Need to fix my odometer/spedo/trip meter

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. I didn't try the drill in reverse so I'll do that first. I'm thinking that I will get a new speedo cable. If all goes well the clouds will part, angels will sing and my speedo will work. If not I will pull the track and change the bearings. What takes you one night will probably take me a couple of days, I better be real nice to sleddingdad! Changing the cable and bearings sound like good ideas anyways. Win/Win
Thanks so much.:beer::d

don't rush into anything until you are sure what it is that needs replacing. would be a shame to tear down your sled and loose saddle time just because the speedo is NFG. To me sounds like your cable is good and if your speedo is NFG, just run the rest of the season with out it.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't rush into anything until you are sure what it is that needs replacing. would be a shame to tear down your sled and loose saddle time just because the speedo is NFG. To me sounds like your cable is good and if your speedo is NFG, just run the rest of the season with out it.

Thanks again Pipes. Say Hi to Tucker lake for me too!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crapola..... is it ok to wait until spring to pull my track. I don't really want any down time, especially this late in the season. Sounds like this is a good idea anyway.

I wouldn't wait unless you ride in your backyard. Wouldn't want to get too far from home and blow your bearings. More hassle than its worth.:d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holey crap. you originally from these parts or just real handy with an atlas?

I spent so much time in your neck of the woods when I was young. Come from a Huge fishing family. My uncle and Aunt used to live in Bonneville, so summers and winters were awesome.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how long ago and who might they be.

They moved away about 8 years ago. Panich Music was my uncles music store. We had been going out there long before they moved to Bonnevile. Dad and uncle used to tell us stories of how Joe Laprat(sp) pulled them out in the middle of the night when they were duck hunting. Lots of really neat stories.
Is the music store still there?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They moved away about 8 years ago. Panich Music was my uncles music store. We had been going out there long before they moved to Bonnevile. Dad and uncle used to tell us stories of how Joe Laprat(sp) pulled them out in the middle of the night when they were duck hunting. Lots of really neat stories.
Is the music store still there?

don't know never payed much attention.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He played the Bars alot. He had a unique Willy Nelson act complete with the braids.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to my 99 PS. What happens is there is a square rod that runs from the speedo cable to the front drive shaft. This breaks when the drive bearings go. To replace the drive bearings, you have to pull the track, skid, and front drive shaft out to get at those buggers.

But before you take all that apart, make sure that it is that. When you pull your speedo drive out, there should be a long square shaft, if it is in 2 pieces, it doesnt hurt to get another one and replace the the broken one. If it breaks again, then you have bearings to do.

Exactly what Spike said...................When the speedo stops working, it's either the cable is broke, or the piece that connects the cable to the shaft down by the track is broke.

Usually when the speedo stops working, it is a indication that the drive shaft bearing on your left(as if you were sitting on the sled) is on it's way out, this causes the shaft to move around and wears out the end of the speedo cable or breaks the piece that connects the cable to the shaft..................

So the first thing to do is disconnect the cable down below the belt and spin it to see if it works(also check to see that it is square in shape and not stripped round).............if it does work you know it's the piece between the cable and the shaft is broken.........................

this should narrow down where your problem is.................it's not an complicated job to remove the drive shaft but takes a little time and sometimes a 2 woman job...............:d

good luck!

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are steering her in the wrong direction. if the cable is good and she tries to spin the cable with a drill and the speedo won't work then the problem is in the speedo? am i missing somethingÉ

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are steering her in the wrong direction. if the cable is good and she tries to spin the cable with a drill and the speedo won't work then the problem is in the speedo? am i missing somethingÉ

Yes you are right, that's why we are getting her to check this...........to determine where the problem is................the cable/speedo or where it connects to drivetrain.....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reaper pulls what little hair he has out aaaaaaaaaghhh:rant::rant::confused:

Don't worry reap, I'll get it. Had to teach music today and kids had basketball, then had to do hairdoos, so I'll tinker tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.:d

rotte

Reaction score
my speedo quit two and a half years ago changed the drive key on front track drive twice as soon as i went from foreward to reverse it broke again. I think the keyway in track drive is worn. On the bright side i'm still at 10000 miles.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still given-er in the mean time. I think it is the actual speedo. Been tinkering, listening to everything you guys are saying. (you guys are awesome!) Putting many many kms on it. If everything goes ok, I'll keep going, and in the spring pull my track and most likely while it's off change out the bearing. Hee hee, Labradorian, I was trying to find another woman to help me, but there was no takers? None of my girl friends have the least bit of interest in sleds, let alone getting greasy! Oh well, I'll get my kids to help me and call it "shop".

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap! Just got towed home. I was on my husband's M7, but he said all of a sudden my sled just wouldn't move. Looks like I was wrong. He thought I blew a gear, or the keyway. What happens when the bearing goes?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband opened it up and the chain was off the sprocket, drive shaft is bent. Ughhhh. Trying to get the sprocket loose right now.

Top Bottom