Need to fix my odometer/spedo/trip meter

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband opened it up and the chain was off the sprocket, drive shaft is bent. Ughhhh. Trying to get the sprocket loose right now.

Just goes to show... that the advice you get on here is not always good advice!! in the future make a call to your local shop and ask them for some free advice!! any experienced mechanic would tell you that your driveshaft bearing is probably on its way out when the odometer stops!!
hope its not too costly of a repair for you!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
Just goes to show... that the advice you get on here is not always good advice!! in the future make a call to your local shop and ask them for some free advice!! any experienced mechanic would tell you that your jackshaft bearing is probably on its way out when the odometer stops!!
hope its not too costly of a repair for you!

lol
how can you say something like that ?
if you would ead the whole thread you would notice that a couple people mentioned the bearings as a possible cause !!!!

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did read the whole thread.. sorry, I should have said "SOME OF THE ADVICE" so that all would understand my point! Ask a professional if in doubt!

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did read the whole thread.. sorry, I should have said "SOME OF THE ADVICE" so that all would understand my point! Ask a professional if in doubt!

Thanks for making us seem like a bunch of idiots............lol

First of all, the jack shaft has nothing to do with the speedo, nada, we were, or at least most of us were pointing at the "Drive" shaft that drives the speedo and that it is possible that the bearing is shot. I don't have all the info here from sledding mom, but My guess is that the drive shaft bearing let go, causeing the drive shaft to twist and bending the gear on the chain case end.............

My point is that what just happened to her sled was not a result of us misleading her in any way...............we told her exactly possible causes of why the speedo might not be working........

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

First of all, the jack shaft has nothing to do with the speedo, nada, we were, or at least most of us were pointing at the "Drive" shaft that drives the speedo and that it is possible that the bearing is shot. I don't have all the info here from sledding mom, but My guess is that the drive shaft bearing let go, causeing the drive shaft to twist and bending the gear on the chain case end.............

My point is that what just happened to her sled was not a result of us misleading her in any way...............we told her exactly possible causes of why the speedo might not be working........

First. my comments weren't intended to make anyone seem like an idiot! second.. I meant driveshaft bearing!
Third.. My advice , which was she should talk to a PROFESSIONAL, seems to bother some of you! but was probably the best advice in the thread!! I only wish I was able to comment before she broke it !!
Again, my intention is not to offend anyone.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a matter of fact there were even suggestions NOT TO RIDE IT.

and btw....most people giving advice on here i trust more than my local dealers which are completely useless.

some of us have YEARSSSSS of experience and know alot more than a tech that just got out of school.

not saying there arent good dealerships but it got so bad for me that i gave up taking it there and asking for advice because they would tell you something that doesnt make sence or is wrong.. my snowmobile has gone in on occasion and they said they fix it and it still had the problem...i could go on.

but the point is the tips and advice given on here are what keeps us from BENDING OVER to our dealerships. Thousands of people have overcome problems on here thanks to the advice of the experienced guys on here

/end rant

ps. ill be watching for your name next time your in deep trouble and need a quick fix and your PROFESSIONAL is no where to be found or has no answer

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First. my comments weren't intended to make anyone seem like an idiot! second.. I meant driveshaft bearing!
Third.. My advice , which was she should talk to a PROFESSIONAL, seems to bother some of you! but was probably the best advice in the thread!! I only wish I was able to comment before she broke it !!

No worries.............No offense taken..............."in addition to all our advice" seek professional help" sounds better lol :d

ya hope it does not cost her alot to fix, and cause her to be down long..........

Cheers

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly Labradorian. I was talking to Dusty and he figured the bearing shifted everything out of wack thus causing the drive shaft to twist. He is very helpful. I have to completely take the fall for this as I was to intimidated to take my track off and convinced myself that it would be ok. My fault, but also my learning experience. I am no Powder princess who likes to sit pretty on my sled and run to the shop when something goes wrong. There are no words to express my gratitude for all of the help I have received not only for this thread but others where you guys helped me to trouble shoot. My husband has not ridden in 25 years so we both are experiencing a very steep learning curve! He works long hours so whatever I can do to maintain my own sled I want to do. I feel very respected by the individuals who took time out of their day to help me. I have tracked down a service manual that will be dropped off tomorrow, a great guy who sleds out here created a diagram to help me pull my track. And about the money factor.... I told my friend 6 years ago to throw my old engagement ring into Kootenay lake. She phoned today to tell me that she never threw the ring out and wanted me to pawn it to get something nice for my snowmobile. Hee heee. I would think, bearings and a new drive shaft are something nice..

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear theres a silver lining to your story!!!.. there are alot of good and knowledgable people on this website. I have purchased a track and a sled through snowandmud.coms classifieds ads. not to mention all the great threads...
Maxwell sorry to hear you've been bent over so many times!! lol
and don't worry I have a trust worthy, fully experienced Tech, you wont see me asking for a quick fix on a website..

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol i was bent over once. but i didnt take it

i got my money back and never stepped foot in there again

Thanks for clarifying that!! lol
there is a great shop in Kamloops
great rates and great guys! They organize rides with thier customers and we have had alot of fun out there! And nothing beats having your tech on a ride with you!! let him ride your sled for 10 minutes and he knows what you need!!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

TOO LATE looks like you already did

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
sledingmom
i just got a chaincase with gears and chain on ebay
if youll find out if 900 king cat parts will fit your sled

we could make some kind of deal

MOMMA

Active VIP Member