Need help diagnosing a problem.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm riding a 2004 800 Vertical edge Polaris. It has 795 miles on it.
<---------
Was out today. Machine ran flawlessly all day.
I noticed an irregular noise. Kind of a little rattle of some sort. I was aware of it but sled was running great so thought I would monitor it (i'm anal with everything so thought to myself I don't like that but it's probably nothing).
As I rode around some more the machine seemed off. I played with the throttle, I thought it was bogging a bit, didn't seen as responsive as normal so I punched it and it seemed to clear up. Rode for a bit more and noise started to get a little louder. No vibrations, just noise. I could smell the belt a bit during the day. I had the clutch balanced and re worked as a precaution (800 crank issues) and since then I have been able to slip it a bit every once in a while. It takes off SUPER smooth so thought there might be a trade off.
So now I'm really worried, Crank bearing comes to mind right away so I shut it down and pull over. I have a look around. Yank on the crank clutch seems solid. No up and down moment, no end play. So I fire it up. Sounds great idling. Start rolling again and it just doesn't seem right sop I punch it again to see if it will clear up and I get a huge vibration and honorable noise so I shut it down immediately and we towed it back to the truck.
I get back to the truck and threw a new belt on it. The belt I took of was smoking hot and looked pretty glazed so I thought what could a new belt hurt. I fire it up. Sounds beautiful. I go to take off and the thing dame near bucks me off. Clutch is BANGING hard on and off. Engage , disengage. I think WTF belt needs to be broke in?? So I open the hood and slowly take off and again (and now I can see it as well) clutch is bang bang bang In and out. I tried to get it up to speed and it seemed like it wanted to settle down a bit but said screw it and loaded it on the truck.

You can hear the rattle a bit in this clip... This is how it started. I don't have a clip of it when it was bad :-( The rattle is noticeable at the 1:00 minute mark as I get off the throttle and back on again but doesn't go away..

So here I sit wondering to myself Now what......

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did look at the spring, it looks OK but I haven't pulled anything apart. Can I disassemble the clutch in the sled or do I need to remove it? I made a removal tool so can take it off if that is what I need to do.

Another little clip. I did a doughnut and it kinda powed out. Just didn't seem right.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me thinks your clutch is toast .......... sorry for your loss

and I might have a good use one cheap

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant remember if the p85 has it, but ive seen this happen where the spring retainer cracked and the sliding sheave got pretty sloppy. Id check that is addition to the spring.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can remove the primary spring very easily with the clutch still installed on the crank. Remove three of the six cover bolts, evenly spaced. Then back out the remaining three evenly and hold a little pressure on the cover when the bolts are close to being removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put it on a track stand open hood and clutch cover start sled have a buddy rev sled to about 5000 rpms and watch your clutches should see something. touch the brake just enough to put pressure on drive line

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK I did some checks... took it apart. I'm not sure what is normal or not so I'll post my findings...

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put it all back together, put the old belt back on and fired it up... Maybe the new belt was the reason for the clutch banging? She sure looks and sounds good now..... WTF.

I was hitting the kill switch to idle it down... My left hand throttle cable needs to be adjusted, its hanging a little bit.

Wasn't easy pulling the brake and holding the camera at the same time....

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SO now i'm thinking about the main bearings. The shutter that it did on the trail was bad.
I posted that first video on my Face Book page and didn't say a thing about the issues I was having. A friend of a fried PM's me and says check your main bearings as he didn't like the sound of the engine. That came totally out of the blue.
He said one cylinder can lean out if the bearings are gong so I checked the plugs and did a compression (Wet ) test.

Again not 100% if this is all good so ill let you have a peek.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way it is now or seems to be I'd take it out in a second and ride it. But I know something aint right.....

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that 80psi compression? Can't read the gauge clearly in the picture. Seems pretty low if that's what it is reading.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill have a look at the drive.

Both cylinders were dead on 110PSI. (If you click on the picture its actually a video.)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant visually see any issues at all. It looks like I'll be pulling the engine and sending it out for the bearing upgrade and anything else that doesn't look right while they are in there.
I have been talking to Dan (Indy Dan) and sent him all the same information. He's not sure where the ratting could be but suspects a wrist pin, says it isn't uncommon. He is the one that did my clutch for me.

So my next question is. Is there anything I need to know before I rip this engine out? Anything I can do to make the installation easier example motor alignment?

I'll probably go with Dan for the rebuild. Going to cost a bit to ship to the USA but I don't know of anyone else that will give a three year warranty on a rebuild.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd have someone that knows exactly what they're doing check it out for you before tearing the motor out.

Top Bottom