Need a sled for the girlfriend

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Phazer for the first half of last year, I would certainly not recommend the Phazer to anyone. Now I know some people like them, but why...I'll never know after owning one. It wasn't the lack of power it was just so darn tippy..... on and off the trail. My wife tried it a couple of times and absolutely hated it.

I understand what your saying. My wife has the same complaint, along with it wanting to dart side to side on the trail. I put on Simmons Gen2 skis to help make it more stable, and installed oilite bushings in the a-arms to reduce the steering slop. Did this over the summer so I don’t know how it will work. If it doesn’t work I may be looking for something different. My wife is a timid and inexperienced rider, not really a good combination with a Phazer.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what your saying. My wife has the same complaint, along with it wanting to dart side to side on the trail. I put on Simmons Gen2 skis to help make it more stable, and installed oilite bushings in the a-arms to reduce the steering slop. Did this over the summer so I don’t know how it will work. If it doesn’t work I may be looking for something different. My wife is a timid and inexperienced rider, not really a good combination with a Phazer.

I dont recall lyn complaining about darting but i did see her tip it over a number of times. Most of that trying to learn to carve though. The reasons i bought her a phazer:

A) it was reasonably priced and basically brand new
B) A 4 stroke
C) electric start and reverse

I think as she progresses in riding she will want something with more power. I will probably look at a 600 two stroke when the time comes since they are light and have decent power. I am not sure if any of them had electric start though but once the sled is warmed up, im sure she would be able to start it.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont recall lyn complaining about darting but i did see her tip it over a number of times. Most of that trying to learn to carve though. The reasons i bought her a phazer:

B) A 4 stroke

I think as she progresses in riding she will want something with more power. I will probably look at a 600 two stroke when the time comes since they are light and have decent power. I am not sure if any of them had electric start though but once the sled is warmed up, im sure she would be able to start it.

Those are the same reasons I bought my Phazer as well. I’m not saying it’s a bad sled, and definitely can be fun. It just may not be the sled for Heather. We will find out this season. Of not I will be looking at a 600 two stroke. Possibly a Polaris Switchback. I know my 800 can be hard to pull over, but the 600 should be a lot easier. Electric start can always be installed.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

B) A 4 stroke

I don't think most beginner sledders will complain much about darting as they likely think that this is simply how a sled handles. Once they ride a sled that doesn't dart they will hate the Phazer. I forgot about how bad the thing was for darting until it was mentioned. I played with the limiter strap and shock adjustments but nothing helped. I did hear from people that a better set of skiis helped but I wasn't about to put $500 dollars into it as there was so much more about the sled I didn't like and knew it was gonna go. The reasons you bought the sled are exactly the same reasons I picked one up. However I feel the Phazer is a good sled for turning someone off of sledding. I was more tired at the end of the day from fighting with that thing than I am after throwing my 800 Summit around for 6 or 7 hours. As for starting without electric start, the 2007 600 Summit I just got for the wife pulls over very easy. She has no problem pulling it, and she's not a physically strong girl.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife got my 2000 Rmk 800 156" when I upgraded. She loved the wide seat and power but the handlebars were to low. Raised them up 4" and put wind guards on so she can stand when she wants. Loved the stability(already had Simmons skis on) and track length, as long as she stays in my trail in the deep pow, she follows everywhere I go. It took her a yr to get used to the sled, but shes high marking and boondocking with the women like crazy. Just a note, my wife would rather ride a horse but she loves her Rmk.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you crazy guys out there. You just need to do what I did, found a girl with a sled. Woman, as far as I'm concerned, are like GI Joes. There alright by them selves (boarder line boring really), but with accessories, they can kick some real ass.

best hope she don't see this post or you ain't gettin' any fer a while

ballsout

Reaction score
Get her a venture and add a 1.5" paddle track, then get her some saddle bages and you can easily fit a med to large cooler on the back seat. That'll get her to the cabin and then she can cook while the boys ride ;)

dooski

Reaction score
I have a 1998 670 summit for sale you can call for details and price. 1-403-505-9759

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 670 summit for sale you can call for details and price. 1-403-505-9759

I think one of the best selds for a new rider is a m-8 Handles good and predictable its light and can be riden anywhere. Just my thoughts

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need a girlfriend for the sled. LOL. Wife does not want to ride hers. LOL:d:d:d

triplethreat

Reaction score
Need to get my girlfriend a sled for this season. Not sure what to get her. New, used? What size? Any suggestions?

used is good but you gotta look it over real well
first sign is the exhaust pipe rusty looking means its been stored outside in summer
second is the suspension any rust
does it bottom out when you stand on the bumper{jump up and down]
if your a first time in the sport get a 500cc or less

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree, the Phazer is not an ideal beginner sled. Start her out on a sit-down style sled that is light, stable on the trails and warm. Once she has gained some experience and tried a few other sleds she will tell you what she wants.

The two strokes have a much softer start-up @ clutch engagement which beginners like. The 4strokes have a lot more torque at engagement which can be a little scary to beginners.

I started my wife on a '96 Phazer. They were tippy compared to other sleds of the same year due to the narrow ski stance (struts) but stable compared to any of todays higher CG sleds. She moved to a '07 Phazer after a couple of years and has never put it on it's side - trail riding only.

She could not start the '96 Phazer and it pissed her off that I had to come over and start it for her. Electric start and reverse will make her happy.

2stroke
electric start
reverse
warm
light
stable

New or used depends on your cash situ and how handy you are (time permitting) or willing to accept new sled depreciation.

I've got three female beginners in my family (7&9 yr old daughters) and that's what I would look for. The model of sled and track length will depend on whether your trail riding or powder riding. I'd keep her close to trails to start anyways unless she is adventurous and will not get frustrated by the steep learning curve in powder riding.

good luck,

Shawn.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you crazy guys out there. You just need to do what I did, found a girl with a sled. Woman, as far as I'm concerned, are like GI Joes. There alright by them selves (boarder line boring really), but with accessories, they can kick some real ass.

LOL...women with accessories do not need men :d

Hey Newbie08...I started on an 07 600sdi. Reverse, but no estart. These sleds start and run flawlessly. Great for learning on, lots of power and good in the mountains and powder.
What kind of riding is your wife into? Makes a big difference if she's going to be mainly a trail rider with a bit of off trail or if she's gonna want to go full on into mountain riding and be a more aggressive rider. Lots of women seem content with getting out and being warm and comfortable are the most important things...some of us want to tear it up and keep up with the big boyz :d
Best not to underestimate her desire or potential ability as not having enough sled might be frustrating too.

couchrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL...women with accessories do not need men :d

Hey Newbie08...I started on an 07 600sdi. Reverse, but no estart. These sleds start and run flawlessly. Great for learning on, lots of power and good in the mountains and powder.
What kind of riding is your wife into? Makes a big difference if she's going to be mainly a trail rider with a bit of off trail or if she's gonna want to go full on into mountain riding and be a more aggressive rider. Lots of women seem content with getting out and being warm and comfortable are the most important things...some of us want to tear it up and keep up with the big boyz :d
Best not to underestimate her desire or potential ability as not having enough sled might be frustrating too.

Thanks TamDoo and all others for your input. Right now Im am leaning towards a 600 Rev for her. Just my opinion so far but will try to get her out on a few sleds on trail and off to let her see what she likes and go from there. Hopefully she will want to follow me around boondocking the hills but if she wants to stay to the trails will make for a nice and easy riding day or trip. See you all out on the trails and hills.
:cool:

Top Bottom