Need to fix my odometer/spedo/trip meter

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to try to fix my sled myself again, but I need some troubleshooting tips. My Odometer, spedometer and trip meter, all in the same gauge circle are not working. As soon as my Odometer turned 2000 everything stopped working. It stopped before my crash. I am the furthest thing from Mechanical, but I do try. Any tips before I start poking around.
I don't have the manual, the guy hasn't dropped it off yet.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im guessing its a broken cable. follow the cable down and disconnect it from both ends. turn the metal rod inside and see if it turns at the other end. If it does, the piece on the sp[eedo head that the cable screws onto is probably broken inside. its a $15 piece, i think a cable is about $45. good luck:d

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
she should have a mechanical guage, not digital. i looked in the manual I have but it dosnt show anything regarding the speedo. Let us know what you find sleddermom!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
she should have a mechanical guage, not digital. i looked in the manual I have but it dosnt show anything regarding the speedo. Let us know what you find sleddermom!

Thanks so much. Going out right away. I'll let you know.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im guessing its a broken cable. follow the cable down and disconnect it from both ends. turn the metal rod inside and see if it turns at the other end. If it does, the piece on the sp[eedo head that the cable screws onto is probably broken inside. its a $15 piece, i think a cable is about $45. good luck:d

It is most likely your cable as mentioned by posnick. I had a '98 zr that the cable broke. It's the square rod that runs inside the plastic housing. Your speedo is a mechanical unit.

Good for you on fixing yur own sled! My wife would never attempt to even pick up a wrench? :) I probably would'nt let her anyways :rolleyes:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I traced it back and got both ends unscrewed. The cable will rotate at the opposite end when I spin it. So it is the speedo head?

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try spining it with the cable still attached to the speedo and by hand at the other end. Mine stopped working once becasue the inside was to much at on end and the cabe wouldn't thread on any farther. I took it off repositioned the rod and put it back on and it started working.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I traced it back and got both ends unscrewed. The cable will rotate at the opposite end when I spin it. So it is the speedo head?

I know on my summit i was able to change the piece on the speedo head that the cable connects to. not 100 % sure if it can be done on the cat. one way to test it is to connect the cable to the speedo head and put a drill on the other end of the cable. see if the speedo move using the drill. if not it is definitley up there. if not then it an issue where it connects in the jackshaft. i can have a look at my cat when i get home tonight and see whats involved. isnt trouble shooting fun!:d

spike7ss

Reaction score
Had this happen to my 99 PS. What happens is there is a square rod that runs from the speedo cable to the front drive shaft. This breaks when the drive bearings go. To replace the drive bearings, you have to pull the track, skid, and front drive shaft out to get at those buggers.

But before you take all that apart, make sure that it is that. When you pull your speedo drive out, there should be a long square shaft, if it is in 2 pieces, it doesnt hurt to get another one and replace the the broken one. If it breaks again, then you have bearings to do.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to my 99 PS. What happens is there is a square rod that runs from the speedo cable to the front drive shaft. This breaks when the drive bearings go. To replace the drive bearings, you have to pull the track, skid, and front drive shaft out to get at those buggers.

But before you take all that apart, make sure that it is that. When you pull your speedo drive out, there should be a long square shaft, if it is in 2 pieces, it doesnt hurt to get another one and replace the the broken one. If it breaks again, then you have bearings to do.

ughhhhhhhhhh

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on my summit i was able to change the piece on the speedo head that the cable connects to. not 100 % sure if it can be done on the cat. one way to test it is to connect the cable to the speedo head and put a drill on the other end of the cable. see if the speedo move using the drill. if not it is definitley up there. if not then it an issue where it connects in the jackshaft. i can have a look at my cat when i get home tonight and see whats involved. isnt trouble shooting fun!:d

Thanks. got my drill. we'll see what happens.
:d

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this happen to my 99 ps. What happens is there is a square rod that runs from the speedo cable to the front drive shaft. This breaks when the drive bearings go. To replace the drive bearings, you have to pull the track, skid, and front drive shaft out to get at those buggers.

exactly!!!

spike7ss

Reaction score
I know thats not what you wanted to hear. Ive heard that its best to replace those bearings every year. It isnt too hard to do, just a bit of time to get all the parts off and put it all together again.

Mine has gone since I did them last year, and I have been running for a bit without the speedo working. So far havent had any problems. But I will be replacing them soon

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a explosion drawing to help you out if neccessary... #9 (adapter, drive speedometer) might be yur culprit? Hope it's just yur cable. Are the ends still nice and square?

Attachments

• 0733-901_s.gif
    0733-901_s.gif
    23 KB · Views: 43

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The ends are nice and square. I hooked up my drill to the end of the cable but when I turned it on the speedo didn't move. You figure that #9 on the diagram is it?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try spining it with the cable still attached to the speedo and by hand at the other end. Mine stopped working once becasue the inside was to much at on end and the cabe wouldn't thread on any farther. I took it off repositioned the rod and put it back on and it started working.

I'm going to go and Tinker, maybe I'll get a miracle like Reaper.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to right down some more info for you but talking about twisting the square shaft at the base to feel if the rod is in the speedo just came out sounding all wrong. lol:eek:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it dosnt turn when you turn the drill its either a broken cable OR the attachment on the head. Did you pull on the square wire inside to see if a piece will come out? if its broken you will be able to pull half out. does the other end of the cable turn with the drill hooked up?

Top Bottom