NEED HELP...Odyssey won't start

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so old faithful won't start.

Its a '83 Honda Odyssey 250 2-stroke.

It hasn't been ridden in about 10 months, it was running fine when i last rode it, .

I have good spark, and i have primed it to make sure there is fuel but still it won't even fire, I am sure the compression is fine but i am at my whits end, I have tried priming, not priming, choking, not choking, throtte wide open, i have even tried priming directly into the cylinder, and still won't even fire!!

It has been such an easy start in the past even when it has sat for over a year, but now nothing, won't fire once to even give me hope.

What should i do know, what do i try next please help!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a gooder. dont know much about these units but could it be a stuck open valve, hence not getting compression and just blowing out any fuel you put into the cylinder. I would check compression and go from there.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried new gas?
Drain everything and replace with fresh stuff.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK s i just went and bought a compression tester and its at 110psi which should rule out a stuck valve??

I have been priming it with fresh gas, which one would think with compression and spark it should fire????

Still nothing!!

Any more ides?????

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put new fuel in, the fuel filter is fine, tried another new plug, still no fire!!

I know there is some mechaics out there, I'm down for any suggestions!!

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Your compression is in the middle for a 2 stroke Jay. Is the spark plug wet when you pull it after trying to start it? If so your crank case might be full of fuel. To drain turn off your fuel and crank without plug in. This will dry the cases out. You should see not fuel coming out of the plug hole when it is dry. Now you should be able to try and start your machine. If it does not start pull the plug and see if it is wet. If so might be float in carb is sticking or damaged. Try this stuff first and let us know the results.

Dragon

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got it going, took trying everything, but finally started still not quite sure why it wouldn't for so long but thanks for the tips

twodogsgrrr

Reaction score
I have two odysseys. One is all together but I can not get it to start. I get some weak spits and sputters but no GO! changed the fuel, tried to prime it direct, tried 2 different plugs still no go. I get spark but I think it may be a bit weak. I'm going to change the coil from my other one and try that but in the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas?

Top Bottom