

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So tex, you are a GM mechanic right? I should have no reservations about the truck once it's fixed, have you seen this much in the duramax's?
Yes g.m tech, only seen one motor bad ( too much crank thrust back and forth , but found to be chipped after lol) , other was same truck with new motor and had external head gasket leak like 1.5 years and 15000 km later

The pic I put up is cab up for doing the high psi side system replacement, have to replace it all because of crappy fuel, this was under warranty , but watch out guys... Don't run crap, free, rig fuel, or its all on u and a big bill

Anything with too much sulphur ( parts per million ) and it's easy to test and find out

Top Bottom